PDA

View Full Version : Went scouting today...

Teh Wicked
August 30th, 2009, 10:04 PM
So me and my buddy Tim decided today we was heading to Green Swamp to find our location to hunt. He had an area marked that he wanted to check out. SO we hit the gate this morning about 9am and got the bikes out and took off. 7 miles later we arrive at the location...:eek:

Walk into the cover .5 miles and started seeing ALOT of hog sign. lots of rooting in the trail. Get up in there and find our hunting locations. About the time I get my tinks put out a easy 200lb+ pig comes out of the cover and starts walking right towards us. And we wasnt exactly being quiet. Needless to say things got a little creepy there for a second. Pig was looking right at us and had no worry in the world about us. he gets within 15ft of us and I had started reaching for the knife thinking we was about to get down and dirty with a pissed off pig. After some stomping and loud sound making he ran off through the swamp crashing and raising hell.

So we turn to head out, 7 miles later back at the truck. I will NEVER do that again. My butt is so sore right now from that bicycle seat I cant walk. My legs feel like they are filled with arthritis. and im so dehydrated my pee smells like death...God FL hunting is terrible compared to the WV hunting im so used too...

camorobb
August 31st, 2009, 10:04 AM
Yea that sux. thats what I hate about green swamp. It a good spot if you can find a spot noones at, that the hard part. Saw a lot of doe last artchery season but couldnt get any shots off. Gonna try agin this year though.Good luck:)

JPizzle
August 31st, 2009, 11:00 AM
You honestly have to be in very good physicla shape to hunt public land in Florida. With the heat, deep standing water, and putting some distance in you get tired quick. Good luck there this year. Wait till you shoot a lil basket rack. It will be the hardest you have hunted for a small deer and you will be very proud.

HCON3
August 31st, 2009, 11:28 AM
Just to let you know did the same thing two yrs ago then went back opening morning and 15 trucks parked in every spot. Walked to stand area and had 10 lights put on us so went back to truck and got out of there. You might try Chassahowitzka WMA after the 9 day quota not as many people and no bikes open all year to scouting unlike Green Swamp. Same distance to drive too.

Teh Wicked
August 31st, 2009, 03:40 PM
Just to let you know did the same thing two yrs ago then went back opening morning and 15 trucks parked in every spot. Walked to stand area and had 10 lights put on us so went back to truck and got out of there. You might try Chassahowitzka WMA after the 9 day quota not as many people and no bikes open all year to scouting unlike Green Swamp. Same distance to drive too.

Might have to give that a try as well, I think its actually closer to me than Green Swamp.

So after the first 9 days its open to whom ever wants to get there cause they only give out 150 permits each day right? And the first 9 days hunting, is that a submitted deal or can it be frst come first serve?

HCON3
August 31st, 2009, 05:50 PM
The first 9days are quota permit only which there were 150 issued. After the 9 days it is open every day and anyone can hunt till the close of Archery. Sent you a pm.

Fldeerslayer
August 31st, 2009, 06:17 PM
Is this the famous teh wicked of teh-emo commercial spearfishing team?:wink:

Good luck hunting, I'm getting a taste of public land this year myself. I'm a good ways north of you but if I can help shoot me a PM.

Teh Wicked
August 31st, 2009, 07:08 PM
Is this the famous teh wicked of teh-emo commercial spearfishing team?:wink:

Good luck hunting, I'm getting a taste of public land this year myself. I'm a good ways north of you but if I can help shoot me a PM.

HAH! yeah thats me...

This is my first year of this public land hunting mess...

Gixxer
September 20th, 2009, 02:38 AM
More scouting today, still lots of fresh sign all over our hunting spot. A fattie hog ran across the road maybe 20yd away while we were changing back into our biking clothes. the other three turned around the other way and squealed away. Lucky for me I have all the necessary equipment to change a tire cause bike #2 gots a flat maybe 3mi from the truck. No biggie, change tube press on. Get back to the truck, get loaded up, back to the house. Unload bikes, and the other tire was flat! glad it happened there and not back in the woods.

Nother plug for Thermacell cause those skeeters the size of bumblebees didnt get me. Now all I need to do is get over that whole sweating thing.

Oh yea, just as much standing water as last time, the whole area is fairly wet.

Duckbill
September 20th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Oh yea, just as much standing water as last time, the whole area is fairly wet.

What was the acorn situation like? I'm hunting Richloam Baird Unit opening weekend and have been scouting pretty hard. The acorns are just barely starting to drop in certain areas.

My bike chain broke on me a few weeks ago while scouting Baird. I had a LONG walk back to the truck.

Gixxer
September 20th, 2009, 01:11 PM
to be honest with you I did not look at the acorns, my spot has nothing but pines all the way back to it from the road. With the steady rainstorms we have had all summer I would hope that there were enough acorns to go around.