PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to "over-aim" or "try too hard"?

turkeygirl
October 4th, 2009, 08:48 PM
So I've been trying to get in a routine of practicing before the season opener. The last week was all rainy so it kind of put a dampero n it but otherwise I try to put in some shooting time each day.

So what's been happening is I'll start shooting decent groups out to 35 yards ...then after a little but, my groups get crappy, like past 20 yards. I thought maybe it was my bow arm getting tired, which probably is, and maybe my stabilizer as it adds some weight to my bow. Since it's a Fuse, I took the one piece off so it's shorter and a little lighter, but I still shoot about the same. I shoot an 06 Hoyt Rintec XL (cam & 1/2).

Well tonight I think I figured out my problem, if there is such a thing. First of all I switched to a Whisker Biscuit...one of the new ones this year, after having shot a NAP prong rest my entire bow hunting career of like 8 years. I noticed maybe my groups aren't quite as good...I mean they are pretty good, but I felt I had more consister groups with the prong rest, but I love the WB, it's quiet and I don't have to worry about the arrow. So tonight I start out shooting decent...and wondering if the last few times if I've been changing my anchor or dropping my bow arm slightly. So tonight I straightened my arm a little more, to put more forward pressure on my bow, and it seemed like my shooting turned to crap!:eek:

Well I kept shooting then I though why not relax and just "go with the flow", don't concentrate, just put the pin on the target and let it fly. So I started to relax my mind and my arm, so to speak, and I was shooting better! My groups got better, I shot a beautiful group at 35 yards, down to 5 yards...I guess I started to think more in line of when I'm in the stand and a deer comes in...draw, anchor, put the pin on the deer, and squeeze the trigger...I feel like lately I've been focusing on keeping the pin more on the target, which in turn causes me to stiffen my bow arm to hold the bow completely still in order to hold my pin still. then with all that I think my arm was getting tired from aiming too long!

Also, something that happens sometimes is I'll go to put my finger on the trigger, and my finger missed the trigger, and the cams pull forward on me slightly...I don't know what it's called...the bow has always been like that, a stiff draw, let down, the valley, I don't know what it's called...So in turn it causes me to feel sometimes like I rush hitting the trigger. Well tonight I worked on drawing and putting my finger at the trigger but not touching it and then letting down on my draw and drawing again, then hitting the trigger, well squeeze. It's not something to happens every shot...I think maybe it happens if I let up with my bow arm a little bit.

Sorry for the long story. I think I ended on a good note though tonight. I relaxed more and rather than focus on aiming and holding the pin still, just drew, put my pin on the target, and released, trying to focus on following through. So I was shooting alot better groups and feel more confident.

So is over aiming and trying to hard a real thing? Any good tips from what you've read of my book,lol.

teflonhunter
October 4th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I think trying too hard can cause tension , mental and physical and cause poor shooting. I know shooting too many arrows during a practice session usually leads to poor groups. Sounds like you are figuring your problems out. Good luck with your shooting and your hunting season.:)

Big Country
October 4th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Archery is 90% mental/10% physical.

Your conscious mind can only concentrate on one thing at a time, and that should be making a clean release. If you are consciously worrying about perfect form, followthrough, holding like a rock on the target, you will run into problems.

So, after that long explanation, the short answer is........YES, it is possible to try too hard.:)

Those things I mentioned are vitally important to being consistant, but they are attained through quality practice until they are automatic.

Bowhunter57
October 4th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Archery is 90% mental/10% physical.

Your conscious mind can only concentrate on one thing at a time, and that should be making a clean release. If you are consciously worrying about perfect form, followthrough, holding like a rock on the target, you will run into problems.

So, after that long explanation, the short answer is........YES, it is possible to try too hard.:)

Those things I mentioned are vitally important to being consistant, but they are attained through quality practice until they are automatic.

:set1_signs009:
What he said!!!

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

tpoof
October 4th, 2009, 09:33 PM
what you are saying is very common amoung archers that have shot quite a lot.
My advice to you would be to purchase a good Hinge Back Tension release and work to develope a "shot sequence" whereby you can just focus on aiming and let the rest take care of itself.
Trying always to *be perfect* will only cause you trouble in the long run.
Develope a strong shot squence with proper form will go a long way to keep you in the sport a long time.

alwayslookin
October 4th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Don't look at your pins and concentrate on the "spot" you are aiming at and just let your pin float in the "spot". If I concentrate on my pin I will miss everytime....but if I concentrate on the "spot" I'm aiming at and let the pin float across it then it's hard to miss.

If you concentrate on the pin.....you chase the pin....simple as that.
Pressure between the bow arm (push) and draw arm (pull) has to be equal.....this in itself will steady your pin.

But just relax....especially with a biscuit.....if you preload your arm in anticipation....you will start to jump on the trigger, and then drop your bow arm.

Just relax.....pull hard and let the pin float.

Good Luck.

crazy wolf
October 4th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Relax , and let the pin float. I shoot just 12 arrows per practice.

Crazy Wolf.

12bhunting
October 4th, 2009, 11:55 PM
had same problem. it came out of nowhere during a practice. started blind shootin for a week and its back to a great suprise release. good luck

turkeygirl
October 10th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks guys. Started doing alot better...though I start out shooting real well...then I think I shoot too much and start to lose my groupings..So I think I need to just shoot a few shots at a time...

staggyd
October 10th, 2009, 10:01 PM
when trying too hard to keep the pin rock solid on your spot it may have caused you to torque the bow making for bad groups.....??????