PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on NW Ark...archery and bowhunting?

JuniorsOutdoor
November 17th, 2009, 04:12 PM
There is a possibility I might be moving to NW Arkansas to the Fayetteville/Springdale area. I would love to hear from you all about the quality of hunting in the area and I would also like to hear about any archery clubs or shops. Right now I live in South Florida and we can shoot year round, but the hunting sucks. Are there regularly scheduled shoots or state tournaments or a 3d circuit? Also, how easy is it to get licensing and public access into Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas to hunt? Sorry for so many questions.

jna329
November 18th, 2009, 01:16 PM
the hunting in this area is not as good as some parts of the state, but that is not saying it is bad. IMO the hunting in this area is pretty good. there is several wma's that are close and produce nice deer, turkey, and the occasional hog, etc. As for ok, mo, and kansas- im not sure. I believe that in okla. you just need a non-resident license and missouri I think you just have to buy tags for what you are hunting. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
As for shops in the area. there are a few good shops. You just have to check them out and form your own opinion. There is the occasional 3-d shoot and a few spot leagues with word from a couple shops of more to come. If you make the move give me a shout when you get settled and I will try to help you find your way around the area and get you on some of the public land that is close. I suggest going to www.agfc.com and checking it out. you can get maps of the wma's and some pretty decent info.

ARBowHuntr
November 18th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I second everything JNA said, agfc.com usually has some good maps and information on the local WMA's. I haven't hunted OK or Kansas, but Missouri is as easy as buying the $225 non resident archery license and tags. If you have any questions feel free to ask away. Alot of good guys from that area on here.

goatranch
November 18th, 2009, 01:55 PM
There are no monsters here unless you hunt the river delta in far eastern part of the state. Hard to say...there are decent shooter bucks around you just have to find them before someone shoots them off the road.

JuniorsOutdoor
November 18th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks guys. There is a possibility I'm moving to the Fayetteville/Springdale area so I wanted to check the hunting prospects out. I'm not looking for booners, all though they would be nice, I'm just looking for the opportunity to see deer consistently. Can any of you tell me about the local competition scene? 3D, NFAA, clubs, etc.

JuniorsOutdoor
November 18th, 2009, 08:37 PM
the hunting in this area is not as good as some parts of the state, but that is not saying it is bad. IMO the hunting in this area is pretty good. there is several wma's that are close and produce nice deer, turkey, and the occasional hog, etc. As for ok, mo, and kansas- im not sure. I believe that in okla. you just need a non-resident license and missouri I think you just have to buy tags for what you are hunting. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
As for shops in the area. there are a few good shops. You just have to check them out and form your own opinion. There is the occasional 3-d shoot and a few spot leagues with word from a couple shops of more to come. If you make the move give me a shout when you get settled and I will try to help you find your way around the area and get you on some of the public land that is close. I suggest going to www.agfc.com and checking it out. you can get maps of the wma's and some pretty decent info.
Thanks. If I move, I may take you up on the offer. Nothing like advice from the locals!

Donnie Slinger
November 18th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Here around Russellville there is good hunting nice racks. 2 great bow shops. One area to hunt is Holla Bend Wildlife Refuge it is bowhunt only on the Arkansas River hard to hunt but worth it.

Cheetahwheelie
December 16th, 2009, 10:25 PM
There are thousand's of basically bow only WMA's in NWA. Wedington, Hobbs and Madison County are all big and have good deer. All have very short draw seasons for muzzleloader and gun, but are open the rest of the season to bow only. Wedington's bow season closes Nov. 30, but has some pretty nice bucks. Actually, all 3 do.

AR_Headhunter
December 22nd, 2009, 06:47 PM
Northwest Arkansas has several pockets of very nice deer. What you want will determine where you go. There are several places around Arkansas that produce huge deer by any standards. If your looking for a guided hunt then check out Swamp Buck outfitters, no high fence & some great deer. As far as do it yourself hunts then you have a vast area of public land to check out. Most of the best bucks that come off public land in Arkansas are not common knowledge so you will have to do your homework. Good luck!

skeeter1371
October 18th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Has anyone heard anything about Fayetteville, AR allowing bow hunting in the city limits?