PDA

View Full Version : NWA Hunting

tmkilburn
October 18th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Hello all. I just got my first bow but don't know where to go hunt with it. I've always used a rifle so this is fairly new to me. Does anyone know good areas to hunt around Fayetteville/Springdale that are open to the public? Thanks.

TK

fitz270
October 18th, 2009, 11:11 PM
There is alot of public hunting around springdale and fayettville, Lake weddington area is where I would be focusing right now. The only problem is that it shuts down sometime in November. There are some very big deer taken from weddington every year. Madison county wma is another good spot I have had the best luck out there, when you pull in the main entrance off of 23 hwy there is a little ranger station there and if you can catch some one there they will give you a great map of the place. I was up there working for a little over a year and this is where I headed every chance I had. It doesn't get as much pressure as some of the other areas. If you will look at the topo on the map, there are a bunch of natural funnels in this area and some great oak flats all over. It's tuff walking through a bunch of it though. Put in the hard work out there and it will pay off.

readytoshootsum
October 18th, 2009, 11:37 PM
What he said. The thing about Weddington and Madison county wma's is you have a chance at some monsters and if you are into hoghunting they have those as well. You can get some really good topo maps from the Packrat in Fayetteville or you can download them from the AGFC website. They take some good ones out of both places every year. I killed a 9 point at Madison county wma last year.

jna329
October 19th, 2009, 12:07 AM
another vote for wedington and madison county. wedington is definitely closer. glad to hear you got a bow. stick with it-you cant go wrong.

tmkilburn
October 19th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Thanks for the fast responses! Checked out a map of Lake Weddington. So any of the forrest area around the lake is free game(literally)?

jna329
October 19th, 2009, 11:23 PM
I may be wrong (someone correct me if i am), i believe the majority of the area is fair game. I dont think you can hunt on the land directly on the lake. but all surrounding land that is wma. there is a bit of private land that is scattered here and there throughout. but yes all should be accessible. I prefer the western portion of wedington myself. but not hunting it this year. at least not yet. good luck to you. if you need help finding your way around over there get a hold of me and i will try to get freed up and show you around. i am literally within minutes of wedington.