PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin - The Perfect Storm

innate123
November 15th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Well, this year has been the year of all years so far - lol. If you didn't shoot your buck early on this year, you certainly set yourself up for a potentially bad hunt.

Too Wet - Too Warm - Too Windy - Too Much Standing Corn - Too Many Yotes and...Too Many Idiots Running Our DNR.

The does are no where to be seen right now. I have been fortunate to hunt private land and take 5 nice bucks over the past 8 years - all 3.5 years old or better. This year, I have barely even seen a shooter while hunting about as hard as I ever have.

Hands down, I think the "RUT" was almost all nocturnal this year due to the heat. Others say it is just starting in MN and WI, but I think we got hit too hard by the warmth and missed the best parts of the rut.

Just had to whine a bit as I'm currently in that bowhunter burnout mode after not seeing a single deer the last 4 sits. That is even with slightly cool and better weather.

JUST ONE OF THOSE YEARS - LOL.

t

DMAX-HD
November 15th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Just posted this:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1064083

Yea fewer does this year where I am too. Agree with all your comments. I hunt private property as well.

edexpress21
November 15th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I hear ya man! I actually slept in on this beautiful morning because I too am burning out. I've never hunted harder in my life either, and have only seen 4 bucks since early October. When I call my friends around the state, they have the same stories. They are either nocturnal, or just not there anymore. I'm also hunting private property.

jdamet
November 15th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I agree, the warm weather is messing it up a little, but come on, adapt and overcome! Its a little harder this year, but I am sure you guys know some tricks that you havent tried yet. I have a few things up my sleave, but I am saving them for the last 2 days before the orange army invasion.
The deer have to go somewhere during the day. Get out there and find them!

justanotherbuck
November 15th, 2009, 11:34 AM
the best part of the rut was last weekend,we are on the swingdown already,the young ones are one the move now

DMAX-HD
November 15th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I hear ya man! I actually slept in on this beautiful morning because I too am burning out. I've never hunted harder in my life either, and have only seen 4 bucks since early October. When I call my friends around the state, they have the same stories. They are either nocturnal, or just not there anymore. I'm also hunting private property.
Ironically I slept in as well first day since the 30th. Its just shut down and next weekend the orange army takes over. Feeling a little burned out myself. Sitting this afternoon and then back to work tomorrow That will be rough. Luckily go a couple does early in the season so there is some meat in the freezer. Passed on a lot of dinks this year. O well still have second season.

innate123
November 15th, 2009, 11:36 AM

LOL - I hit the "snooze" button from 4:20 a.m. until 5:15 a.m. today. It was just TOO beautiful NOT to hunt this a.m. 22 degrees and no wind. Got set up in stand without spooking a deer (go figure - lol) by shooting light. Sat till 9 a.m. and called it a morning. Nothing going on at all.

My buddy was in SE MN this whole week, 40 hours in stand and saw a total of 9 deer. This is a gorgeous 500 acre property. He got up and walked today and did kick up some deer. His opinion is that they are all bedded before first light and are not moving due to no real need for caloric intake.

t

DMAX-HD
November 15th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I agree, the warm weather is messing it up a little, but come on, adapt and overcome! Its a little harder this year, but I am sure you guys know some tricks that you havent tried yet. I have a few things up my sleave, but I am saving them for the last 2 days before the orange army invasion.

What tricks would you recommend getting a buck up on a warm day next to a hot doe?

easyeriq
November 15th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I haven't seen anything all season until this morning. Saw a doe and shortly after a small buck chasing. Tried calling, but he didn't even slow down. They were about 80yards away. Right in my range:wink:

justanotherbuck
November 15th, 2009, 11:40 AM
from friday to sunday night i had 14 different bucks come thru that i could actually count points, not a think for a week then this morning seen my first buck in a week,ive been in the woods every day since the opener,nocturnal corn rats that all i have to say,,,,very fustrating,im glad i pounded down a few does opening morning

ACooper1983
November 15th, 2009, 11:40 AM
What tricks would you recommend getting a buck up on a warm day next to a hot doe?\

sitting a watering hole in a secluded area, prefferably close to bedding in mid day.

justanotherbuck
November 15th, 2009, 11:45 AM
water hole is being used at night we have a nice one,dad sits on it every day,nothing during day light hours

badluckmike
November 15th, 2009, 11:52 AM
We hunted north of Waupaca of private land and had a decent year. Sightings where nowhere near what they where 4-5 years ago, but a lot better than the last few years. saw many yearling bucks and a few shooters. My son and I both got 10 pointers. Mine green, gross score 142", my sons 123". Saw adult doe also , something that has been missing the last few years. Hope this is a sign of the return of the good hunting we had pre E.A.B.

