Archery Talk Forum banner

Bad Apple in Camp Advice

1K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  Dthbyhoyt 
#1 ·
Hemroid has been a member of the moose gang for a long time. At first he was a good guy now he shows up in just his car, with his bow and guitar. We shuttle him around all week on our ATV's canoe's etc and listen to his BS stories along with his crappy singing.

This year Hemroid asks if his nonresident Dad can come and stay at camp, 6 weeks before the hunt. He gives the sob story of never seeing him and this would be a lifetime chance etc. etc. Feeling sorry for Hemroid we say stupidly yes. This now makes the camp a little more crowded (8 guys).

Now Hemroid thinks his Dad can come to stand with him. we have done some checking into Ontario rules and this appears to be illegal since lying in wait for game is part of the definition of hunting. Even if it is legal we really don't want to take Hemroids Dad in the woods b/c of extra noise, talking, lack of room etc.

I e-mailed Hemroid and told him his Dad can't come into the woods, no response. How long would you wait to re-email him and what would you say. Oh yeah you can't call him b/c he screens his calls and says " I never got the message"

Anyone ever booted someone out before.

See less See more
#3 ·
hemroid has been a member of the moose gang for a long time. At first he was a good guy now he shows up in just his car, with his bow and guitar. We shuttle him around all week on our atv's canoe's etc and listen to his bs stories along with his crappy singing.

This year hemroid asks if his nonresident dad can come and stay at camp, 6 weeks before the hunt. He gives the sob story of never seeing him and this would be a lifetime chance etc. Etc. Feeling sorry for hemroid we say stupidly yes. This now makes the camp a little more crowded (8 guys).

Now hemroid thinks his dad can come to stand with him. We have done some checking into ontario rules and this appears to be illegal since lying in wait for game is part of the definition of hunting. Even if it is legal we really don't want to take hemroids dad in the woods b/c of extra noise, talking, lack of room etc.

I e-mailed hemroid and told him his dad can't come into the woods, no response. How long would you wait to re-email him and what would you say. Oh yeah you can't call him b/c he screens his calls and says " i never got the message"

anyone ever booted someone out before.
so say you ...how does the rest of the group feel??????
Don't be too hard on him, he did ask didn't he?

It sounds a little selfish on your behalf ,maybe i'm wrong here ,but try to put yourself in his shoes for a moment.
do you just dislike him all around? after all he's just one guy out of the group. try to get along in hunting camp .
friends come and go in life ,but hunting buddys are forever!

#7 ·
You talk smack about the guy on here but you won't tell him to his face you don't like his actions,,,,,,sounds kind of backwards if you ask me. If you own the camp tell him he isn't welcome anymore,,,,,unless your afraid or something,,,,,,sorry I must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed or something today.

#11 ·
enough is enough, I'm sure that you (and others) have made comments about what buggs you, just tell him I will not be unhappy in my own camp. Time to move on. Camps are a delicate balance, we put up with an annoying guy that's a great cook, but we have limits...everyone must pull their weight, and someone without a truck, boat, atv...should realize they must be extra vigilant...

#15 ·
I would be upfront and honest with him. Let him know how you feel and other members of the camp feel and what you guys can do to resolve the issues. Let him know you don't want any hard feelings and you want everyone to get along and be happy. Tell him that you are trying to be harsh or kick him out of camp, but if it comes down to it, you will if you feel like it what's best for the camp. I would go ahead and send him another email and also give him a call. Does he have voicemail? If he does and won't answer your call, leave him a message letting him know you need to discuss some important issues related to the camp and would need to do that prior to your next camp gathering. If all else fails, confront him at camp about it. I think letting him know how you and other members feel and letting him know that the rules need to be followed will get your point across. If he ignores it and doesn't try to resolve the issues, I would send him on his way. He could be unaware you guys are unhappy with his actions and it might just be a misunderstanding. Once you have a conversation with him and lay everything out in the open, he won't have a reason to deny or ignore it.

#16 ·
You and the others need to decide whether you think the guy's behavior is possible to change or not. If not, and you can't put up with it, then as a group put your feet down. If you think the behavior that's ruining the camp can be corrected, be up front and honest about it. Nip the bad juju in the bud early if you can, and you might have a great camp partner for a long time.

It's just like with neighbors. I move a lot (military) so I always go introduce myself to my immediate neighbors if they don't already come over to say hi. I make it a point to let them know I want to be a good neighbor, and if there's anything I do that ends up annoying them or disturbing the neighborhood peace to please let me know. I won't intentionally do anything to annoy the 'hood, but I may do something annoying without knowing it, and I want them to know it's okay to let me know so I can stop doing whatever it is that's un-neighborly. Usually they end up extending the same offer right back at me.

