PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Hunt Kissimmee River PUA?

b_vanfossen
October 4th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I do and was looking for a bowhunting buddy. I really like starvation slough...

Brian

EnglishKev
October 31st, 2009, 07:27 PM
I really like starvation slough...

Brian

So do I.
I've hunted there on previous visits to the States.
How wet is it this year when you walk in?

Kev

QuickReflex
October 31st, 2009, 09:53 PM
Never heard of it , Whats PUA & what county is it ?

b_vanfossen
November 1st, 2009, 12:04 AM
How wet is it this year when you walk in?

there is only one little wet patch that is about 15 feet long. boot high.

It's in Kissimmee River PUA. Just NW of Okeechobee county... It Runs from HWY 60 (Yeehaw Junction) to south oh HWY 70...

EnglishKev
November 1st, 2009, 08:58 AM
About the same as last year then.
Worst I've had was about crutch level, and 3 or 4 areas to wade through.
I've been told it can get to armpit depth some years!!

Kev

b_vanfossen
November 1st, 2009, 12:28 PM
About the same as last year then.
Worst I've had was about crutch level, and 3 or 4 areas to wade through.
I've been told it can get to armpit depth some years!!

Kev

well you sure don't want to walk on the airboat section! lol

that place stays pretty high and dry for the most part. It's why I like hunting the river. I live south and most other paces are swamps.

The irony in this is that the person that responds to this thread is from England!! :D

too bad you are not here now. I'm looking for a hunting buddy

Brian

QuickReflex
November 2nd, 2009, 09:20 PM
I was just North of you hunting today, up around rough island,Johnson Island,off Lake Hatchneha.
Didnt see a darn thing, nothing at all other than wading birds. I thought the rut was supposed to be in up there but IDK.....

Dry , this place is really dry for this time of year we need rain or its gonna get ugly.

b_vanfossen
November 3rd, 2009, 12:00 AM
I don't know where that is exactly. You can go to www.myfwc.com/hunting and look at the app. rut dates fro your area though.

I' a little dissapointed. I've only hunted opening morning in Kissimmee. I saw quite alot for the little I did. Woeks been real slow and gas money is tight!

hope you get one!

QuickReflex
November 3rd, 2009, 07:55 AM
Yea ,I know when the rut is supposed to be it Now , but it aint happening.
Weird weather unseasonably Hot must have hade them later or something.

This area is well north of you in Oceola county. Theres alot of people that do know about it , theres tree stands every 100yds in some places.

Chasintails
November 13th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I've been thinking about trying this place out for a couple of years now but haven't had any luck getting my buddy's on board. I may do a day trip after Thanksgiving to scout it out. I'll be interested in the bow only area. How crowded is it and what type of walking/terrain should I expect? Would like to bring the climber out and maybe leave it locked to a tree, has anyone experienced theft or anything? Thanks in advance.

QuickReflex
November 13th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I've been thinking about trying this place out for a couple of years now but haven't had any luck getting my buddy's on board. I may do a day trip after Thanksgiving to scout it out. I'll be interested in the bow only area. How crowded is it and what type of walking/terrain should I expect? Would like to bring the climber out and maybe leave it locked to a tree, has anyone experienced theft or anything? Thanks in advance.

I wouldnt think there is a problem with stands being left as a thief would have his pick around there there must be a stand every 100yds no joke.

As far as hunting I walked all day Nov.2nd & didnt see anything I didnt even jump a doe. I chalked it up to too much pressure, I even walked to the far back & still couldnt get away from people. Theres No way Im going in there during gun season.

Where is this Bow only section ?

b_vanfossen
November 13th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I wouldnt think there is a problem with stands being left as a thief would have his pick around there there must be a stand every 100yds no joke.

As far as hunting I walked all day Nov.2nd & didnt see anything I didnt even jump a doe. I chalked it up to too much pressure, I even walked to the far back & still couldnt get away from people. Theres No way Im going in there during gun season.

Where is this Bow only section ?

haha. ya have to have your walking shoes on. I've walked 5 miles each way. always see a ton of doe- just no shooter bucks- although I got a nice 6 point last Saturday.

It's just like another place- you risk what ever you leave out. All people I've met are really nice, and I've met a lot.

Chasintails
November 15th, 2009, 11:12 AM
5 miles seems like quite a walk. Have you tried biking it or is the ground too soft for that? I'm guessing you can still only shoot bucks during general gun, even if you're hunting with a bow in Starvation Slough. I think we'll take a trip out there to scout around after Thanksgiving. Can you drive through the residential neighborhood to the east to get to the start of Starvation or do you have to drive up off 98?

b_vanfossen
November 15th, 2009, 12:13 PM
5 miles seems like quite a walk. Have you tried biking it or is the ground too soft for that? I'm guessing you can still only shoot bucks during general gun, even if you're hunting with a bow in Starvation Slough. I think we'll take a trip out there to scout around after Thanksgiving. Can you drive through the residential neighborhood to the east to get to the start of Starvation or do you have to drive up off 98?

only cow pasture and the Okeechobee hunt club butts up to starvation slough.

I walked 5 miles to the end of no name slough from starvation's parking lot- quite far lol. If I shoot something that far out I have to try and bum a ride with an air boat.

A bike would be a good thing. I can't fit one in my car though. The ground is hard and dry accept for one hole (little river) on my route. Yes, with it being general gun season you can only take a legal buck- even in starvation.

It's really nice out there. It has been my favorite spot until last weekend. I now really like the southern portion of the PUA. You can access it by any type of boat to cut down walking. It's also extrememly dry and very open. When the deer are scared the run into the very thick stuff that runs along the Kissimmee river.

Chasintails
November 15th, 2009, 03:44 PM
By southern portion to you mean south zone south of SR 70? Are you hunting with a slug gun or muzzleloader? I have a muzzleloader but was considering an H&R slug gun for purposes of hunting this management area. I'm more of a bow hunter and would love to hunt bow year around. Will have to walk the area for the first time. Looks like there is some gun hunting in between the Slough and the river.

b_vanfossen
November 16th, 2009, 04:59 PM
By southern portion to you mean south zone south of SR 70? Are you hunting with a slug gun or muzzleloader? I have a muzzleloader but was considering an H&R slug gun for purposes of hunting this management area. I'm more of a bow hunter and would love to hunt bow year around. Will have to walk the area for the first time. Looks like there is some gun hunting in between the Slough and the river.

yes- south of SR 70

I use a muzzleloader or bow if in Starvation.

yes- you can use a muzzleloader or shotgun (no center fire) between starvation and the river.

Good luck if you go. I'll be out there this weekend myself.

Chasintails
November 16th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Got the Gator game this weekend. But will definitely do some scouting after Thanksgiving, probably December 5th or 12th.

Chasintails
December 29th, 2009, 03:18 PM
b_vanfossen,

Did you make it back out and if you did, any luck?

Still haven't found a weekend to get out and scout but will after the first of the year.

b_vanfossen
December 29th, 2009, 08:23 PM
b_vanfossen,

Did you make it back out and if you did, any luck?

Still haven't found a weekend to get out and scout but will after the first of the year.

I went out one other time. We got an 5 year old non typical 6 point with broken main beam.
I've pretty much stopped hunting. How have you done?

Brian

Chasintails
January 2nd, 2010, 04:36 PM
I didn't have a chance to make it out there and gave up on 3 Lakes after seeing all the hunters during general gun. Gearing up for fishing and waiting until next year's hunting season to decide if I'll stay local or get a lease in GA. Glad to see you got a nice one. I'm guessing that was in the Slough?