PDA

View Full Version : what do you think happened to this buck?

The Mathews Kid
September 7th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Interesting looking wound for sure.

rackwacker
September 7th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Looks like a bulls eye to me... If i were you i would put an arrow right there and check it out!

The Mathews Kid
September 7th, 2009, 04:36 PM
pict 2

joffutt1
September 7th, 2009, 04:37 PM
interesting. I could turn this into a bash thread in 2 seconds but AT is full of those.

Hard to say. He appears healthy. Not a fight scar, to early. Hard to tell. Maybe broadhead that didnt penetrate? The wound looks really fresh.

backstrap steve
September 7th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Well its hard to say but it kinda gives you a target on his body when his big azz walks out 20 yards from you!

Buckblood
September 7th, 2009, 04:38 PM
A insert name of hated broadhead hit there and didn't work.

AR_Headhunter
September 7th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Not bashing but after saving it & blowing it up it looks like a hit from a Rage that didn't penetrate. It's not the classic Y wound from another 3 blade head & the size of the wound fits a Rage head. Well after I posted I seen the other pic of the exit wound but it does still look like a Rage hit.

joffutt1
September 7th, 2009, 04:44 PM
if it was a rage it was by a youth bow or a very low KE bow to not get into atleast one lung.

backstrap steve
September 7th, 2009, 04:45 PM
:darkbeer:oh hell yeah. Here we go!

Butternut
September 7th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Classic Rage wound.....or at least it looks like it :embara:

Nova88
September 7th, 2009, 04:51 PM
i would say it was a weak or distant shot. but i agree it does make for a nice target now

RMac
September 7th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Looks like it was hit with an ax.:chortle:

The Mathews Kid
September 7th, 2009, 04:54 PM
there is actually two spots..the big one and a smaller one seperated by skin right below it...so a rage shot I believe is out of the question...but bash away I guess..ha ha

The Mathews Kid
September 7th, 2009, 04:59 PM
#3 blown up a bit

Bayou Bowhunter
September 7th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Saying it is a rage is kind of ridiculus, no offense. There are a lot of two blade expandables out there. :confused:

AR_Headhunter
September 7th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I was not bashing & apparently I was not the only 1 who thought it looked like a Rage hit. :confused:

joffutt1
September 7th, 2009, 05:20 PM
#3 blown up a bit

yeah i think that rules out a rage hit. I dont think its a broad head at all now. Weird.

Bowdon
September 7th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Not bashing but after saving it & blowing it up it looks like a hit from a Rage that didn't penetrate. It's not the classic Y wound from another 3 blade head & the size of the wound fits a Rage head. Well after I posted I seen the other pic of the exit wound but it does still look like a Rage hit.

I was going to say that :mad:

Mike21
September 7th, 2009, 05:25 PM
He's a tough customer. Amazing to see what they can put up with and still carry on with their normal lives.

Hopefully he lives to be healthy.

PETE74
September 7th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Look's like a rage to me. had the same thing happen 2 year's ago got picure's of the buck 2 month's later look's just like that in the same spot.and before you strart on bow poundage it was a 30yd.shot bow was 70pd. pull:wink:

bsites9
September 7th, 2009, 05:46 PM
thats not a broadhead wound, ANY TYPE OF BROADHEAD!! it coulda been in the shape of elvis and somebody woulda said "yep, classic Rage wound, i've seen it a million times over the last 30 years" i think thats just somet type of injury that deer get sometimes from living in the wild. maybe tried to jump a fence with metal posts...came down on the top of it or something...but for that to have been a broadhead, it would have basically just had to bounce off the deer. that didn't happen.

Shinsou
September 7th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Rocky Mountain Snyper wound.

:izza:

AR_Headhunter
September 7th, 2009, 05:48 PM

Could have been that too.

The Mathews Kid
September 7th, 2009, 05:49 PM
fence post is the only other thing I could think of too

WEEGEE
September 7th, 2009, 05:52 PM
did it ever occure to some of you that this wound might have nothing to do with a hunter ?????? and then you can say what did it ,then name a broadhead!
you are better than i thought or d.a.h.
i'll say a crome strip from a '72 buick.....green one ....with black vinyl top..
and it had goodyear tires on it.:confused:

Shinsou
September 7th, 2009, 05:54 PM
No, no. Someone actually threw an axe at the deer to see if it produced a Rage wound channel. :set1_rolf2:

Could have been that too.

