PDA

View Full Version : rutting activity?

solocamo50
October 27th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I've been working 12 hr shifts for a week, no hunting at all. Anybody seeing any rutting or chasing. Vacation starts tomorrow, just wondering how the rut is crankin up? A week ago today I saw a 4 point following a couple does, not close though, only hint I've seen.

AR_Headhunter
October 27th, 2009, 08:58 AM
It's just starting to heat up. Bucks are starting to really look for does. Now is the time to be in the stand if your not getting rained on like I am.

befus
October 27th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Nothing yet, but haven't seen enough to matter. May go this afternoon. I did check the location yesterday in a light rain and by 5:00 a buck had already freshened four scrapes. If they are doing that in day time it is a good sign.

Millwood Mudd
October 27th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I saw two does yesterday. One early in morning and the other was at dusk. No bucks in the area. I saw a young buck two days ago, walking around by his self. I hope your vacation is DRYER than mine has been so far. I might see you driving done the road. Have a good one, Jack

AR_Headhunter
October 27th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I had a 125'ish 8 point dogging does around me today so it's really starting to heat up here.

whitewolf1
October 28th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Reports I have heard from north central Ar are that they are really starting to get on thier feet.

Not doing much yet down to the SE.

solocamo50
October 28th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Looks like we have another wet front coming thru, they should be getting cranked up by Saturday, Halloween is the day I got my largest to date. I'll be after them all next week, will report in when I can. Keep info coming!

asa_low12
October 30th, 2009, 10:29 PM
sat til dark this evening but didn't get to take a scent shower after work. About 550 a doe calmly came out in the foodplot. About 615 here came the chase, well at least the doe end of it. She came hauling through the woods around the edge of the fp and cut back into it and started feeding. She had her tail up the whole time and looked as if she was maybe starting to become receptive?? She kept looking behind her the whole time and i'm pretty sure there was a buck in the thicket that maybe got wind and didn't come out.

jna329
October 31st, 2009, 05:14 PM
had a buddy call me and tell me he had called in a nice mature 9pt and a small forked horn this morning. he shot the nine. this deers neck was huge. he was definitely swelled up. my buddy said there was a bigger buck with a doe and he couldnt get him in range. so the rut is kicking. gonna try my luck in morning.

swampboss
November 1st, 2009, 09:43 PM
Things are heating up since the rain stopped. I will be after them this week. The moon is full again but they should still be starting to chase the does.
I saw 4 good bucks last night along the road with does.
If anyone sees any chasing post it up. You dont have to tell where. I always just say "in the woods " if I spot a big one. Just like fishing- '" where did you catch those " I just say "in the water"

Ouachitamtnman
November 2nd, 2009, 02:56 PM
I've been seeing bucks chasing since the first day of Muzzle Loader. Bucks are definately chasing in SW AR. I've seen some giants this year but haven't connected yet.

goatranch
November 2nd, 2009, 02:59 PM
All bucks I am seeing legal and non legal are by themselves but not chasing does. Know were back to warm and dry crunchy leaves.

I think it will be a week to 10 days to REALLY see some activity.

jna329
November 2nd, 2009, 04:03 PM
things are slow but they are starting. by the time gun seasons gets here i think things will be full swing. For my kids sake I hope it is this weekend. wouldnt it be cool to have first deer be a NICE buck. I have 3 on camera and hope my daughter gets one of them.

fishmannyj
November 2nd, 2009, 10:24 PM
things are slow but they are starting. by the time gun seasons gets here i think things will be full swing. For my kids sake I hope it is this weekend. wouldnt it be cool to have first deer be a NICE buck. I have 3 on camera and hope my daughter gets one of them.

Same here!! Been scouting some for my daughter this weekend! Have a nice 8 pt sighted for here and my dad just called with a big one sighted. Hope to get her on a buck this year she took her first doe last year and really pumped for this season. After her surgery in December hope to get her healed up strong and working with a bow till next October!

swampboss
November 7th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Rut is on! here in the SW part of the state. Saw a nice 8 pt chasing does. My son saw 2 giants grunting and chasing does. and could not get a shot in hunting thick cover. Most of the activity was around 9:00

bigdoglanyards
November 8th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Tons of rutting activity here in crawford county! Been seeing bucks chasing does and they seem to be moving all day too!

goatranch
November 9th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Finally seeing some good chasing and rubs showing up around bedding areas. Saturday should be GREAT!!

jna329
November 9th, 2009, 07:36 PM
bucks seem to be on prowl in nwa despite heat. also had a buddy tell me that he and his son watched a nice buck breed a doe this weekend during youth hunt. said it was to far to shoot for the kid.

IBBW
November 9th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I hunt around the Arkadelphia area, sw arkansas. I saw some chasing activity the first week of muzzleload season but nothing since. They are still fooling around with their scrapes some but not consistently. The does have dispersed but man it's slow. I see a few does and maybe a small buck on a good day. I saw a couple of dandy's the last few days of muzzleload season just about the time the heavy rains broke off. Almost makes me wish it would start raining again. I am off this week (can I pick a week or what :thumbs_do) I hope by the end of the week with the temps getting somewhat lower and the moon waning (39%) the activity might pick up.

AR_Headhunter
November 10th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Little brother killed a nice buck yesterday that was chasing a smaller buck away from a doe. I'll post pictures in the activity thread when I receive them.

AR_Headhunter
November 10th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Guys I went on a scouting mission today because my spot I thought was going to produce this year has been pretty dead. At 1500' on the side of a mountain I found more buck sign on a shelf than I've ever seen in a small area in my life! For 400 yards along this shelf there are scrapes, rubs, etc. every 50' or less! I also found a rub on a white oak sapling the size of my forearm snapped about knee high. That has to be a good deer to snap that tree! You guys might not hear much from me until Saturday. Thats the beginning of gun season & I'll likely be doing all day hunts on this shelf until then. Good luck to all you guys who are hunting!:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

hunt4meat
November 10th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Dad called this afternoon and said he say a "nice buck" chasing a doe this morning, no shot fired though. Oh yeah, he is up in the Ash Flat area.

befus
November 11th, 2009, 08:48 AM
A friend talked to a girl she knew who lives West of Fayetteville who, while driving to work yesterday, almost hit what she described as, "the biggest deer she has ever seen", when he chased a doe across the road near her rural home. A country girl, she knows a big deer when she sees one. It's on.

befus
November 11th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Guys I went on a scouting mission today because my spot I thought was going to produce this year has been pretty dead. At 1500' on the side of a mountain I found more buck sign on a shelf than I've ever seen in a small area in my life! For 400 yards along this shelf there are scrapes, rubs, etc. every 50' or less! I also found a rub on a white oak sapling the size of my forearm snapped about knee high. That has to be a good deer to snap that tree! You guys might not hear much from me until Saturday. Thats the beginning of gun season & I'll likely be doing all day hunts on this shelf until then. Good luck to all you guys who are hunting!:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Get after em buddy. :thumbs_upWatch your scent trail, those scrapes can go unattended pretty quickly if you are not careful (don't ask how I know this year).