PDA

View Full Version : Lets get this going

GobGetrvideo
September 21st, 2009, 03:56 PM
I just read on the "how many of you check this out" thread that some wish there was more activity on the Arkansas page. Heres a good start. Everyone introduce yourself of where your from. What part of the state you hunt and a little about yourself......Ill start.

Im 30. I live in Benton. In Arkansas I hunt our farm in Saline county through the middle of November then hunt the White River Bottoms after that. I do mortgages for a living and have my office in Bryant.

GO HOGS!!!!!!

FroMan
September 21st, 2009, 04:02 PM
I'm 25. My wife and I have been married for over two years and have a son named Jude who is 20 months. He hit the terrible twos a bit early I'm afraid.

I am a minister and just recently (yesterday) resigned a position at a church where I was youth pastoring. My family and I are moving back to Russellville, where I spent all of my childhood and I am going to continue driving into Springfield, Missouri each week to continue my Seminary education. My long term goal is to become an Army Chaplain. It's a long and extensive process, but will be worth it.

Aurea my wife watches Jude and takes care of me each day of the week.

I hunt around Russellville, the land of NOD (north of Dover), Almyra (outside of Stuttgart), and everywhere in between, but mainly the Arkansas River Valley.

I prefer bowhunting deer. However, I'm also a duck hunting and turkey hunting maniac. I'll lazy man fish in hunting offseason (trotlining, yoyos, jigging for crappie).

HuntnHog
September 21st, 2009, 11:40 PM
I'm 38 years old and live in Fort Smith. I make my living as an engineer at one of the local factories. I'm married with a 9 year old daughter and 6 year old son. Hoping to help her get her first deer this year on the youth hunt. As a matter of fact we went to the range this evening and she did pretty good with the 223 I bought for her last year.
Up until last year most of my deer hunting was archery only because I hunted Fort Chaffee every chance I got. Year before last I joined the lease my dad has been in for over 30 years, so now I go down there several times a year to hunt with dad and I've gotten back into hunting with a muzzleloader and rifle.
I turkey hunt in the spring. Used to duck hunt but haven't been the past couple of years. I like to fish, but most of my fishing now is taking the kids to a neighborhood pond.

jdouthit
September 22nd, 2009, 11:06 AM
I'm 27 years old and have been married just over a year. We currently live in White Hall, hopefully Grant County soon. I'm an IT Network Manager for a pharmaceutical company based out of Pine Bluff. I grew up in this area, Watson Chapel/Sulphur Springs to be exact, and my wife is from Mississippi. I've been deer hunting for the last 16-17 years or so, but this will be my first year to bow hunt. October 1st can't get here quick enough. I spend most of my time hunting down in Herbine in the Saline River bottoms and a few days a year hunting on friends' land on the Jefferson/Grant County line. This year I plan to try and start hunting Trusten Holder WMA and the White River Refuge.

ARBowHuntr
September 22nd, 2009, 12:07 PM
I am 23 years old, live in Fayetteville and graduated from the U of A last December. I got engaged 3 months ago and will be getting married in July 2010. I do most of my bowhunting here in Northwest Arkansas where my family owns a couple of farms, or in Southwest Missouri which is where my Fiance is originally from. While bowhunting whitetails is my passion, I look forward every year to picking up the 12 gauge and chasing after ducks all across Arkansas on any public land I can find.

AR_Headhunter
September 22nd, 2009, 12:36 PM
I'm 41 & have been a bowhunter only for almost 20 years. I do ceramic tile for a living. I live in southern Newton county in a small community called Limestone. My daughter is grown so now I am living life for me again. I was a single dad for 13 years & those of you raising kids can imagine what it's like raising a daughter by yourself. Bow hunting is my passion. I had to take a break from it for several years due to work & family but now I am again a full time bow hunter. I have killed 2 deer in the past that qualified for P&Y but in my youth I was never concerned about registering them. I have also killed over 50 hogs in Arkansas, all with archery tackle. My goal is to now kill at least 1 P&Y buck in Arkansas on public land until they plant me. I also enjoy meeting other bowhunters & going to explore & hunt new area's together. BTW I'm Jack, good to meet you guy's & gals.