PY Bucks
November 15th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Well, this year has been the year of all years so far - lol. If you didn't shoot your buck early on this year, you certainly set yourself up for a potentially bad hunt.

Too Wet - Too Warm - Too Windy - Too Much Standing Corn - Too Many Yotes and...Too Many Idiots Running Our DNR.

The does are no where to be seen right now. I have been fortunate to hunt private land and take 5 nice bucks over the past 8 years - all 3.5 years old or better. This year, I have barely even seen a shooter while hunting about as hard as I ever have.

Hands down, I think the "RUT" was almost all nocturnal this year due to the heat. Others say it is just starting in MN and WI, but I think we got hit too hard by the warmth and missed the best parts of the rut.

Just had to whine a bit as I'm currently in that bowhunter burnout mode after not seeing a single deer the last 4 sits. That is even with slightly cool and better weather.

JUST ONE OF THOSE YEARS - LOL.

t

You pretty much summed up my season right there! I passed a really good one on Oct 25, thinking the best time was yet to come, ande well here i sit. Windy and Warm every weekend after that point. Really wish i would have taken that shot.:o

jdamet
November 15th, 2009, 12:35 PM
What tricks would you recommend getting a buck up on a warm day next to a hot doe?

Deer are going to move around. They may not move far, but they don't lay in the same spot all day. I cant tell you what to do, you have to assess the situation and the land and go from there.
I have a bedding area that is in a valley, wind is always swirling around down there. I have not hunted it, but all the pics on the rail cam indicate that's where they are heading. If I have to, I will set up a stand REAL close and hunt it in the last few days of the regular season. I might get winded, but i will take that chance if i have to.
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

daver9
November 15th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Went back to work on Thursday and was yesterday morning/afternoon with my boy to celebrate his 12th birthday. Wish I could say it was a great day for him, but you know the story.

Lockdown appears to be in my neighborhood. We saw small 8 in the morning, and not a thing in the afternoon.

I hunted this a.m. and saw the 10 I missed on Wednesday with a doe...she wasn't diggin it, but wasn't running away either. Maybe sneak back in this afternoon and see if he is still around. Saw another smaller 10 that needs a couple years cruising right at 10:00.

Lunch and football time, then back to the woods.

jjcard41
November 15th, 2009, 01:27 PM

I think both the slick trick standards and mags are very good broadheads:p:p:D:D LOL jk

As to what would bring a buck in during daylight....I have no idea because I've been trying everything myself and nothing seems to be working. Seems they are all waiting for the darkness to move in.

Eyeguards
November 15th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I shot a doe last year for my 2009 "earn a buck" sticker and it is a good thing that I did, because according to my log book I have only seen 5 does all season and none of them were even close to being in shooting range. I have not seen a doe now in over a month. I have seen 3 bucks so far for the first two weeks of November and none of them were with does. I did manage to shoot a nice 2 1/2 year old in October, but I have been hunting hard for a doe for my 2010 sticker and I can't find one.

I have never hunted over bait before and it is illegal in my area, but I am about ready to put a bird feeder in the back yard, fill it with sunflower seeds and corn and hope a doe comes in to that in December! LOL

jawmarq
November 15th, 2009, 01:37 PM
saw a nubbin last night. and a fork chasing a doe on the drive home. woods seem lifeless compared to normal.

innate123
November 15th, 2009, 02:11 PM

Hmm..Between the three of us, we have 27 stands on this 400+ acre property. It is basically 2 large ridge fingers surrounded by ag and a little crp.

I have hunted nearly every stand and have sat in the corn for at least 8 - 10 hunts. I have even hunted the 10 acre patch of woods that is located by the highway. The sign is there, but the deer are NOT moving.

