PDA

View Full Version : Buying property far from home

Line cutter775
November 15th, 2009, 08:31 AM
It has been a long time passion of mine to own property, hunting property to be exact. I have researched and came up with ILL. Here in the east it is just too expencive. I am looking for experiances/stories wether they are good or bad owning land far from home....again, im in N.J. looking to buy in Illinois.

chasemukluk
November 15th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Become friends with a neighbor or two. Then you always have someone to watch over the property when you are not there. Maybe even let them hunt it when you are not in town.

RecordKeeper
November 15th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I love my farm and would do it all over again for sure.

That said, here's my latest bad experience: http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1056138390#po st1056138390

WV Hunter
November 15th, 2009, 09:08 AM
For me personally, I'd really think long and hard about buying land that far away. Your time will be limited, and you will basically have zero control over it while you are gone. Its a big investment for that. I personally would look at leasing land to hunt on rather than buying it - that far away. If its withing an hour or two...different story, you have more options and more control. Leasing will also save you thousands per year for sure vs. buying.

Line cutter775
November 15th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I love my farm and would do it all over again for sure.

That said, here's my latest bad experience: http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1056138390#po st1056138390

is it safe to assume your being sarcastic??? ;)

Line cutter775
November 15th, 2009, 10:20 AM
For me personally, I'd really think long and hard about buying land that far away. Your time will be limited, and you will basically have zero control over it while you are gone. Its a big investment for that. I personally would look at leasing land to hunt on rather than buying it - that far away. If its withing an hour or two...different story, you have more options and more control. Leasing will also save you thousands per year for sure vs. buying.

I have also thought about purchasing a small home nearby some property i have hunted before with a semi guided outfitter and start from there. Establish myself and become farmiliar with the locals, make friends if you will

WV Hunter
November 15th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I have also thought about purchasing a small home nearby some property i have hunted before with a semi guided outfitter and start from there. Establish myself and become farmiliar with the locals, make friends if you will

Thats probably a much better route to go if you are gonna buy. A non-res (MIA) landowner just invites trouble and hassle these days, unfortunately. I bought my land (that I live on) and still had to deal with the previous hunters for a couple years...and I'm here 24/7. People seem to think that once they have permission, its life-long - regardless of who owns it. Good luck with your search...at least you're looking in the right area :D

jmcafee
November 15th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I'm not that far a-way, about 1.5 hours. I bought ground in Illinois and never had a issue with the neighbors, crack heads are different but you can get them anywhere. Get to know your neighbors and if asked, let them run their coon dogs accross your land after the deer season.

ILBowhunter22
November 15th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I hunt private property up in Wisconsin but thats 6 hours away and I feel its still too far! I can only hunt every other weekend and my preseason scouting/hanging time is minimum. I really want something closer to me. Within a half hour to an hour would be perfect.

liberty6
November 15th, 2009, 05:54 PM
too far away. Cannot properly manage from that distance. Most folks want to be good neighbors but you can play that card for only so long. Look for something within 3 hours.