PDA

View Full Version : Whats your opinion on the use of "bait" for bears?

broadfieldpoint
September 16th, 2009, 09:44 AM
The use of bait to attract bears is absolutely ethical and only those who have lost their "common sense" would oppose it.

Interestingly....morality and common sense run parallel. This is why states like Oregon and Washington had the most liberal elements influence the masses to outlaw this. Go figure.

If you are against baiting bears.....try fishing without lures, power bait, flies, worms, etc.

Gary in Ohio
September 16th, 2009, 10:03 AM
For what I've read there are only three ways to hunt bear.

Use bait
Use dogs
Get lucky

jca
September 16th, 2009, 10:10 AM
It would be nearly impossible to hunt them in most states if you didn't bait them! The landscape, the stealth and nocturnal behavior of them, would make it impossible! Therefore the population would soar in certain areas, especially urban zones. Look at New Jersey for instance. A SERIOUS bear problem in that state!
By the way, i'm going on a fall bear hunt over bait in 2010. I'll report back on how unethical it is..:wink:

guidehunter28
September 16th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I have learned by experiance that the word bait in this fourm can be a very dirty word, so I :zip:

horseman308
September 16th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Not being a bear hunter, I really had issues with using what I would call "extra" bait - that is, stuff like grease, meat scraps, and that sort of stuff that you take out to a barrel in the woods (as opposed to the food sources that bears naturally find). I figured it would be more "sporting" (I hate that term, but don't know what else to call it) to pattern them like you do deer and hunt their food, bedding, and travel routes.

But after asking around, I understand that the bear's range is so huge, and the list of what it will eat is so huge, that you simply can't pattern and hunt them like you would deer. Too many extra variables. So dogs or baiting seem to be the only effective ways when hunting bears in thick cover. I guess you can glass, spot, and stalk bears in open country. Anyway, point being that they're just very different from deer.

"Interestingly....morality and common sense run parallel. This is why states like Oregon and Washington had the most liberal elements influence the masses to outlaw this. Go figure."

I'm not sure what you mean by morality and common sense run parallel. Stuff that runs "parallel" are supposed to go hand-in-hand, work together, etc. Perhaps morality and common sense do run together (though it depends on whose common sense we're using). But I don't quite understand how this relates to outlawed bear baiting. For instance, it was "common sense" to me, based on my deer hunting experience, that you should be able to hunt bears without that extra bait. However, this was erroneous "common sense" because the two animals are very different and I wasn't fully aware. After learning more about bears, it's now my "common sense" that you can't hunt them the same. What we call "common sense" is really nothing more than the combination of peoples' opinions and experience - some of it is useful and some is not.

So, what does common sense have to do with morality and bear hunting? Could you clarify?

Rupypug
September 16th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I don't like hunting anything with bait but I don't hate on someone that does.:)

Ib4Hoyt
September 16th, 2009, 10:50 AM
i don't care if you smoke um out with tear gas to kill them,,,,,but you guys have noidea what you are talking about,,i've had them patterned for 15 years now,,,there like anything else,,they have there favorite places to travel and hang out.

JG358
September 16th, 2009, 11:22 AM

Use bait
Use dogs
Get lucky

:rolleyes:Must be some really lucky folks in CO......no baiting allowed and people still manage to kill bears every year:)

godex003
September 16th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Though my experience on the matter is very limited, what I have noticed is that different areas will only give a person certain opportunities.

Here in the northwoods of Minnesota, It would be extremely difficult to hunt bears without bait. Even with bait, it's not an easy task.

Also, baiting to me is part of the fun of the hunt. It makes the whole hunt an adventure/process, instead of just putting up stands and sitting. It's the whole deer-camp mentality except on the weeks before you actually get to hunt... you can actually party a little bit because you don't actually have to wake up early and hunt. That way, when it's actually time to hunt, hunting is the only thing you're doing.

I myself had thought the same thing about baiting deer and bears, or using dogs for mountain lions vs bears. What I've concluded is that until you've done something, it's really hard for you to truly understand the justification of such acts. If it's not in your taste, that's fine, but don't judge others until you've tried it.

Ib4 hoyt, props to you, I don't know how you've patterned them but however you did it, that's kindof impressive. At least from what I've been able to tell with them up here.

godex003
September 16th, 2009, 11:32 AM
:rolleyes:Must be some really lucky folks in CO......no baiting allowed and people still manage to kill bears every year:)

Colorado has a lot of open land that allows people to glass a lot of countryside. Here in the northland that is absolutely impossible. The bear we got this year was withing 30 yards of us for 2 hours, but we couldn't see him until he was fifteen yards, simply because the pines and underbrush are so thick and there is very little open land.