GobGetrvideo
September 22nd, 2009, 01:37 PM
Jack-

I always have said if you put in the work in the Mountains of Arkansas you can kill a PY every year because those deer can get age on them. I have a buddy from the Danville area that drives up and spends the whole first week on Nov in your world and he has killed some studs including a 155" brute 2 years ago. He packs in for over 2 hour walks one way to hunt a few funnels he has found over the years. Good luck this year!

Millwood Mudd
September 22nd, 2009, 02:20 PM
Dang, I'm 57, turning 58 in Oct. I have been married to a LA. woman for 28 years. I've got 3 boys, all gone doing their own thing. I am a paper maker by trade. I have been making paper for over 31 years. I have been hunting for almost 50 years. My Dad and brother used to keep the woods on fire from Oct on for my first 10 years.....then I found girls.... then after several years I got back into hunting. I still can't get enough of it. I bought 80 acres of land in Little River County, then was lucky enough to lease 90 acres next to it. It is located on the Southern edge of Millwood Lake. It isn't the best hunting in Arkansas, but it's MINE!!! If I'm not there, Pond Creek NWR is a little north and we have a new Palmetto Flats Natural Area WMA just up the road.
I gave my old 30.06 to my youngest son about 5 years ago, and have hunted with bow ever since. It was probably the best thing I ever did!!! I can't get enough if this stuff!! Too bad, I can't do things like I used to do without getting sore!!!!:eek:

knighten
September 22nd, 2009, 05:42 PM
Hello all,my name is Knighten,the k is silent..i am a welder have been for 10 years.i am the big 40.i hunt around norfork lake area and the wma around ne arkansas.i hunt with bow,ml,and gun.but my passion is bowhunting.i have been married 9 years,and live in jonesboro.i also enjoy fishing and turkey hunting.come on oct.1st.

armurphy
September 22nd, 2009, 08:59 PM
Hello all! My name is Murphy. I live in Barling, right next to Fort Chaffee and the Arkansas River which is where I spend most my time. I am 40, coach baseball, work as a printer, married 20 years, 2 boys 18 and 11. My goal this year is to thin Chaffee's hog population by at least half so the turkeys may come back! Good luck to all of ya and have a safe season!

BeauAR
September 22nd, 2009, 09:57 PM
Hi everybody. My name is Beau, I'm 25 and I'm a Farmers Insurance agent in Little Rock. I'm a UofA graduate and I live in Maumelle. I'll be married for 2 years in January. I hunt near Malvern (where I'm originally from) and this year I'm gonna give Camp Robinson WMA in Little Rock a try too. I got into bowhunting 2 years ago but this will be my first season with a compound. I've bagged several with my .30-06 over the last 10 years. I like talking to fellow hunters. Most of my buddies don't hunt so holler at me if you're in LR area or Malvern and we'll go tag a few.

rezeen6.5
September 22nd, 2009, 09:58 PM
hey guys, my name is Mike I live in pocahontas AR. northeast corner I just started hunting deer I mean I've duck hunted up until now my brother got me back in to deer hunting .I'm 34 and its been 22 years sense I've killed a deer I also have three boys that I have introduced to the archery bug.My wife has also been biten with it to. It's great, I just shot my first 3D shoot this last sunday one of the best days I've had in a long time. Other stuff, I am a power lineman for Clay county Elec. co-op. have been for 16 years something I'm proud of . I hope this thead takes off. Does any body know of any 3D or dot shots around AR. later Mike

ISO12ring
September 22nd, 2009, 10:00 PM
Hello. My name is Allen and I have had a bowhunting problem for 22 yrs. (I started when I was 12.) I live in Sheridan (transplant from Fordyce) and have a wonderful wife of 9 yrs and two girls 5, and 7. I work for Verizon wireless as a Data Administrator (SAN). I love duck hunting, bowhunting, and crappie fishing. I am a volunteer firefighter for Calvert Township VFD. I used to travel all over the state shooting 3-D tourneys about 10 yrs ago and I am a life member of the ABA. There is usually a lot more "local" action over at arkansashunting, but I usually check out AT once or twice a day.

goatranch
September 23rd, 2009, 01:31 PM
Hey. My name is Chris. I'm 45. My wife and I live in Berryville. I am a gunsmith and run my own shop. Glad to see other fellow hunter from Arkansas on here.

