PDA

View Full Version : Scent Control

GSPKurt
October 5th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Let's hear it, you guys...

How in the HE** do you stay scent free in this heat? I literally hose myself down with Dead Down Wind, use scent-free soap, shampoo, laundry detergent, deodorant...

I keep my clothes in a large Ziplock bag with charcoal until I put them on...

I hang the earth scent wafers in my ground blind, respray with DDW, use the scent killer wipes while in my blind, and I still get busted by hogs and deer.

I have until the end of bow season, because my club runs dogs, and once the puppies are loose, I won't see a deer.

Sound off, my fellow Floridians!

Fldeerslayer
October 5th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Let's hear it, you guys...

How in the HE** do you stay scent free in this heat? I literally hose myself down with Dead Down Wind, use scent-free soap, shampoo, laundry detergent, deodorant...

I keep my clothes in a large Ziplock bag with charcoal until I put them on...

I hang the earth scent wafers in my ground blind, respray with DDW, use the scent killer wipes while in my blind, and I still get busted by hogs and deer.

I have until the end of bow season, because my club runs dogs, and once the puppies are loose, I won't see a deer.

Sound off, my fellow Floridians!

1st rule don't hunt out of a ground blind. I like to hunt between 20'-30'. If I can't get that high I'll find another spot.

I do way less than you & rarely have deer wind me.

QuickReflex
October 5th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Never had any luck with ground blinds for deer, they will bust you quick at eye level in those things . If you like being on the ground though make a natural blind from some brush & cabbage fans or palmmetto fans , just make sure you have a big tree behind you so your not outlined plus you'll be in the shade . Ive had deer litteraly walk right past these during spring turkey.

The best though is get above thier nose, 25' up is the way to go.out of sight out of mind.

good luck

Renegadehunter
October 6th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Kurt, make sure your blind is brushed in good. that is probably the main reason you are getting busted. i hunt off the ground too, i use natural blinds. i killed one already in a public wma, so i dont think its because you arent in a tree stand.

Slinging
October 6th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I had a deer 15-20 ft from me in my blind today couldn't take the shot due to scrub oak branches

GSPKurt
October 6th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I had a deer 15-20 ft from me in my blind today couldn't take the shot due to scrub oak branches

:focus:

GSPKurt
October 6th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Kurt, make sure your blind is brushed in good. that is probably the main reason you are getting busted. i hunt off the ground too, i use natural blinds. i killed one already in a public wma, so i dont think its because you arent in a tree stand.

Nah, the blind has been there for 3 months now, and those hogs know it's there, I've got 'em on camera many times. They smell me. I may have to get a tripod.

Fldeerslayer
October 6th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Are you using any other scents like doe pee? Cause I've had those type of scents repel as many deer as they attract.

FYI, I'm not saying you can't kill deer from a blind, I killed a doe last week via spot n stalk. But the higher you go the easier it gets IMO.

I'm right up the road from ya in high springs, What club are you in?

JPizzle
October 6th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Dont use all the wafers and scent killer stuff. I have gone to no smell and it seems to work better for me. All my clothes are washed in baking soda and then in a rubbermaid with a baking soda box. Boots also in a rubbermaid with baking soda box. All the fresh earth is too strong to me. I know when I go by a jobsite where they have been diggin, there is a strong smell that I dont always smell. I have been able to sit at the base of an oak tree with hogs within 10 feet of me. My rifle was pointing right at the closets hogs forehead.

GSPKurt
October 6th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Are you using any other scents like doe pee? Cause I've had those type of scents repel as many deer as they attract.

FYI, I'm not saying you can't kill deer from a blind, I killed a doe last week via spot n stalk. But the higher you go the easier it gets IMO.

I'm right up the road from ya in high springs, What club are you in?

I don't use any scents. I don't believe they work either.

I hunt in Dixie County, at Rock Level.

GSPKurt
October 7th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Well, I did something right today. I killed my first deer of the season this morning at 8:30 AM. I got up in a tree stand, and although the wind was swirling, he stuck around (no pun intended) long enough for me to tag him.:dancing:

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj156/GSPKurt/SpikeBuck007s.jpg

floridabou3
October 7th, 2009, 07:59 PM
this is what i do i hunt in the morning and if i can i shower and change camo if i get hot and nasty befor i hunt the afternoon and the only scent i use is pine scent used it for years works good i think so i do get like 20 30 feet in the tree tho... i killed this small spike few days ago

floridabou3
October 7th, 2009, 08:03 PM

floridabou3
October 7th, 2009, 08:05 PM