PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas acorn crop

AR_Headhunter
September 27th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Whats the acorn crop looking like for you guys? I just got in from a 6+ mile trail ride up through the Ozark National Forest & didn't see enough acorns on the trees or ground to fill a coffee cup. Looks like very little of a acorn crop here this year which should benefit hunting. Last year we had so many acorns a deer could never leave a 50' circle & eat all he wanted.

jna329
September 27th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Acorns seem to be spotty here in nwa. I did some scouting in public land and found one area that had plenty - a mile away couldnt find an acorn. went to some private land and couldnt find much either.

befus
September 28th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Not very good where I have been. Some trees look good, but overall very poor crop.

goatranch
September 28th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Acorns seem to be spotty here in nwa. I did some scouting in public land and found one area that had plenty - a mile away couldnt find an acorn. went to some private land and couldnt find much either.

Not much here either.

jna where you at? I'm in Berryville.

GobGetrvideo
September 28th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I have seen certain places where they are loaded in the trees and on the ground but also i have seen places where there are not any! I love the years when its like this because when you find a tree thats dropping your in for a fun hunt!

ISO12ring
September 30th, 2009, 01:44 AM
I have a ton here in my yard (Sheridan), but haven't looked much at the lease.

goatranch
September 30th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I set my blind last night for in the morning. Sad to say not an acorn in sight.:( Might be a tough year for me. Break out the feeder.

Good luck to you Arkansas boys in the morning.

jna329
September 30th, 2009, 12:19 PM
sorry havent been on here too often. busy trying to get stands hung and things as well as work. goatranch i am around springdale. I have family that live in berryville and green forest. I should be in g.f. this weekend. Hope to hunt there sunday morning.

martha j
September 30th, 2009, 12:52 PM
have been seeing a few on the ground up in the pea ridge area but not real heavy like years past.

goatranch
September 30th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Does anyone know WHY? We've had good moisture all year long. It should be better than this. Anyone???

AR_Headhunter
September 30th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I dunno but I'm glad this is a slack year for acorns. It will really help me this year.

jna329
October 3rd, 2009, 11:00 PM
Does anyone know WHY? We've had good moisture all year long. It should be better than this. Anyone???

this varies- usually weather related. bad freeze, too much or not enough water thru year, too hot all year, etc. you have to figure what happened in your area over the year and it will usually lend you some sort of reason. also could be negative impact of enviroment-i.e. pollution, etc. hope this helps

usually a weather issue

goatranch
October 4th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Well yesterday I am noticing some acorns starting to drop in my areas. I'm glad as it is different everywhere but seems here when acorn crop is low the deer vacate the area completely for better pickings.

swampboss
October 4th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I appears to be a good crop here in the southern part of the state. The recent storms have knocked off a lot early. The pigs are hitting them hard after no pig sign all summer now they are on 3 of the 4 places I hunt.

jna329
October 4th, 2009, 11:42 PM
swampboss - u let me know if the pigs get to be a nuisance. I have myself and at least three others itching to stick some pig. We have been unsuccesful in locating anyone close to put us on any. I am willing to drive if you or anyone elsse put me on one or three.

asa_low12
October 5th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I just got pigs on my place last week. My foodplots have rooted up spots as big as a tire all over them. I hope I can stick one bad.

whitewolf1
October 5th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Looks like a really good nutall and overcup crop down in the Se part of the state. Looks like they are going ot be early this year too.

swampboss
October 5th, 2009, 10:00 PM
swampboss - u let me know if the pigs get to be a nuisance. I have myself and at least three others itching to stick some pig. We have been unsuccesful in locating anyone close to put us on any. I am willing to drive if you or anyone elsse put me on one or three.

Thanks for wanting to help,but two of my hunting loc. are leases with other hunters that would frown on bringing any one in this time of year. We are going to have to trap them on these two spots. We try to shoot all we see but each year there is more and more. They will be hard to trap this time of year, lots of acorns.
If you want to make a road trip go to Felsanthal NWR , They used to be thick in there. The NW end of Jones Lake area used to be loaded with them. There are marked 4 wheeler trails all over it. Finding sign would be easy.

readytoshootsum
October 8th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Acorns are few and small up here in NWA, our place in Kingston seems to have more. I don't know why, but it didn't get hit as hard by the icestorm