AR_Headhunter
September 24th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Jack-

I always have said if you put in the work in the Mountains of Arkansas you can kill a PY every year because those deer can get age on them. I have a buddy from the Danville area that drives up and spends the whole first week on Nov in your world and he has killed some studs including a 155" brute 2 years ago. He packs in for over 2 hour walks one way to hunt a few funnels he has found over the years. Good luck this year!

Thanks man! I just moved up here into the mountains last August. Last year was a tough 1 but I primarily just used it for scouting & learning these mountain deers habits. It is a lot different from the big hardwood bottoms I am used to hunting. I used to work for GP in Crossett & lived over in Hamburg until the cutbacks in the lumber industry took my job. Spent most of the season hunting Overflow & Felsenthal NWR & also many of the WMA's in SE Arkansas. I really do miss the hog hunting down there. I could always count on killing at 10 hogs a year down there. These mountain deer are so much different than those flat land deer. Your right about the big bucks up here though. I had the biggest deer of my life within range last year but he just kept brush between me & him. This year though I expect to take him. I found a natural funnel that the bucks always patrol through & there are at least 3 P&Y class deer in that area. Including the 1 I am after which will make B&C easily. I honestly think he might be a new state record as a typical. I am pretty sure he was a 4 1/2 year old last year. What has me concerned is if he grew a bunch of trash this year which would make him nontypical. I do not know yet because I have only been to my stand location once. That was about 6 weeks ago now. I cleared my shooting lanes & took some of the tree tops the ice storm downed & positioned them to also help keep the deer coming through my shooting lanes. Up here we have from Oct 1'st through the beginning of gun season to kill our big deer because once rifle season comes in the big boys go nocturnal. I plan on going down & hunting Overflow NWR in rifle season. I still have a little "honey hole" area in there that very few people know about & it's fantastic hunting.

Well Good luck to all you Arkansas hunters this year. May your arrows fly true, your blood trails be those a blind man could follow, & those deer steaks taste good!

GobGetrvideo
September 24th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks man! I just moved up here into the mountains last August. Last year was a tough 1 but I primarily just used it for scouting & learning these mountain deers habits. It is a lot different from the big hardwood bottoms I am used to hunting. I used to work for GP in Crossett & lived over in Hamburg until the cutbacks in the lumber industry took my job. Spent most of the season hunting Overflow & Felsenthal NWR & also many of the WMA's in SE Arkansas. I really do miss the hog hunting down there. I could always count on killing at 10 hogs a year down there. These mountain deer are so much different than those flat land deer. Your right about the big bucks up here though. I had the biggest deer of my life within range last year but he just kept brush between me & him. This year though I expect to take him. I found a natural funnel that the bucks always patrol through & there are at least 3 P&Y class deer in that area. Including the 1 I am after which will make B&C easily. I honestly think he might be a new state record as a typical. I am pretty sure he was a 4 1/2 year old last year. What has me concerned is if he grew a bunch of trash this year which would make him nontypical. I do not know yet because I have only been to my stand location once. That was about 6 weeks ago now. I cleared my shooting lanes & took some of the tree tops the ice storm downed & positioned them to also help keep the deer coming through my shooting lanes. Up here we have from Oct 1'st through the beginning of gun season to kill our big deer because once rifle season comes in the big boys go nocturnal. I plan on going down & hunting Overflow NWR in rifle season. I still have a little "honey hole" area in there that very few people know about & it's fantastic hunting.

Well Good luck to all you Arkansas hunters this year. May your arrows fly true, your blood trails be those a blind man could follow, & those deer steaks taste good!

Forget about NET score on any deer and the books when it comes to a monster like you are talking about. Keep in mind if he grows it, its his!!!! NETS ARE FOR FISH!!!!!!

