PDA

View Full Version : How to set your bow up for broadheads class 101

phoneguy44
October 6th, 2009, 08:42 AM
On more than one occation I have read comments on broadhead threads like this "You need to to set your bow up to shoot them like field points. "

I havent been shooting long like most of you guys on here but I'm not stupid either. Can someone share a basic 101 class on how to set your bow up for broadheads and what the difference would be if your busting the X with field points at 40 yards already ?

I've just purchased some slick tricks and waiting on my broadhead target to arrive in the mail. Want to prepare now if I can ?

Thanks guys.

Yichi
October 6th, 2009, 09:02 AM
It's a sticky in the bowhunting forum.

Broadhead tuning day today (http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=539460)

onlyaspike
October 6th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Make sure your shafts are perefectly straight and squared on both ends. ( I set aside some shafts that are broadhead/hunting shafts only so that they do not get beat up- )Screw your broadheads on and spin check them, make sure there is no wobble at all.Personally I dont care if the fletches line up exactly with the blades just so they are all orientated the same. ( ie- I want every arrow identical in relationship between the fletches and blades).The rest is up to you and your bow. If your bow is tuned perfectly you should be mighty close to the same POI as your fieldpoints.When setting up my bows whats worked best for me is first papertuning tehn walkback tuning for teh most forgiving setup. After the walkbalk tune my broadheads have always hit the same point as my fieldpoints, I might have gotten lucky, but I doubt it. If your still off a little you might have to MICRO ADJ. your rest. There is alot of info on here in the bowhunter forums on this. GOOD LUCK.

RugerRedhawk
October 6th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I don't know when your season starts, but for me it's less than two weeks, so field points will be coming off and all that matters is that the broadheads hit the X.

phoneguy44
October 6th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Make sure your shafts are perefectly straight and squared on both ends.

When you say squared, do you mean when the arrow was cut to length, there at the cut ?

I bought my arrows at the bow shop Easton N-fused 400 and bow shop cut them. Am I dancin around the wrong table here ?

phoneguy44
October 6th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Yichi, Thanks for the link to the thread but still poses the same question about arrow being squared. Someone SQUARE me away on this.

Bowdon
October 6th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Go to Easton broadhead tuning guide, There nothing to it I have hunted for 45 years and have never had any problem tuning broadhead even with a recurve. I could shoot a fixed head 25 yards bare shaft just like it had vanes on it and was shooting then in a 3 inch spot at 50 yard before the hunting season this year. I have had some that were harder than others, but tunable.

phoneguy44
October 6th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Go to Easton broadhead tuning guide

Got it, reading now.

onlyaspike
October 6th, 2009, 12:18 PM
When you say squared, do you mean when the arrow was cut to length, there at the cut ?

I bought my arrows at the bow shop Easton N-fused 400 and bow shop cut them. Am I dancin around the wrong table here ?

I use a ASD from G5...I cut the arrow to length first then I square both ends of the arrow w/ the G5 ASD perfectly when Im building the arrows. Squaring the point end helps the broadhead screw perfectly flush/straight against the shaft end and squaring the nock end lets ALL THE FORCE from the bowsting push on the nock (that is making perfect contact with the shaft after being squared) evenly.Which brings up another point to replace and/or inspect your nocks.

phoneguy44
October 6th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Go to Easton broadhead tuning guide

WOW, alot of info in there and I love the way the explain everything (simple).
Not sure HOW i would do some of that stuff but do like the info. That doc isnt just for broadhead tuning, it could help you find problems you're having shooting PERIOD.

Thanks for the info guys and the help, love this site ! Makin me a better shooter everyday.

phoneguy44
October 6th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Another Question:

Now I havent even shot my broadheads yet, just reading this doc by Easton on tuning. Can a standard guy make all these adjustments himself at home ? Like, moving the nock (shootin a loop)...... and what is a cushion plunger ??

Just curious ? Cause I'm not going to have any kind of "special" tools.

StrutStopper
October 6th, 2009, 02:18 PM
You should be able to make the adjustments yourself. A cushion plunger is somewhat outdated. You probably aren't using one. It is basically a spring loaded button mounted on the hole that goes through your riser that your arrow rests against. Another name for it is the berger button.

Bowdon
October 6th, 2009, 02:29 PM
It's called a Panic button too