WNYBuckHunter
September 16th, 2009, 11:33 AM
If its legal and you want to use it, more power to you.

Chiquita_hunt3r
September 16th, 2009, 11:51 AM

And also look how many bears have been put down this year. There have been in the last three weeks in Aspen alone.

JWaltrip
September 16th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Who cares what my or others opinion is. What is yours?

JG358
September 16th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Colorado has a lot of open land that allows people to glass a lot of countryside. Here in the northland that is absolutely impossible. The bear we got this year was withing 30 yards of us for 2 hours, but we couldn't see him until he was fifteen yards, simply because the pines and underbrush are so thick and there is very little open land.

Yup, no pines with underbrush around here:wink:

Bobmuley
September 16th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Amendment 10 in Colorado (amendment to ban the spring bear season, bait, and hounds) was pushed through in part because some anti's proposed that too many sows with cubs were being killed. What better way to analyze a situation than to either tree a bear and watch it or sit and watch it for 10 minutes over bait. Pretty simple to tell if they're nursing or have cubs that way, but once again logic and common sense went by the wayside.

Two other large contributing factors were involved; one being the lack of data provided by the DOW regarding bear population and distribution and the other was the support of elitist sportsmen and sportsmens' groups.

dillershortbow
September 16th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Here in BC we can`t bait bears and we must be lucky cause we still are able to kill them. I would have to agree with no baiting in populated area`s like washington and oregon . Baiting is just teaching bears that humans give out free handouts .

Oregonbowguy
September 16th, 2009, 11:59 AM
I am not a bear hunter. Just have never gotten into it. But i know plenty of guys here in oregon who are. There were very against the no baiting law when it went into effect. However, they now have learned to hunt bears differently and use the bears natural feed and seem to enjoy themselves more now then before. There success rate also seems to be better now then before.

gbear
September 16th, 2009, 12:07 PM
No problem here with using bait for anything. It's illegal in NM. But i'd choose not to anyway, it just adds a different element to the equation when you track, spot and stalk a bear. Besides that, having spent 13 years with a disability and hunting from stands, i can't just sit and wait anyway, i have to be moving around.

orduckhunter
September 16th, 2009, 12:12 PM

Use bait
Use dogs
Get lucky

that's simply not true

here in Oregon, where we haven't been able to bait or use dogs for bear since the early 90's, we take many bears by knowing where they feed or calling them in - no more "luck" than is involved in most any other type of hunting

and, some of our bear country is the thickest tangles you'll ever find

horseman308
September 16th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Sounds like one of the biggest variables is the type of terrain you're hunting in and what the options for food the bears have.

Stanley
September 16th, 2009, 01:03 PM
:thumbs_up

broadfieldpoint
September 16th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Here in BC we can`t bait bears and we must be lucky cause we still are able to kill them. I would have to agree with no baiting in populated area`s like washington and oregon . Baiting is just teaching bears that humans give out free handouts .

Populated areas like Oregon and Washington? Who are you listening to? You are grossly mis-informed....VAST areas in both states with wide open spaces. You must have us confused with California.

Baiting is NOT teaching bears that humans give handouts....respectfully, that is a very innaccurate statement. Most of the provinces in upper Canada, the bears NEVER even see humans.Throw that theory out the window.

This is the kind of reasoning that is used to "ban" this practice. In reality, it is "leftist" mentality that has affected our rights and sport.

popestev
September 16th, 2009, 01:21 PM

Use bait
Use dogs
Get lucky

It would be nearly impossible to hunt them in most states if you didn't bait them! The landscape, the stealth and nocturnal behavior of them, would make it impossible! Therefore the population would soar in certain areas, especially urban zones. Look at New Jersey for instance. A SERIOUS bear problem in that state!
By the way, i'm going on a fall bear hunt over bait in 2010. I'll report back on how unethical it is..:wink:

Ya what they said.

OpenSeason1
September 16th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Here's what we use in Arkansas, and our baits (3) are getting pounded by 10+ bears each(all baits are several miles apart so we are definitely getting different bears)

we start by putting out a bunch of old fryer grease, then we have 25 gal barrels with holes drilled in them, that we fill with whole corn and molasses. Then we also have 55gal barrels that we will put old bread, homemade kettle corn, and dog food in.

