PDA

View Full Version : Stands on public Land

huntin' hard
October 8th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Anybody put hang-ons or ladders on public land? Ever had anybody mess with them? Just contemplating putting a lock-on up somewhere to make getting in the tree a little quicker in the afternnons after work.

regionrathunter
October 8th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Your takin a chance on public land. If no one steals it, youll have guys hunting out of it. I hunt public land and i use a climber so i could move around and not give away my spots. Try to go as far as away as you could. Alot of guys dont want to put in the extra effort to walk far or to get to those hard to get places. Also, alot of guys sees a stand and will set up close to you or on the same trail as you. It gets tuff huntin public land but if you put in a little more effort it could pay off. Good luck to you. And if you do put up a stand definatly put a lock on it.

QuickReflex
October 8th, 2009, 12:42 PM
If you hang a lock on remove the steps at least the last bottom ones so it cant be easily messed with. Plus cable & lock it.

JPizzle
October 8th, 2009, 05:56 PM
My buddy and I were talking about this yesterday. I was thinking about putting some of the cheap hang ons from Dicks up in the tree and just taking my lone wolf sticks with me. You could get up pretty quick and quitely as hanging the stand is the time consuming loud part.

A ladder stand is nice but the actual ladder really sticks out and draws attention. A hang on 15-10' up isnt as noticable.

QuickReflex
October 8th, 2009, 08:44 PM
My buddy and I were talking about this yesterday. I was thinking about putting some of the cheap hang ons from Dicks up in the tree and just taking my lone wolf sticks with me. You could get up pretty quick and quitely as hanging the stand is the time consuming loud part.

A ladder stand is nice but the actual ladder really sticks out and draws attention. A hang on 15-10' up isnt as noticable.

Ive done this in the past w/o any problems, most the time if you dont see any steps @ eye level as long as the stand is camoed fairly good no one will even know its there but if they do see it most wont try to fool with it if theres no steps. You can hang a couple steps in a min. or two in the AM.

soflanut
October 8th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I have a climbing stand which works well. I have also used some of the wooden stands out in the woods. People aren't suppose to build them but there out there. I have never had a problem doing this. Just have to check for there sturdiness.

huntin' hard
October 8th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Thanks guys, I'm probably gonna just stick with my climber for now, until I find a for sure jam-up spot that a climber isn't well suited to. Good luck ot there!

JPizzle
October 9th, 2009, 12:45 AM
In Florida between the pines and palm trees. There is always a good chance to find a tree for a climber. Getting into the Cypress trees is what is throwing me off now. Most dont seem big enough, and the ones that are, are too wide at the bottom. Plus all the branches.

Fldeerslayer
October 9th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I'm gonna try the same thing this year on public land. I hate haveing to lug a climber in & out every time.

FYI, I just got a few cheapo hang ons from the www.sportsmansguide.com They have stands & climbing sticks as low as $30 each. $60+ shipping for a whole setup!

whitetailmaster
October 9th, 2009, 10:51 AM
i stay away from public land altogether. i ask around about as much private land as possible. i live near red hill state park and ive had my share of stands taken. if somebody wants that stand they are gonna get it and if they cant they will screw it up for you. if they cant have it then why should anybody else

Fldeerslayer
October 9th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I hunt mostly hunt private & have had more problems on private land than public:sad:

I had deer hugger chop down the tree my feeder was on then chop up the feeder with an axe! This was not close to any property lines or anything to provoke it.

huntin' hard
October 10th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I had deer hugger chop down the tree my feeder was on then chop up the feeder with an axe! This was not close to any property lines or anything to provoke it.
That would make for a very unpleasant day....

floridabou3
October 19th, 2009, 08:00 PM
well i went hunting monday and i left my summit viper in the woods thinking i was going back the next morning and i got sick and went to the hospital and someone stole my stand sucks im so mad about this,..

Wishbone
October 21st, 2009, 12:36 PM
well i went hunting monday and i left my summit viper in the woods thinking i was going back the next morning and i got sick and went to the hospital and someone stole my stand sucks im so mad about this,..

Why didn't you hide your climber ? Mark the spot with your gps if you have to..Thats all it takes is one time ,and you have learned your lesson.

Supercracker
October 30th, 2009, 03:57 AM
I will never rifle hunt on public land in the State of Florida again. I went to Camp Blanding WMA many years ago with a friend and didn't think I would survive the day. The artillery and mortor rounds were loud, but were at least landing in the designated impact zone.

Thier were hundreds of guys with high power rifles and blaze orange stomping around in 90 degree heat. One guy went through a box of 20 while sighting in his brand new 30-06 about 100 yards behind me on opening morning.

When the shooting slowed down about 9:30 am, I made as much noise as i could coming down the tree, grabbed my climber, and ran for the truck. My buddy had been braver than me, and had been waiting at the truck since 20 minutes after day break. I would guess over 500 shots were fired that opening morning, with not one spike checked into the ranger station.

I have been on some really good quota bow and muzzle hunts out in the Florida pan handle and had a great time. It seems they were much later in the season, cooler and no bugs. I think the bow hunters are generally a higher class of hunter, at least on public land.

getumspike
October 30th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Thier were hundreds of guys with high power rifles and blaze orange stomping around in 90 degree heat. One guy went through a box of 20 while sighting in his brand new 30-06 about 100 yards behind me on opening morning.

That sucks! You are not allowed to target practice in the wma's that I hunt in unless there is a designated area (gun range). It states that specificly in the brochures. I looked on myfwc.com and it doesn't have such a restriction for camp blanding. So you might just want to try another wma for general gun.