I think someone said "nocturnal corn rats," and that is a great description. Deer were definitely moving around much more prior to warm weather and the youth and T zone hunts.

t

jdamet
November 15th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Just trying to help.

justanotherbuck
November 15th, 2009, 02:21 PM
i will for sure be hunting the second season,what really has my goat the farmers that have ag tags still have there corn and beans on the fields,i think there doing it on purpose so they can have there ag tags for next year,jan or feb. is the dead line for the up coming year

lefty o
November 15th, 2009, 02:24 PM
it is called HUNTING for a reason. yep, the DNR is screwed up, but the rest of it is HUNTING!

innate123
November 15th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Just trying to help.

LOL - not putting you down at all. Just saying that I have been "out-of-the-box" for about two weeks now.

It is hunting for sure, and I think three of my nicest bucks where when I was at my wits end.

It is just so odd to see MINIMAL deer. I only shoot 3.5's, so I am used to being patient. But part of the enjoyment of hunting is seeing deer as well.

I still think it is 3 parts warm weather, 5 parts standing corn, and 2 parts our silly DNR and their inaccurate "quota" goals.

t

One eye
November 15th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Are you sure you guys didn't take a wrong turn and cross into MICHIGAN??? ;);)
Dan

innate123
November 15th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Our new DNR slogan...

Wisconsin....THE NEW MICHIGAN! lol

All kidding aside, I don't know much about Michigan hunting. I see you are alluding it isn't too hot though.

t

jawmarq
November 15th, 2009, 07:46 PM
tonight when i went out i had action. the most i've had this season in fact. around 4 i had a spike chase a young doe near me. the spike stuck around for about 20 min. then at about 445 a doe with two fawns came out and stayed til dark. they went in the woods for a bit, i lowered my bow, then they came back out. along with another doe, a fork, and a big 6. things seemed to have changed.

One eye
November 15th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Our new DNR slogan...

Wisconsin....THE NEW MICHIGAN! lol

All kidding aside, I don't know much about Michigan hunting. I see you are alluding it isn't too hot though.

t

We have a lot of the same "management strategies" going on here that you guys have described. In fact, I believe our previous DNR Director (when this crap started) came from Wisconsin DNR.

Our current strategy is "kill every deer" you can and generate as much license sales as you can get away with.

Good luck over there and DO NOT follow our lead.
Dan

sharkred7
November 15th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Be patient now, I think they are locked up with does rigth now. I agree they have been more nocturnal this year than in past. I also believe that once the majority of the does are bred the big ones will be running HARD for a few days trying to catch the last does not yet bred. Be in the woods for those magical few days and you could salvage your season:thumbs_up

A way to stay positive and force yourself out of bed any way:D

John

B&C Bones
November 15th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Just posted this:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1064083

Yea fewer does this year where I am too. Agree with all your comments. I hunt private property as well.

The moon guide is sayin we are in lock down right now and as far as I can tell with out deer it is spot on. However it says the second cruising period will be the best of the year:thumbs_up

highview72
November 15th, 2009, 08:26 PM
When is the second chase supposed to start? For me the peak seemed to be about the 8th - 11th so would I add 28 days?

LarryM
November 15th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Saw small bucks all season so far near Jump River. Took a baldie yesterday for the freezer since the the orange army heads out out next Saturday to beat the woods. I think I'll be taking a break until December.

bloodtrail1
November 15th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I dont know...............where I hunt the rut was doing just fine this weekend!
My Son and I both seen wall hanger bucks chasing does and the deer were moving all day long on Saturday. I wish I could hunt a few more days this week....but have to work!

Airman
November 15th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I agree that with the warm weather the best part of the rut happened at night. Last weekend after having my hunt ruined on public land, I drove home early and I saw the most deers I have seen out in the fields since I could remember. I counted 5 bucks crossing the road on the way home and loads of does. Today I saw a huge 10 locked down with a doe in the city. Well, its discouraging, but you can't kill anything if you don't try.

lonemilker
November 15th, 2009, 11:50 PM
yeah no luck in pa either, haven't seen anything the past week.

bonecollecting
November 15th, 2009, 11:56 PM
a cousin just returned from WN and bagged a 180" monster!!!!!!!!!! maybe a nighttime rut but he lcuked out... went to the same stand for 8 days last year and never saw a single deer.. i think the second day and he filled out!

Matches
November 16th, 2009, 12:04 AM
I must be hunting a different Wisconsin than the rest of you fellas.........

I've seen more deer this year than I ever have. I have taken 7 does and a 133" 8 pointer with my bow already this year. The buck was a mature deer that was aged at 4 1/2.