Has worked great for us.

I am not sure why you felt like you had to justify your hunting method. I am not ashamed of it, it is legal so we do it.

Don't feel the need to justify my hunting at all. I really could care less what some "haters" might think. They can blow up threads all they want, won't change me being a law abiding hunter.

IChim2
September 16th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Didn't read any of the posts because it would have detoured me from my opinion....so.....i think that it's nessasary in order for most to kill a bear.Would i get the same enjoyment pot shooting one over bait as i would hunting one......one on one....no.Hunting over bait allows the hunter to choose more easy as to the size of bear he wants to shoot.As long as it's legal.......it's up to the one who bought the tag.

broadfieldpoint
September 16th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Didn't read any of the posts because it would have detoured me from my opinion....so.....i think that it's nessasary in order for most to kill a bear.Would i get the same enjoyment pot shooting one over bait as i would hunting one......one on one....no.Hunting over bait allows the hunter to choose more easy as to the size of bear he wants to shoot.As long as it's legal.......it's up to the one who bought the tag.

This works for me. Problem is, some people want to force their ideology of what is right and wrong on the entire hunting constituency. It ain't right.....

broadfieldpoint
September 17th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Ok?

ARCHERYSNOB
September 17th, 2009, 01:53 PM
It is illegal to bait bears in NY, and myself and my circle of hunters have never gotten one. Baiting would surely change that.

willphish4food
September 17th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Putting meat in the freezer as the law allows is not unethical. I use bait for spring bears because thats the most efficient way for me to put one into my freezer.

broadfieldpoint
September 19th, 2009, 12:58 AM
It is illegal to bait bears in NY, and myself and my circle of hunters have never gotten one. Baiting would surely change that.

The Anti hunter groups who got this outlawed are NOT interested in us maintaining "fair chase"...at the core of this is radical environmentalism...they love these animals more than they love people.

JAMBF750
September 19th, 2009, 12:59 AM
good by me....

Hawgfan
September 19th, 2009, 01:09 AM
How else you gonna get pics like this? Obviously I'm all for it...:wink:

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae144/hawgfan/DSC_0237.jpg

wicked1Joe
September 19th, 2009, 01:14 AM

I am not against baiting bears...here in California we can't....and we take one almost every year though!
we can still use dogs here, but I haven't since 2002.

I wish we could...it would make a REAL tough hunt....just a hunt. :)

junglerooster1
September 19th, 2009, 07:12 AM
let me say 1st that in the thick woods it is the only way other than hounds to effectivly control population(we dont want to end up like jersey). what some people dont understand is by baiting a bear you are not obligated to shoot the first one that comes in but you can choose not to shoot a sow w cubs or a smaller less desireable bear. and sitting and waiting in the mosquito infested woods perfectly still waiting for something that may or may not come to bait before dark isnt as easy as you think. so if you are against it come to maine and i will put you on a bait you dont have to shoot if you dont want to but it may change the way you look at this method of hunting.

sits in trees
September 19th, 2009, 07:46 AM
well here in NY there is NO baiting for bear:sad: so here in NY nobody goes bear hunting:sad: what does that tell you...

yes several hundred bear a year are shot in NY but they are shot by deer hunters who just so happen to see a bear whilst deer hunting.

without being allowed to use bait for bear you can't really have a bear season...

5MilesBack
September 19th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Whats your opinion on the use of "bait" for bears?

Use the stinkiest stuff you can find.......that's my opinion.

HCH
September 19th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I have been on many black bear hunts in MN and Canada. Bait is the ONLY way you will see a bear in these areas. Spot and stalk is not an option as the forests are too dense to see any thing.

ohiohikerguy
September 19th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by broadfieldpoint
Whats your opinion on the use of "bait" for bears?

