PDA

View Full Version : ? about shoulder pain

xxclaro
November 13th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I've read that a lot of people have had or currently have shoulder pain issues. I've been having a strange shoulder pain issue for some time now, but I don't know if it's related to archery or not. I shot a lot more last year, and at a heavier weight, with no issue's. Now, I get a really deep burning ache in my shoulder joint for no apparent reason. It happens when I sleep on it, but often when I'm typing on the computer it jsut comes out of no where. Generally it lasts for only about 10-15 seconds, and then totally vanishes. It happens a few times a day, but there's nothing that seems to bring it on consistently. I can do hard work without issue, and then have it pop up when I'm just walking along. Does this sound like something anyone else here has had? Is it somehow related to shooting my bow, and if so, what should I do?

clee
November 13th, 2009, 10:39 PM
The shoulder is a very complex area of the body. I had a torn rotator cuff and labrum and it was very weird in that it hurt sometimes and at others it didn't. I would suggest that you find the best sports dr. in your area and make an appointment. He will probably take xrays and an MRI and then you will know for sure. That is the only way to truly tell if something is wrong. Good luck.

hansel
November 13th, 2009, 10:39 PM
I was having a some shoulder issues because I was being macho at work:cool: took a long time for it to feel better, my pain was mostly at night when I'd sleep on it wrong, or move my arm the wrong way. If you have some real concern then I'd go see the doc;)

Shouldernuke!
November 13th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Hard core archers will not want to hear this but it is a medical fact that the reapeated use or abuse of any joint will over time have problems in your case it is likely rotator cuff tendonitis of a torn rotor cuff .

This is the natural progression of the archer and the more poundage you shoot in combonation with getting older the more likely you will encounter problems down the road .This is one of the top reasons even avid archers and bowhunters eventually give it up .

Go to your doctor and fix this now before it ends your archery the longer you put this off the more likely you will seriously hurt your shoulder. Surgery is no fun but then agin loseing most of the use of an arm is not either.:smile:

BOE_Hunter
November 13th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Have a doctor check it out. Depending on which part of the shoulder the pain is in, it could be anything from a torn labrum to a stretched nerve.

bionicflite
November 14th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Having learn lots form the experienced bowhunters on this site as this is my first year,I haven't heard of too many sides of experience form other sports take on the comon rotor cuff injuries this sport is prone to.

Speaking from limited experience with the sport I had aggrivated and old rotor injury due to poor form.After coming to grips with what body parts were being stressed I fortified my shoulder work outs to adapt to what we experience.
As pulleys offer a more constant tension and ease the full range of movement(no sudden load on/off like free weights)understanding the three diferent heads of the shoulder in addition to a high mineral supplement intake.

Stretching by hanging will ensure alignment and flexibility is addressed.

Bits and pieces from being an ex pro Thai boxer and no stranger to heavy bag work outs...being aware of ones rotor cuff is almost second nature.

Listen to your body and the saying "you get out of your training what you put into it" is the gospel truth.

Thinking the injury will just go away if you drop your weight ie 60 lbs from 70lbs is only part of the solution.

Thats persuming one warms up with a few basic stretches before climbing up to your stand...basics...nothing fancy here.

Mammal
November 14th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Try drawing lower and coming up to your anchor point. I have AC joint issues and this helps me a lot. Drawing straight back to your anchor, with your elbow high, puts a lot of stress on your AC joint. Good luck.

5MilesBack
November 14th, 2009, 10:21 AM
It happens when I sleep on it, but often it jsut comes out of no where. Generally it lasts for only about 10-15 seconds, and then totally vanishes. I can do hard work without issue, and then have it pop up when I'm just walking along. Does this sound like something anyone else here has had?

Yep, that's exactly what I have been experiencing the last month. I posted a similar thread a few weeks ago. I can shoot my bows without any pain or discomfort whatsoever, chop wood, do hard work, and nothing. Then just standing up or something and BAM........there it is. Feels like my arm is going to fall off. It's always worse (or triggers the spot) when I move my right arm (bow arm) up and across my body. Happens while I sleep because I tend to sleep on my stomach with my arm tucked across my chest. I haven't shot in a week, and it seems to have gotten better, but every now and then........BAM, there it is. I'd like to start lifting again but am a little hesitant at this point. And going to the doctor...........well, uhhhhhhh.......you know.........I'm a guy.

Anakedman
November 14th, 2009, 10:48 AM
my shoulder was hurting this spring. I started doing some shoulder exercises, there is a video on you-tube. You might want to post this in the health/injury forum or do a search.

But what I did was to lower my dw to 60 from 68 (helped but pain didn't go away). Finally I just stopped shooting for about 1-2 months pain went away. I slowly I mean slowly started to shoot again. would shoot about a dozen arrows or until my shoulder hurt every day. Before and after I would shoot I would stretch and warm up/cool down. My shoulder isn't 100%. But i could shoot around 1-hr strait with no pain and can sleep on it.

Just some thoughts from a nakedperson

completepassthru
November 14th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I have had shoulder pain for years. I can tell you with pretty much certainty that the pain is being caused in part due to shooting. But their is probably an underlying problem that initially caused the problem. Not all shoulder pain originates in the shoulder.

I have a deteriorating AC joint and will progressively get worse over time. They cannot tell me how much worse or how fast. One major cause of my shoulder pain comes from a disc in my neck. Neck problems can be felt in the shoulder and arm making you think it is the shoulder when it is the neck. Have it checked out. I would suggest reducing the number of arrows you shoot and the number of times you shoot per week. We do not need to shoot hundreds of arrows daily to shoot well. Last piece of advice is to reduce poundage. You probably do not want to hear that but it will more than likely help and actually make shooting more enjoyable. Todays bows have more than enough energy to kill anything you want to shoot at 50-60#.

coloradodave
November 14th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Yep, that's exactly what I have been experiencing the last month. I posted a similar thread a few weeks ago. I can shoot my bows without any pain or discomfort whatsoever, chop wood, do hard work, and nothing. Then just standing up or something and BAM........there it is. Feels like my arm is going to fall off. It's always worse (or triggers the spot) when I move my right arm (bow arm) up and across my body. Happens while I sleep because I tend to sleep on my stomach with my arm tucked across my chest. I haven't shot in a week, and it seems to have gotten better, but every now and then........BAM, there it is. I'd like to start lifting again but am a little hesitant at this point. And going to the doctor...........well, uhhhhhhh.......you know.........I'm a guy.

X1 I have been this way for a about a year. Some days, no pain.

Stanley
November 14th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Go to the doc.