I went out this morning to try and get another doe. Saw 15 antlerless, and 7 or 8 bucks. 1 was a dandy 10 point, probably pushing 160". I usually don't see 20+ deer everyday, but there are very few days that I don't see at least 10 deer.

This is on private land in Southern Trempealeau County.

Eyeguards
November 16th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I must be hunting a different Wisconsin than the rest of you fellas.........

I've seen more deer this year than I ever have. I have taken 7 does and a 133" 8 pointer with my bow already this year. The buck was a mature deer that was aged at 4 1/2.

I went out this morning to try and get another doe. Saw 15 antlerless, and 7 or 8 bucks. 1 was a dandy 10 point, probably pushing 160". I usually don't see 20+ deer everyday, but there are very few days that I don't see at least 10 deer.

This is on private land in Southern Trempealeau County.

I don't doubt at all that areas like yours exist in this state. In fact I believe that areas like this contribute greatly to the DNR's crazy heard estimates. My theory is that these areas are largely private land and hunter density is extreemly low so even if everyone is shooting does like you, there are so few hunters that overall there is not much impact on the population.

I hunt 300 acres. 150 acres is field and 150 is woods, marsh and thickets. The deer live in the woods, marshes and thickets and feed in the fields. This area is broken up into 5 different properties. Between both bow and gun season there are 24 guys that hunt this entire area. I am familiar with almost all of the hunters and I know that 2 years in a row back in 2003 and 2004 there were approximately 23 and 20 deer harvested respectively from this area. That's 43 deer taken out of 150 acres of habitat.

Conversely I know of a guy who leases 240 acres in Buffalo county. About 50 acres of feild and the rest is wooded. He hunts THE ENTIRE PROPERTY BY HIMSELF! Most people in this state do not have access to land like this. That is why some areas still have tons of deer. Even if he shoots 5 deer off of that property he still has a ton of deer left for next year. And by the way several of the properties around are very similar in hunter density and deer management. These guys will likely never have to worry about not seeing deer, meanwhile the rest of us are being forced to shoot a doe for every buck and when you have 25 guys hunting all of these properties that is alot does to kill. I have only 7 deer on these properties all year and the public land is so bad I won't even consider it. I hope other people have better luck than me, but for now I have to get back and try and kill yet another doe so I can try for a buck next year, that is unless I just take up duck hunting instead.

diamond-hunter
November 16th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Wow, I thought I was the only one getting burned out. I actually didn't hunt at all yesterday or the afternoon before that. I never thought I would get sick of it, but after countless long hours in stand with few deer who wouldn't get sick of it. I also hunt private lands. This is by far the worst year I have seen bowhunting. I just don't see anything moving. One of my favorite stands has veiws of 400 plus yards in a few directions(sitting on a 4 way field crossing tree line). Usually I always at least see deer, even if many hundred yards away. If I at least see deer in a day I am happy. This year I have sat many times without even seeing deer at a distance. It is getting pretty depressing. I can see how WI is going to lose hunters if this crap keeps up.

DMAX-HD
November 16th, 2009, 08:07 AM
The moon guide is sayin we are in lock down right now and as far as I can tell with out deer it is spot on. However it says the second cruising period will be the best of the year:thumbs_up

Yea I'm in complete lock-down by me. Last 4 days of hunting have been the worst all season. Pretty common to go from the best time of year to the worst almost over-night.

When Is the 2nd running spose to happen?

Boonie_Hunter
November 16th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Saw one doe this weekend and only the 7th deer total this year (been out 10 times now). Oh well, I've always liked late season better. Hopefully theres snow though.

innate123
November 16th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Saw a big 10 cruising a field edge on my way to work this morning so maybe the lock down is ending. I think the majority of the rut was at night during the warm spell as some dandy's were shot starting the last week in October chasing does. I'm hoping the peak breeding is nearly ended now.

At least by Tues and Thurs, my last two opportunities to hunt before gun season - lol.

Matches,

You must be real close to me as the crow flys. I am just north of centerville and our whole area has been slow. One of my buddies who hunts daylight till dusk for two weeks straight and usually shoots 140+ or better over the past 5 years had seen minimal deer. He ended up settling for a 120" eight pointer (maybe a little more) last week during his last day of vacation.

Do you have a lot of nice food plots going? Water? It is the one thing we are going to address next year on our lease.

t