PDA

View Full Version : Man this hunting season is starting out ROUGH

scott26
August 29th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Well this year I did not get drawn for a single quota permit. Not one. Gator, gun,archery, special hog, muzzleloader, nada not one. Not too huge a deal as I WAS going to Ohio to hunt for two weeks. Well as of two days ago that trip has fallen through now also. Living in south FL my opportunities are few and far between.

Does anyone have any knowledge of hunting the Ocala Natl Forest WMA? I will be in Daytona later ths year and thought about taking an extra few days off from work. Was wondering how easy it is to acess and if it is over-run with other hunters.

Also if anyone has any suggestions on another WMA that doesnt need a quota man I am all ears. Doesnt matter what part of the state as I will travel. Cant do an outfitter due to low funds. I got to start scrambling for different plans or I may have to scrap this season, something I cant even fathom. Thanks all.

Scott

FredGarvin
August 30th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Well this year I did not get drawn for a single quota permit. Not one. Gator, gun,archery, special hog, muzzleloader, nada not one. Not too huge a deal as I WAS going to Ohio to hunt for two weeks. Well as of two days ago that trip has fallen through now also. Living in south FL my opportunities are few and far between.

Does anyone have any knowledge of hunting the Ocala Natl Forest WMA? I will be in Daytona later ths year and thought about taking an extra few days off from work. Was wondering how easy it is to acess and if it is over-run with other hunters.

Also if anyone has any suggestions on another WMA that doesnt need a quota man I am all ears. Doesnt matter what part of the state as I will travel. Cant do an outfitter due to low funds. I got to start scrambling for different plans or I may have to scrap this season, something I cant even fathom. Thanks all.

Scott

Bull Creek and ThreeLakes are WMA's that only require quotas for the first weekend (Archery) and first 9 days (Gen Gun). Both are in Osceola Co. and centrally located --- I'm just north of Ft Myers and my buddies are in Palm Beach Co. and is a great location to meet up for a weekend.

I don't know of a non-Quota WMA that isn't crowded for general gun, so I simply pick and choose my days during that season (mostly hunt on Fridays and Mondays when I can get away from work). Other than that, hunt hard during Archery --- the average WMA hunter doesn't like it (weather, water, mosquitos, etc) and is relatively quiet.

Last season, my stand locations up front were great actually. Not a sole around and plenty of game movement. My stands out west of the turnpike were even more quiet, with only one single hunter (and I know him) was within 3/4 of a mile from me.

With 55,000 acres, there's plenty of space and good opportunity to kill something.

scott26
August 30th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Fred,

Thanks for the great advice I will look in to those. I am just south of you in Cape Coral. I am not afraid at all of hunting with the skeeters and heat, I have been dealing with that my whole life....

Archery and General Gun both are what I will be looking at. Thanks again.

Scott

QuickReflex
August 30th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Look on the FWC website I belive there are several WMAs that are open to Archery w/o a quota, Bear island, & picayune strand is 2 of them I belive.

FredGarvin
August 30th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Fred,

Thanks for the great advice I will look in to those. I am just south of you in Cape Coral. I am not afraid at all of hunting with the skeeters and heat, I have been dealing with that my whole life....

Archery and General Gun both are what I will be looking at. Thanks again.

Scott

Also, Babcock Ranch Preserve is a new WMA up here in Charlotte Co..... It's all quota for the seasons, EXCEPT for small game! We should hook up come Jan or Feb I think --- hogs, no size or bag limit. Also, Nov-Jan in Myakka State Forest (Englwood, western Charlotte Co.) is open for hogs, no bag/size limit with an Archery and Shotgun only season. It's lots of walking, but a fun hunt and is local.

getumspike
August 30th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Hey guys, this is my first post. I live in Ft. Myers and I will be going down to big cypress this year. You don't need a quota for archery or most other hunting. The same goes for corbet. Check outthis link for a full list of wma's you can hunt without a quota.
[URL="http://myfwc.com/docs/RecreationActivities/hunt_WMAsQuotaPermitNotNeeded. pdf"]

soflanut
August 30th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Hey guys, this is my first post. I live in Ft. Myers and I will be going down to big cypress this year. You don't need a quota for archery or most other hunting. The same goes for corbet. Check outthis link for a full list of wma's you can hunt without a quota.
[URL="http://myfwc.com/docs/RecreationActivities/hunt_WMAsQuotaPermitNotNeeded. pdf"]

Both these get crowded on the weekends best to go during the week.

floridabou3
August 30th, 2009, 11:16 PM
if your going to daytona tiger bay is right down the road... and i know a good place off 40 i can show you and hook you up pm me and when you get rdy to come down give me a call and i'll help ya out....

scott26
August 31st, 2009, 07:35 PM
Also, Babcock Ranch Preserve is a new WMA up here in Charlotte Co..... It's all quota for the seasons, EXCEPT for small game! We should hook up come Jan or Feb I think --- hogs, no size or bag limit. Also, Nov-Jan in Myakka State Forest (Englwood, western Charlotte Co.) is open for hogs, no bag/size limit with an Archery and Shotgun only season. It's lots of walking, but a fun hunt and is local.

Fred,

I looked in to Myakka but got discouraged when a ranger told me the place is a zoo during small game season.

Babcock sounds great. I will give Myakka a try also. I would love to arrow some oinkers. Let me know Fred I would hunt with you any time. Much appreciated.

Scott

scott26
August 31st, 2009, 07:38 PM
if your going to daytona tiger bay is right down the road... and i know a good place off 40 i can show you and hook you up pm me and when you get rdy to come down give me a call and i'll help ya out....

Sounds great I will be heading up that way around the first week of December. I would like to hunt during the week if you have the time I would gladly hunt with ya. Any help is greatly appreciated. Always looking for more contacts. Thanks

Scott

scott26
August 31st, 2009, 07:40 PM

Im in Cape Coral. I havent been to Corbet but I know Big Cypress is awfully wet. At least all the parts I have seen. Good luck and if you want to meet up for some scouting PM me/let me know.

Scott

FredGarvin
August 31st, 2009, 07:51 PM
Fred,

I looked in to Myakka but got discouraged when a ranger told me the place is a zoo during small game season.

Babcock sounds great. I will give Myakka a try also. I would love to arrow some oinkers. Let me know Fred I would hunt with you any time. Much appreciated.

Scott

Yep, but not everyone is willing to hike around far enough to chase down them piggies! I learned my lesson a couple of years ago when I walked all the way to the river, played hide and seek with a group of pigs for an hour or so (never got a shot), then ran out of water. Didn't think I was going to make it back to the truck!!!

Anyway --- will keep in touch. :darkbeer:

floridabou3
August 31st, 2009, 08:21 PM
10/4 just let me know i also have a privite hunting camp let me know i'll be glad to help you out....

n.florida hunte
September 1st, 2009, 03:56 AM

Scott

I live in the big bend and there are plenty of wmas you can hunt up here. We start Sept. 26 th and you can pretty much hunt all of these areas during bow season without a quota permit. We are starting to kill bigger and bigger bucks every year. If you are interested in killing some hogs try Tide sawmp or Steinhatchee springs. I hunt both areas and get tired of hogs showing up while I am deer hunting. There are camp grounds in a little place call Tenilles which is right on top of both of these areas. Good Luck.