As long as it's legal, and not me being the bait... :eek:

natural born k
September 19th, 2009, 01:53 PM
twix candy bars in a orange fruit bag. they rip the bag and the candy falls to the ground. they have to stay and eat it. worked for me in maine.

hardball15
September 19th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Not to switch topic, but If I have buck jam out and I am hunting deer and a bear walks along and I shoot it, ( baiting illegal here in Oregon) am I doing something illegal? This situation COULD have happened to me as bear were coming in on my trail cam to the salt lick that I put out........

boarman1
September 19th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Ill support baiting. I have no problem with it. Its not hurting anything. I hunted bears in canada and its not a gurantee but it does help some. BUt a Bear only gets bait a few weeks out of the year and its just a plus for them. Its not like they want learn how to eat by there self. Just because you just dont feel its okay dont mean you try to bash or stop it completly. Because as long as the Anti's can take somehting from all of us hunters its a plus for them. So stop the fighting and learn how to protect our sport instead of just say we can kill them fine with out bait .Its part of hunting.

hardball15
September 19th, 2009, 05:20 PM
no opinions on that huh?

troutbum76
September 19th, 2009, 05:36 PM
its legal and i love it!
http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss159/troutbum76photo/Picture002.jpg

SBXT
September 19th, 2009, 07:37 PM
if you think bear hunting is easy NOT using bait then i welcome you to come here and try it. The area here is thick, dark and very vast. Bears have tons of different things they eat so trying to pinpoint a food source is extremely unlikely. I have baited for 7 seasons now and have gotten 1000s of pics of bears at my bait sight, the only bear hanging in my house is the one my wife shot 2 years ago. Granted i have passed on small bears that i had the option to shoot and didn't cause i was waiting for something bigger.
But for someone to think that its a slamdunk to hunt over bait, you really have no idea what your talking about.

hardball15
September 19th, 2009, 07:39 PM
if you think bear hunting is easy NOT using bait then i welcome you to come here and try it. The area here is thick, dark and very vast. Bears have tons of different things they eat so trying to pinpoint a food source is extremely unlikely. I have baited for 7 seasons now and have gotten 1000s of pics of bears at my bait sight, the only bear hanging in my house is the one my wife shot 2 years ago. Granted i have passed on small bears that i had the option to shoot and didn't cause i was waiting for something bigger.
But for someone to think that its a slamdunk to hunt over bait, you really have no idea what your talking about.

Exactly.:)

broadfieldpoint
September 20th, 2009, 11:55 AM

Mega dittos SBXT

broadfieldpoint
September 20th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I submit to you that in reality this has nothing to do about the baiting of bears....its all about radical environmentalism's attempt to ultimately control the outdoors.

N7709K
September 20th, 2009, 12:04 PM
I personally don't care for baiting. I kinda think of it as shooting a very large dog. You have fed it for weeks and it has become used to getting fed from a food source. I can see why some people say that you have to have bait or dogs to hunt bears, that may be true where you live, but in reality you don't. Native americains hunted bears without bait.

Where I really think that there shouldn't be baiting for bears in in AK. There are a large number of bears that run through peoples yards, so the last thing you want is them getting used to barrels or other things used as a food source. Here in a year or two I hope to go on a spot and stalk bear hunt in AK for black bear. It will be a hard hunt, but it will be very worth it.

swanee
September 20th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I've never seen a bear while deer hunting from a stand, etc. Thats 25 years of hunting for me. I know people who have hunted a lot longer and have never seen a bear while deer hunting. So, it is logical that that only way to see one is to bring it to you with bait, or you go to it with dogs. Success rate will be almost zero otherwise. This isn't like Vancuver (SP) Island where Jim Shocky walks along the clear cuts and there are bears everywhere. It's a necessity to have a successful bear season.

Skeeter 58
September 20th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I have baited bears alot when I lived out west. I have no problem what so ever doing so. Soon all the states that out law baiting, more than likely, will
have bear problems. The fish and game actually trapped some on my property one year because there was little for them to eat and they were coming down into town and causing all kinds of problems. And yes I got my bear that year.

broadfieldpoint
September 21st, 2009, 10:54 PM
Yep!

speedgoat
September 21st, 2009, 10:56 PM
it is a great way to get an close range, ethical shot on a bear.

tackscall
September 21st, 2009, 10:59 PM

My group has never SEEN one, in thousands and thousands of stand hours, and there are plenty in WNY

posco
September 21st, 2009, 11:09 PM
Where I really think that there shouldn't be baiting for bears in in AK. There are a large number of bears that run through peoples yards, so the last thing you want is them getting used to barrels or other things used as a food source. Here in a year or two I hope to go on a spot and stalk bear hunt in AK for black bear. It will be a hard hunt, but it will be very worth it.

I was surprised to see how baiting took off up there. I lived there for several years back in the eighties and I never heard of it, spotting and stalking was the game back then.

Climbing a mountain after one can be fruitless more often than not and sitting on a bait can be too.

I have a bait site set out this year. It's all good fun.