AR_Headhunter
did it ever occure to some of you that this wound might have nothing to do with a hunter ?????? and then you can say what did it ,then name a broadhead!
i'll say a crome strip from a '72 buick.....green one ....with black vinyl top..

If that was the case then it was a complete pass through. :ROFLMAO:

EnglishKev
How about a shot almost vertical if he walked under a tree stand?
Arrow just going down through the hide?

Kev

LiteSpeed1
September 7th, 2009, 05:56 PM

Yep...he could have mis-judged and landed on a steel post.

WEEGEE
September 7th, 2009, 05:56 PM
If that was the case then it was a complete pass through. :ROFLMAO:

yep thats it !

DougKMN
September 7th, 2009, 06:04 PM
You guys have it all wrong. There is no way that was made by a broadhead. Its clear that that deer is into S&M and is into suspension.....what the pics don't show is the matching wound on the other side. Probably found a nice barbed wire fence to satiate his sick sick pleasure.

:P

(If you couldn't tell the above was an attempt at humor.....go have a few beers and read it again)

http://www.mnwhitetails.com/quote/img.png

Boudreaux
September 7th, 2009, 06:11 PM

Im with ya man, Looks like ole chuck over estimated the pentration abilty of his axe. Guess he thought with that big 2 inch head he could take that 60 yard throw.
Boswell

letemgrow
September 7th, 2009, 06:14 PM
we can only "assume" what happened. It could be a broadhead hit, but maybe, just maybe it is something else?? Barb wire fence possibly?? There are lots of possibilities.

outdooraholic
September 7th, 2009, 06:16 PM
puttin my money on a rhino charge LOL. :tongue:

BOHO
September 7th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I do agree that it looks like it was shot with a broadhead that opened in flight and was either a very poorly tuned bow and the arrow was porposing badly or the bow was like 40#. The hide appears to have been penetrated but thats it. It's a miracle he didnt get an infection or gangrene or something.

rugrem#1
September 7th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Check out the used bows in the area he came from probably find a cheap bow for sale and a mad hunter, even though I would say it wasnt the bows fault.

martinmania
September 7th, 2009, 06:30 PM
once gutted an elk with an arrow in the lungs perfectly centered so it could of just been a lucky tough deer

Bayou Bowhunter
September 7th, 2009, 08:17 PM

Or any other expandable produced like a vortex, but no it has to be a rage. Funny people.

Wackem
September 7th, 2009, 08:47 PM
This is clearly bob wire fence wound. I have seen this exact wound on horses plenty of times.

sbunnylove
September 7th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Saying it is a rage is kind of ridiculus, no offense. There are a lot of two blade expandables out there. :confused:

but rage is the only one that does not work

crockett
September 7th, 2009, 09:10 PM
This is clearly bob wire fence wound. I have seen this exact wound on horses plenty of times.

what he said!

RecordKeeper
September 7th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Barb wire fence gash.:wink:

Canuck Archer
September 7th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I would say this was a wound from one of Hunlee's throwing stars.:ninja:
This is the first time in modern history any creature has escaped death from this type of weapon!
Oh Hunlee,the shame!:embarres:
L.O.L.

TeamMathews1030
September 7th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Yea, it just has to a Rage right? Why do you people hate that head so bad? Good Lord, let it go. Just because you don't like the advertising for them doesn't make it a bad head. I don't understand peopple with this issue. I bet if you got them for free you would use them.

TeamMathews1030
September 7th, 2009, 09:25 PM
:eek:if it were a Rage wound, his lungs would be hanging out the other side.........

Classic Rage wound.....or at least it looks like it :embara:

OneScrewLoose
September 7th, 2009, 09:33 PM

I'd think about something like that or barrbed wire, doesn't look like another animal got ahold of him.

foxj66
September 7th, 2009, 09:43 PM

probably white wall good years lol,

i would agree it could be from a car or truck hitting him fairly slow, or even a fence he didnt quite jump

Jared

sbunnylove
September 7th, 2009, 09:45 PM
:eek:if it were a Rage wound, his lungs would be hanging out the other side.........

what are you trying to say? a rage would push them through but would not penetrate??

AR_Headhunter
September 7th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Yea, it just has to a Rage right? Why do you people hate that head so bad? Good Lord, let it go. Just because you don't like the advertising for them doesn't make it a bad head. I don't understand peopple with this issue. I bet if you got them for free you would use them.