I do the same when deployed... when in a group tent I warn others that I snore, and that I'll try to keep it down. But if it gets bad and keeps others up, they should poke me with a stick and tell me to roll over, and grab a pair of disposable ear plugs from the pile I leave laying out for others. During the few times when I hunt in a group, I usually start out with the same type of speech, and ask if anyone has any pet peeves to get out to the group ahead of time. This tends to limit problems before they happen.

Good luck! :darkbeer:

#17 ·
I dont see the nest holding eight guys specially when others are now aggravated by whatever reasons stated. I will tell you this, it is time for someone to leave the nest. One of the birds is being left out like a theif in the night. He will also know down deep that he is no longer wanted at all , as will his father feel this too. You cant have this in any camp ect. Tell me how is it fair to anyone including the one you call Hemroid, the one you want kept out of camp. Think about it , this is a no brainner ! You say bad apple, soooo ?

Crazy Wolf.

#18 ·
It's my party in the 1st place and you are a guest?
If you don't answer my calls and or return a phone call then your sitting home brother! :nod:

#19 ·
Maybe I missed it but I don't recall seeing a description of the details to be a 'member' of camp. Is there a fee or anything? Or is just a bunch of buddies that get together for free each year on the wealthiest and most generous guys property?????

#20 ·
Some women marry a man thinking they can change him once they get them wrapped up. Doesn't work for them and about the same can be said for hunting (associates). Oh, lots of people do change........in 40 years or so. I don't think I have that long myself.

#21 ·
If you think he is screening his calls and listening to his messages I would do this. I would call and leave a message that the hunt has been cancelled. Something happened and you will not be able to go this year. He will probably call to see what happened and maybe ask if you would mind if he went with his dad or something along those lines. Then you have him on the phone. You can just say "Oh yea, nevermind about that I got things taken care of. But as long as I have you on the phone....."

Or, he will just assume the hunt is off and he won't show up. If he finds out later on down the road you tell him that is why he should practice communicating with his hunting partners, lesson learned. And you should be able to get him to call you back in the future.

#23 ·
Ahh,.... My brother got booted from a camp,..The deal was you spend x # of days building the cabin, financed by one fellow and each year x number of days a year maintaining the cabin.
The cabin got built every one had a great time for years, but then Jr got married and so did my brother,..their wives didnt like each other since highschool,.. and my brother was still a working class guy while the other became politians or management,.. and blue collar wasnt good enough

It didnt matter much to him by then because so much of the group were too good even to hunt with a lowley worker ( hmm,... whos skills buildt the place anyway)
The point is things change,.. Its your place,..
Hey Fred,( or mike or Jim)This is my place! We have had a lot of good memories. Its just for the 8 of us,.. during the season.
no explination,.. I f dad wants to hunt,.. they stay and hunt somewhere else.

As far as driving your buddy to his stand,.. thats an easy one,.. Hell no,.. I own a boat ( or ATV) so I dont have to walk,.. and Im not getting up early to drive any one to a stand

I ocaasionally hunt with a couple guys that are way beyound my social class ( I mean come-on these guys wanted to pay mne to hunt with them,,.. yeah thats wierd,..If he wants to fish Chistmas Island tomarrow or shoot doves in Argintina , he charters a flight) I hunt with them because they are fun,.. they hunt with me because Im a normal guy,.. We hunt together because we enjoy each others company,... hunting that sit and its more than good enough for each of us.

Nobody else in camp, if thats been the unspoken rule and maybe the nonresponse is he could be upset,.. , get some balls,.. call the guy and talk

#24 ·
i dont seee what it would hurt for this guy to let his father tag along one season hell he pays his dues right? maybe he cant afford an atv or a big 4x4 truck so what times are tough right now im sure if you sit down and talk to him and told him he needed his own way to get around to his stands he would try and come up with somthing...sounds to me like you just think your way to good for him and want him out....

#27 ·
I dont' charge, (like I said in an earlier post) and he drives a BMW car to camp and then mooches rides, stands, boots, cots, coolers everything, like I said his bow and guitar are what he brings. Plus it's illegal for someone to tag along without a licence and since we are provide the transportation we could be nabbed as well.

We/I are to blame because we have allowed this to escilate. I will call him and leave a voice mail on Tuesday and re-email.

#26 ·
well heres what I'd do.

Tell him that the law wont allow his Dad to hunt there so he wont be allowed to return. Also his guitar gives you an upset stomach so kindly leave it at home as well. Also each member is responsible for providing their way to and from stands so unless he wants to walk, he needs to bring his 4 wheeler, truck, whatever.

as long as he agrees to the above then he can return to hunt. if he doesnt, find another member. also if you do get another member, make sure he understands the above rules before you let him in. jmo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.