PDA

View Full Version : Anyone think the ice storm effected deer herd adversely?

goatranch
October 22nd, 2009, 09:43 AM
With my limited sights of deer and others on here and that I've talked to...how did the January ice storm effect our deer herd??

I know that it really effects turkey population. I doubt the deer could even walk around for days let alone find any food or water. What do all you guys think?

hunt4meat
October 22nd, 2009, 02:03 PM
On our place in north central AR, I cannot tell it has hurt the herd any, but what it has doneis changed typical year to year patterns. Where there have ALWAYS been trails, they are not any within 150 yards now, probably due to the amount of trees and tree tops on the ground. Also, we do nothave any acrons that we have seen so far, that mightbe attributed to the ice, but probably not.

nwaoutdoorsman
October 22nd, 2009, 03:09 PM
I've seen as many deer as normal if not more. Acorns are scattered with some areas yeilding alot and in other areas they are nonexistant. I'm sure the ice storm was hard on them but I can't see that it has hurt the overall population in the areas I hunt.

befus
October 22nd, 2009, 03:41 PM
On our place in north central AR, I cannot tell it has hurt the herd any, but what it has doneis changed typical year to year patterns. Where there have ALWAYS been trails, they are not any within 150 yards now, probably due to the amount of trees and tree tops on the ground. Also, we do nothave any acrons that we have seen so far, that mightbe attributed to the ice, but probably not.

I would agree with this assessment.

jna329
October 22nd, 2009, 07:59 PM
The storm definitely changed some things. Such as travel corridors, bedding areas in places. I have to agree with outdoorsman- i dont think it effected the deer too adversely, but it did change there movement patterns in areas. One travel route that had been used for years,on one place i hunt, took a lot of damage and the deer just seemed to move around the debree. they probably moved 100-150yards farther down the hill now. numbers seem ok just not enough time to hunt for me. things fixing to pick up though. bucks will be on prowl anytime.

swampboss
October 24th, 2009, 10:14 AM
One thing most people over look after an ice storm is the fact that the storm opens the canopy of the trees and creates very dense new browse for the deer to eat and hide in. Deer movement is a result of searching for food. ( with the exception of the rut ) Point is - the more deer food can = less movement and less sightings. JMO
The ice bad ice storm we had here in the south part of the state several years ago had people thinking it killed off a bunch of deer. It just multiplied the food and cover by about 20 times normal and the next fall we saw less deer.

goatranch
October 24th, 2009, 03:30 PM
One thing most people over look after an ice storm is the fact that the storm opens the canopy of the trees and creates very dense new browse for the deer to eat and hide in. Deer movement is a result of searching for food. ( with the exception of the rut ) Point is - the more deer food can = less movement and less sightings. JMO
The ice bad ice storm we had here in the south part of the state several years ago had people thinking it killed off a bunch of deer. It just multiplied the food and cover by about 20 times normal and the next fall we saw less deer.

Good points. thanks.

whitewolf1
October 26th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I agree with the above about opening the canopy and increasing browse. If anything it will improve the herd but you may not see it until next year.

AR_Headhunter
October 26th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I'm seeing tons of deer now. I think the cooler weather just finally got them to moving.