STERRNO
September 24th, 2009, 04:36 PM
hey there my name is cris,im39,this will be my 2nd year hunting.im a so. cal. transplant here in arkansas.I killed 1 deer last year with my bow what a great sport.I hope to have a good season and wish good luck to all.

razorbackhunter
September 25th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I'm 32 live in FT Smith, go to school in Ozark. Been with my wife for 14 years love hunting, collecting arrowheads and hunting rattlesnakes. Spend most of my time on chaffee.

jna329
September 27th, 2009, 04:21 PM
reading this post sounds like a bowhunters anonymous meeting or something. glad to see so many share the addiction. hope we can get even more interested in our passion. my name is jeff - been married for 14+ yrs to my wonderful wife. we have 1 daughter. i farm for a living as well as just about anything else I can fit in that will help fund my addiction to archery. I live in nwa and hunt everywhere that I can. I am currently in search of land to lease. I prefer small private land that I can help manage the game and get the best results possible, am not opposed to public land at all. I have been a bowhunting for 21 years. I also enjoy motorcycles. dirt and street. cant hardly wait for the 1st.

sartorious
September 28th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I guess this is as good a time as any to get started here. I'm about to turn 26 and ready to be done with school. I'm currently working on my doctorate of physical therapy at Missouri State in Springfield and will be done in May. It will have been 8 (long) years of college. I'm an '06 UofA grad and spent one year in Ft. Smith taking more classes at UAFS. I've been married for a little more than a year and FroMan and I are now brothers-in-law after being friends since we were 10. This will be my first year bowhunting and I'm pumped. My family has land in SE AR near Stuttgart and my brother and I deer and duck (alot) hunt. And FroMan mooches plenty of hunts.

whitewolf1
September 28th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Guess I'll chime in. I am an advisor and unit manager with John Hancock Financial network in NLR and live in Maumelle. Lucky me the office is 1.5 miles from the house. This will be my 28th season bowhunting the lower white river area. Shoot straight guys.

befus
September 28th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Well hell......................some body has to be the oldest I guess. I am 61 and have been bow hunting for 20 years, with a hiatus in the middle. Really just using a compound bow for about five years. Guess you could say I am a late bloomer. I enjoy bow hunting, but use muzzle loader and modern gun. I hunt some in Madison County and mostly down South in Hempstead County on a friend's place. I am about the only guy in my group who bow hunts much, but this year two others are joining in. I don't have a lot of hope for getting a buck, and have really seen very few deer of any type on any camera or scout this year. Who knows maybe this will be a breakthrough year! I also turkey hunt and wish there were more birds!

My name is Randall and I have coached and taught the last 32 years in Rogers. I have a 17 year old son who is a senior at RHS this year. I love the woods, but have had to tone it down and the age and arthritis have grown. Good hunting to all.

artomcaller
September 30th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I'm 33 and have been married to a lively country girl for ten years. We have three daughters. We live in Bismarck, just south of Hot Springs and Malvern. I have bowhunted on and off for 18 years and just got crazy about it a few years ago. I killed my first two deer with a bow last season.

I am fortunate enough to have a wife that also loves bowhunting. She is kicking my butt when it comes to deer taken with a bow! All three of my daughters like to shoot and hopefully, one day they will accompany us bowhunting. My oldest (10) took her first deer, forkhorn, with a .243 when she was 7 years old. My middle one (9) took her first deer, spike, with a barnett crossbow last year. My youngest is six, so it won't be long.

We hunt my family farm (800 acres) and hunt the Big Timber WMA land outside of Arkadelphia.

browning_gold_12
October 1st, 2009, 12:12 AM
whasup arkies?? Mark, (BG12 to some of ya, but i spelled my username wrong:frusty:) 36, camden AR. Ready to get my kill on!!!!

rimmer79
October 1st, 2009, 11:23 PM
Im Bubba, im 19 and from Glen Rose, Arkansas. I live in Russellville during the week while I go to school at ATU. I hunt around my house in Glen Rose, on my lease in Donaldson, and I plan on giving an attempt at Hollabend this year.