Didn't I say "not bashing"??? :confused: Just FYI if you send me a pack I'll throw them in the trash where they belong. Not trying to start a fight but you can believe me when I say I WOULD NOT USE THEM!

UCNYbowhunter
September 7th, 2009, 10:06 PM

+1 tore himself on some wire

LBmaN
September 7th, 2009, 10:15 PM
How about a shot almost vertical if he walked under a tree stand?
Arrow just going down through the hide?

Kev

thats what i was thinking

why3zx
September 7th, 2009, 10:22 PM
too bad we dont have a pic of the other side of him, my guess is that if that was a hit from any kind of broadhead he would be in the freezer and not on the hoof, unless indeed it was a directly vertical shot, just use it as a target, and let us know what it really was :darkbeer:

podonker29
September 7th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Maybe he was "MESSIN WITH SASQUATCH"

Whaack
September 7th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Those of you saying it is a Rage would are just hilarious. Some of you make me laugh harder than Comedy Central!

CraigW
September 7th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Your lucky to have such a nice deer with such a perfect aiming point. Don't question it, just take advantage of it:darkbeer:

Ohio_archer
September 7th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I'd say it was from one helluva horse fly and got infected.

GoldtipXT
September 7th, 2009, 11:03 PM
thats a wound of some hunter who took a shot at him directly below his stand and missed the mark to the left or right(depending if he was coming in or going away). Seen it before. My friend killed a buck last year with a similar wound that another of our friend made when he to the shot at the deer below him. The buck was shot 3weeks later. As for broadhead, could have been any.

sbunnylove
September 7th, 2009, 11:12 PM
no, no no people lets not look to far into this, we already know that it's a well placed "rage" shot which did what they all do "nothing". but what we need to figure out here was it a 2 or 3 blade:wink:

alwayslookin
September 7th, 2009, 11:24 PM
He's a tough customer. Amazing to see what they can put up with and still carry on with their normal lives.

Hopefully he lives to be healthy.

He DIES at Matkids hands!!!!!!!!!
Rage wound.....gotta love it....a field point would have killed that deer.
Good luck tippin him over.

Beazer
September 7th, 2009, 11:32 PM

The factory Good Year Polyglas tires really weren't that good for handling. Going with your thoery, the driver would have weaved just slightly so as not to lose control, thus hitting the deer as it was quartering toward the vehicle. This angle must of caused the chrome strip to pull away from the body of the vehicle and a corner cut into the deer, causing the injury. But, due the extreme angle and bumper trajectory the chrome strip deflected off a rib meaning that it didn't get a full pass through, just a hide wound because both corners of the chrome strip didn't fully bend open...and the very end is dull.

Conclusion? If the driver had been riding on a newer tire instead of the factory Polyglas that everyone thinks is so great, the chrome piece would have fully penetrated the ribcage and possibly have gotten a double-lung pass through.

I'm still going to try out the Rage heads and see what they do for me. But, you've convinced me that hitting a deer with a Buick isn't anything like throwing an axe at one. So, I'm going to go with a Dodge or other Mopar for all of my deer hitting needs from now on.

muzzyguy16
September 7th, 2009, 11:42 PM

what about a shwacker (spelling?)

bbaker-25
September 7th, 2009, 11:45 PM
that is a relatively fresh wound, when does archery season start in ok. oct1??? if so it would have to be a wound from last year and it would be completly healed over by now:confused:

sbunnylove
September 7th, 2009, 11:48 PM
that is a relatively fresh wound, when does archery season start in ok. oct1??? if so it would have to be a wound from last year and it would be completly healed over by now:confused:

not with a rage, it cuts the first layer of flesh "DEEP" then bounces off, or just gets stuck under the fur trying to open:)

MoNofletch
September 7th, 2009, 11:56 PM
I rule out the fence theory....I have taken 2 deer off iron fences and it isn't pretty.

I say it was the magic nose goblins. :wink:

sbunnylove
September 8th, 2009, 12:05 AM
when chuck norris hunts he doesnt shoot the deer, he makes the deer shoot itself.

but anyways it "is" a rage wound. looks like a 2 blade prob 100gr---but on the plus side they make good paper weights

Meister
September 8th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Haha.. Some people are rediculous.. It does look like a rage wound, but the only problem is, if a RAGE caused a wound like that, that deer would be on somebodys wall..

