PDA

View Full Version : Hunting the mountains !!!!!

poobear
November 8th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Ive spent the last week hunting the Ouachita mountain area. i spent most of my time in the wilderness areas in the forest. Ive never worked so hard in my life to see deer. One area I hunted was 2+ hrs into the wilderness area and I never found sign that screamed BIG bucks. I did see 2 bucks that were in the 140 range. The deer sign that i found was small rubs and scrapes. I saw very few deer deep in the forest. I actually saw more closer to the road. The biggest buck i saw crossed the road in front of me. The 2 biggest bucks I saw deep in the forest were with does. So, where do i look?? Top of the mountain, the shelf on the side of the mountain or the bottoms around the creeks ?? It was really pretty to look at but I AM VERY TIRED AND SORE. Any pointers?

AR_Headhunter
November 8th, 2009, 04:15 PM
In the Ozarks there is no acorn crop this year so your best bet is to find a trail into pasture areas.

knighten
November 8th, 2009, 06:17 PM
There isnt any acorns in nea either,well at least where i hunt.

jna329
November 9th, 2009, 08:43 PM
In the Ozarks there is no acorn crop this year so your best bet is to find a trail into pasture areas.

X'2 for sure - if no pasture areas close then find good trail with sign close to a bedding area. a good topo map will help you in finding these areas. seems to be tough all over this year. just not the normal movement. at least not where i have been.