fishmannyj
October 1st, 2009, 11:50 PM
Manuel from Charleston. married 14 years 1 daughter 13. Currently unemployed.Been back bowhunting 2 years after 13 year break.Got my first 2 does last year. Totally hooked on bowhunting,crappie and bass fishing! Regular on here,crappie.com and ARdeerhunting.com. Mainly hunt Chaffee and some in Whiterock near Mulberry. Like to hang out with fellow hunters around the ole campfire and taking my daughter out hunting and fishing!

hunt4meat
October 2nd, 2009, 11:22 AM
I'm Matt from Scott. I am 31 and work in aquaculture. I hunt in the Ozarks near Hardy, and near Damascus, also hunt some on Crowley's Ridge outside Paragould. Just had 1st abby weeks ago, so hunting will be limitied this year.

reezenable
October 5th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Hey, from Hot Springs , I'm lucky enough to hunt on a private farm in Gillett maybe a thousand acres and most of the time only about 4 - 6 people hunt it , border a national park , so the deer population is great, hopefully this year will stick a dandy.

arcountryboy
October 5th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Patrick from England, I hunt the England/Wright area. I Have been here my whole life. been married 4 years and our first baby will be here Oct 15th via c-section, gonna be a boy!

Boudreaux
October 5th, 2009, 11:36 AM
My name is Bobby Boswell, Im 22 im originaly from central missouri moved to russellville where I major in fish and wildlife biology. Worked with the USFS on Mt. Magazine and done some work on Holla Bend, now working at the sporting goods store here in town

readytoshootsum
October 5th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I'm Brian, I live in Lowell just east of Springdale. I'm 34 years old with 4 sons that span from 1 year old ( we call him oops) to my stepson who is 17. I'm a plumber by trade. I hunt Benton,Washington,Madison and Carrol counties. Both public and private land. I live a stones throw from Beaver lake, I can be found there chasing crappie and walleye.

martha j
October 5th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Hi; i'm doug, i live in Pea Ridge & only shoot traditional now days. don't have to drag as many out that way as getting to old for it (62) but still an opportunity to hunt on father inlaws land & try to teach sons in laws about hunting. married 42 years, 2 daughters, 4 grand kids. used to moonlight in Wilderness outback in Rogers for Becky & Wendell.

yates_27
October 5th, 2009, 09:04 PM
hey everyone. I'm John from Ozark. I got to school at UA Fort Smith. I'm 20 years old and have only been bowhunting for about 3 years now and love it. I mostly hunt some family property and mountains north of town. I venture to the bottoms a couple times. I'm looking forward to my first bow kill this year. I love to duck hunt as well.

yates_27
October 5th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Hey everyone, I'm John from Ozark. I'm 20 years old and have been hunting since i could walk. I go to school at UA Fort Smith. I started bow hunting last year and am hoping for my first bow kill this year. Last year i killed a 6 point with a muzzleloader. I mostly hunt on family property but also hunt public quite a bit. I also duck hunt whenever i get a chance.

solocamo50
October 6th, 2009, 12:30 AM
I'm Tony, 53 yrs old, married, archery addict, been pulling em back for 41 yrs. Got my first deer at 15 with a Pearson recurve I still own. Yeah, I got it bad.
Current President of Little River County Archery Club. I shoot a few of the ASA National shoots, when work allows. Have taken deer, turkeys and hogs and hope to get to take a few more out before I push up daisies. Got to hunt Hot Springs Urban Hunt in Sept. and got 4 the first week. Hope its a good indicator for this years regular season. Good hunting everyone and Stay Calm and Pick A Spot. I work with Millwood Mudd, can't believe a thing he tells ya....j/k Tony

DRT
October 6th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I'm DRT, mmmmmum, live in arkansaw, mmmmmummmmm, love dem french fri taters, mmmmmmmmmmummm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/walker66/slingblade4.jpg

swampboss
October 6th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Hey, guys I like to roll incognotis on these forums. I hunt mostly in LA ( lower arkansas ) sometimes TX and N La. I have been bow hunting 30+ yrs. I haven't missed an opening day in 30 years.
Here is a challenge for you guys- Take a kid hunting at least once this year .
By all means HUNT LEGAL , ALWAYS. Only low life slobs are game hogs and thieves.
Good Hunting.

