PDA

View Full Version : Pushmataha County

CrunchTime
October 25th, 2009, 11:23 PM
What's the going rate for lease property in Pushmataha county near the town of Rattan? 80 acres with deer and turkey. Has not been hunted in a couple of years. Don't know much more than this just looking to see what I should offer.
Has a creek and part of it is pine farm with partial oaks. If I'm not interested maybe someone may want to check into it. The land owner is not sure of price as well but told me to check it out and let him know.

CrunchTime
October 25th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Going once!

CrunchTime
October 25th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Going twice.

CrunchTime
October 25th, 2009, 11:51 PM
To bed you go. Will wake you up in the morning.

RedHawk357Mag
October 27th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Kinda interested in this one two. After those two state records get pulled out of there I am sure it's quite high.

CrunchTime
October 27th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Haven't heard anything about the state records but I've been spending a lot of time with the squirrels lately. Thanks for the bump RedHawk. Any more info?

aftermeryl
October 28th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Crunch I think he is referring to the two bucks shoot last year. They were taken near Rattan and Clayton. One only held the record for a few days before being lost to the other one. Rumor has it that the reigning record holder was shoot by a road hunter after a long night of drinking. Go figure!

aftermeryl
October 28th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Crunch, What kind of shape is the creeks in down there after Sunday nights toad strangler? I go north on 88000 off Cloudy road and I'm sure that the creek is over the slab there. With more rain forecast on Thursday, I'm not looking forward to coming in from the north via hwy 271. The Little River was really running hard Monday when we left there and I'm quite sure if much more rain comes this week, if it will remain bank full or worse.

CrunchTime
October 28th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Don't know aftermeryl. I live in East Texas and have never been to Rattan. My buddy bought this 80 acres a couple of years ago up there and he wants to lease it out but doesn't know what to charge. Thanks for the info on the 2 bucks taken in the area. I might even be interested but money is gona be tight this year and the next because I leased 1500 acres here in East TX. I told him AT was a great place to possibly find out how much he should ask and that I would post a thread to find out. Thanks for your reply.

aftermeryl
October 28th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Crunch, now that I know the Skinny, you should tell your buddy that 80 acres for hunting down near Cloudy/Rattan might be a tough proposition. Within 5 miles of Cloudy there is 113,000 acres of public access hunting. I thought at least he should know.

CrunchTime
October 28th, 2009, 11:01 PM
That will help for sure. Bet that public land is packed since the record book deer were taken nearby.

aftermeryl
October 29th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Crunch, one might conclude that it is very packed, but the truth is that it isn't. I have hunted in that part of the state my intire life, almost forty years, from one end of the region to the other. That area has traditionally been the hardest place to harvest a deer, even though it has been a top producer of trophies year in and year out. In the yearly days there was vast mountain ridges and valleys loaded with timber, and deep draws choked full of brush. When the timber companies started their wholesale cutting operations they left large areas void of hardwood tree, however they replanted with pine seedlings. These pines were planted close together to enhance speedy grow, as one would imagine, as the trees grew, along with the new undergrowth, some that was seeing sunlight for the first time in centuries, they created and unpenetratable jungle. This left the wildlife with a virtual sancutary. Early on it was just a matter of hunting the edges in hopes that a decent buck could be taken, as the cutting and seedling planting continued the jungle became more frequent with less and less hardwood to hunt. Most sportsman tired of trying to stay one step ahead of the timber companies, decided to move on to greener pastures, so to speak. It was about this time that the rest of the state was seeing a boon in our deer herd. So it just made sense to go hunt in other areas where there was at least a even chance to take a deer. Only the hunters who grew up in the region or held some other nostalic notion, remained to brave the ever changing conditions. My group has been one to stay, we had to change our way of thinking and it wasn't easy. We ultimatly choose instead of running from the clearcuts, we opted to go to them and as they mature we went into them, once the timber managers started their thinning process. We found that the deer had indeed florished and although never easy the deer were there and more than ever before. The public has been slow to rebound to the region although signs abound that in fact they are posed to do just that. For now though the area is safe to hunt and seldom does on see another hunter.

CrunchTime
October 29th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Sent you a PM aftermeryl