Barbed wire sounded alot more on track that anything else..

All the deer ive killed hate my "paper weights", let me tell ya.. They must have just been so scared because they look knarly, that they just fell over dead, cuz surely no Rage head could kill a deer..

bowtechtomkat
September 8th, 2009, 12:15 AM
i didint take the time to read all the posts but wat if it was a extremem angle shot like right below the hunter i am not sure wat broadhead it would have been we may never now but to me it looks like a straight up and down shot to mee

sbunnylove
September 8th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Haha.. Some people are rediculous.. It does look like a rage wound, but the only problem is, if a RAGE caused a wound like that, that deer would be on somebodys wall..

Barbed wire sounded alot more on track that anything else..

All the deer ive killed hate my "paper weights", let me tell ya.. They must have just been so scared because they look knarly, that they just fell over dead, cuz surely no Rage head could kill a deer..

that has to be what happend:tongue: I have never actualy shot rage befor I just wanted to get in on the bashing:wink:

joffutt1
September 8th, 2009, 12:18 AM
when chuck norris hunts he doesnt shoot the deer, he makes the deer shoot itself.

but anyways it "is" a rage wound. looks like a 2 blade prob 100gr---but on the plus side they make good paper weights

uh what other weight would it be? Rage only makes 100gr broadhead.

RAZOR62
September 8th, 2009, 12:20 AM
It is quite coincidental if this was not inflicted by a hunter (or pre-season poacher). When one considers it's location.
I won't venture a guess as to what or who could have caused a wound like this but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it was a poor hit from a low powered bow or failed expandable broadhead.

sbunnylove
September 8th, 2009, 12:25 AM
uh what other weight would it be? Rage only makes 100gr broadhead.
yes however when you get all the dirt stuck in them when you miss with them they get a little heavyer

PArackahollic
September 8th, 2009, 12:26 AM
If any of you rage haters have any extra laying around sendem my way I'll gladly take that junk off your hands.:wink:

Firearrow
September 8th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I am going with something poked him, and it festered up into a great spot to aim at.

sbunnylove
September 8th, 2009, 12:29 AM
:laugh:
If any of you rage haters have any extra laying around sendem my way I'll gladly take that junk off your hands.:wink:

I sent mine back to wal-mart, back in the bargen bin they go

joehunter8301
September 8th, 2009, 12:19 PM
musta been a poacher cuz i would have figured deer season hasnt started yet. doubt its an arrow. my deer jump fences and their legs are all cut up when we shoot them. prob somethin in this nature. i sure do love the jokes tho ha ha keep em goin:clap:

Dredly
September 8th, 2009, 12:22 PM
That isn't a broadhead wound. I would guess he ran into a branch or tree that didn't want to move or he got into a fight with something that didn't like him very much.

daweasel
September 8th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I would say some type of post or object from the bottom if you look at the way the wound is small hole on bottom and large tear at top. I fit where a hunter he would have to have been under the deer. Just my 2 cents:embara:

Ib4Hoyt
September 8th, 2009, 12:35 PM

lmao
:ROFLMAO:

Dean Bower
September 8th, 2009, 12:43 PM
That's a fresh wound that looks relatively sterile to me. My guess it a bot fly or two. It is healing nice and it appears nothing entered the chest cavity but don't let my thought interfere with your fun.....:)

TailChaser
September 8th, 2009, 12:51 PM
It's obvious that deer got in a fight with a hog, which had a rage broadhead sticking out of it's side.

pjwatson05
September 8th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I was not bashing & apparently I was not the only 1 who thought it looked like a Rage hit. :confused:

That was my thoughts also, my bother in-law & his father both shot deer with rage 2 blade that didn't penetrate, with 50lb bows, and both bucks survived and their scars look similar.
No matter just an aiming point for a fixed blade guy :wink:

Jason Balazs
September 8th, 2009, 01:29 PM
He got in a fight with his old lady and she pulled out her blade!:tongue:

tomk09
September 8th, 2009, 02:00 PM
i would say it was a fence or a shot straight down from a stand

subchief
September 8th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Somebody shot that deer twice with a Rage 2-blade. The first shot the blades failed to open. Fortunate for the schmuck, the deer thought it was a fly that bit him and did not go far, allowing a second shot in which the Rage 2-blade failed open and the deer decided to get out of Dodge.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it...

Or maybe is was a magic arrow aka JFK's magic bullet????