AR_Headhunter
October 6th, 2009, 02:52 PM
By all means HUNT LEGAL , ALWAYS. Only low life slobs are game hogs and thieves.
Good Hunting.

Agreed!

DRT
October 6th, 2009, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=swampboss;1055781029]
QUOTE]

I always do, I take my little cousin. I pour code blue all over him and make him run trails on the ridges leading to my stand. He likes it cause he doesn't have to wear his helmet when he is with me.

WGA
October 6th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Well I guess I'll chime in, I kinda feel like this is an AA meeting. Hi my name is Kevin, I'm 34, married for 11 yrs and we have one 6yr old knucklehead boy, I am an Operator at Lion Oil Refinery and I'm a Huntaholic. If it has a season I hunt it or have hunted it. I enjoy deer hunting and just this year got into Archery, I absolutely love Turkey hunting, but my passion is my Squirrel Dogs.

I got into Bowhunting mainly just to give me a little alone time deer hunting, cause when Firestick season opens it on with me and the boy and my wife hunts too.

I gotta brag a little here, I've been hunting since I could walk and here is my best 2 deer to date.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q271/wildgameassassin/101_0023.jpg
my boys first deer

and his first buck
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q271/wildgameassassin/IM000769.jpg

AR_Headhunter
October 7th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Nothing is more fun than sharing the outdoors with your kids. Congrats to your knucklehead boy! LOL

1stormseekr
October 9th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Well my name is Scott, married with 4 girls, and i will be 39 this november. I am a disabled vet who has been away from hunting for 9 years and Just started shooting a bow for the first time in 17 years. I am from Franklin in Izard county and currentyl live just north of Camp in fulton county. Got my girls interested in shooting traditional and am having a blast.

swampboss
October 9th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Well my name is Scott, married with 4 girls, and i will be 39 this november. I am a disabled vet who has been away from hunting for 9 years and Just started shooting a bow for the first time in 17 years. I am from Franklin in Izard county and currentyl live just north of Camp in fulton county. Got my girls interested in shooting traditional and am having a blast.

Way to go! Get those kids started young. Some of our best family memories are outdoors hunting and fishing. Thanks for your service to our Country.

B-deaux
October 11th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Hey, I'm 36 years old and reside in Little Rock. I'm a grad from UALR and work @ Allied Glass and Aluminum. I enjoy making game calls and hunting mostly public ground around the state.

fitz270
October 13th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I am 26 and have lived around Charleson my whole life. I have been married for 7yrs and have 3 boys. The two older ones are getting into hunting and I am pumped up about it, the oldest one went on his first turkey hunt this spring and shot fan off of a big ole long beard. It did not kill the bird but we both had a great time he was a little upset but it got his blood pumping and I think he is pretty pumped up about going hunting now. Anyways I have hunted since I was 7 and haven't stopped since, I began bow hunting when I was about 17 and became addicted at the age of 20. If there is a hunting season open or if the crappie are biten then my wife is gripping because I am gone.

prowannabe
October 27th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Hey, Doug here, 38, live in LR...raised in Newport. Married with the sweetest little 15 month old girl on the planet. I sell timberland for a living and also own a home inspection company. Been deer (rifle) hunting and duck hunting since I could walk but just started bow hunting 3 years ago. Have managed to harvest one deer, one black bear, a few coons, several squirrels and one chipmunk with my bow. Have a big bear coming in recently and hopefully going to get him this weekend, looks 400# from the game trail cam.

tmkilburn
October 28th, 2009, 01:05 AM
I'm Tanner, born and raised in Little Rock. Currently living and going to school in Fayetteville at U of A. I'm new to bow hunting but have been hunting for as long as I can remember. If you can eat it I'll shoot at it. :thumbs_up

tmkilburn
October 28th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Whoops, forgot my age. 21. :darkbeer:

bigdoglanyards
October 28th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I'm Bo, I live in the Alma area. I am married and have 6 boys (24,19,11,5,3,18mo.) I work in construction/land development. I deer hunt mainly in the crawford county area. We home school our kids so I never have a shortage of company to take to the woods. I love deer hunting and only hunt archery.