PDA

View Full Version : A Morning I will Never Forget

shott
November 21st, 2009, 01:25 PM
Woke up this morning about 5:00am had plans to head to the stand. We have two small Rat Terriers(Mollie 9yr old and Sadie 6 yr old) that are like our kids. I let them out the front door to do their business every morning, this morning was like every other. Open the door, let them out and then let them back in a few minutes later, they know the drill. Their usually sitting at the door waiting, but this morning when I opened the door Sadie was on the porch freaking out and when I looked out I saw a sight that I will never forget. A Coyote had Mollie trotting off with her. He had her around the neck and she was just dangling from it's mouth. I took off across the yard yelling as loud as I could chasing it. Chased him for about 30 yards yelling and to my suprise he dropped her. I scooped her up not knowing if she was alive or dead, but when I got her in my arms she started wimpering and I thought well this is a good sign...Thank You Dear Lord. Our good friend is a vet so called him and he met me up at his office. She had four deep puncture wounds around her throat and one of her eyes is alittle swollen. She is a little sore right now but is going to be alright. I was freaked out to say the least...she is my baby, sleeps between my wife and I everynight, she "IS" my best friend and the best dog I have ever owned! I have a BIG soft spot in my heart for her.
What is crazy is that we don't live out in the sticks, we live about a block from a wooded area on the edge of town. Just wanted to pass along the story of my morning. The rest of you dog lovers....that have a best friend like mine...love on that pooch alittle more everyday...because you just never know! Got to go before this big man starts to tear up.....again! Man Card In Check!!!!!

asa1485
November 21st, 2009, 01:31 PM
Man that was close. It is funny how we grow to love our animals. I know I love mine. Glad it turned out ok.

Big Country
November 21st, 2009, 01:35 PM
Dang man!

Glad your dog is gonna be OK.:smile:

switchbackjack
November 21st, 2009, 01:36 PM
glad your dog is ok nice save...time to go predator hunting...

Don Beaver
November 21st, 2009, 01:38 PM
Coyotes are getting out of hand everywhere... not enough people hunting them, while they're multiplying and their habitat is shrinking. We all need to do our part and harvest them whenever an opportunity presents itself.

pTac
November 21st, 2009, 01:41 PM

Amen brother!

RonnieB54
November 21st, 2009, 01:44 PM
That is a scary feeling watching your dog get carried off by another animal. Sometimes it makes you wonder how the Lord works. Glad it worked out for you and Mollie.

SteveID
November 21st, 2009, 01:52 PM
Sounds like you might need to take care of ol' Wiley Coyote. Glad you were able to get your dog back.

shott
November 21st, 2009, 02:01 PM
Yep that was the last time they will go out alone.....ol'dad will be locked and loaded and standing guard from now on!!

brandon_
November 21st, 2009, 02:05 PM
Glad your dog's ok! I am waaaaaaay too attached to my dog. Good to see I'm not the only one.

I'd have to agree though...time for a red light and a .243.

bama bow nut
November 21st, 2009, 02:08 PM
glad to hear your dog is ok i know what you must have felt i have always loved my pets as though they were my children

STUDENT-ARCHER
November 21st, 2009, 02:10 PM
a dog eat dog world out there!

Epinepherine
November 21st, 2009, 02:22 PM
Woke up this morning about 5:00am had plans to head to the stand. We have two small Rat Terriers(Mollie 9yr old and Sadie 6 yr old) that are like our kids. I let them out the front door to do their business every morning, this morning was like every other. Open the door, let them out and then let them back in a few minutes later, they know the drill. Their usually sitting at the door waiting, but this morning when I opened the door Sadie was on the porch freaking out and when I looked out I saw a sight that I will never forget. A Coyote had Mollie trotting off with her. He had her around the neck and she was just dangling from it's mouth. I took off across the yard yelling as loud as I could chasing it. Chased him for about 30 yards yelling and to my suprise he dropped her. I scooped her up not knowing if she was alive or dead, but when I got her in my arms she started wimpering and I thought well this is a good sign...Thank You Dear Lord. Our good friend is a vet so called him and he met me up at his office. She had four deep puncture wounds around her throat and one of her eyes is alittle swollen. She is a little sore right now but is going to be alright. I was freaked out to say the least...she is my baby, sleeps between my wife and I everynight, she "IS" my best friend and the best dog I have ever owned! I have a BIG soft spot in my heart for her.
What is crazy is that we don't live out in the sticks, we live about a block from a wooded area on the edge of town. Just wanted to pass along the story of my morning. The rest of you dog lovers....that have a best friend like mine...love on that pooch alittle more everyday...because you just never know! Got to go before this big man starts to tear up.....again! Man Card In Check!!!!!

I bet you were. Just imagine how freaked out poor Mollie was!

A farm I hunt in Noble County, Ohio that is owned by a little old lady, whose husband passed away about 7-8 yrs ago. She had a little toy sheltie that she adored and I was pretty fond of myself. The little guy would come down to my truck during a lunch break from the stand and kinda wait for food (I say wait and not beg, because I literally fed this guy the good stuff and lots of it! He always knew it was coming!). Anyway, I knock on her door the other day to say hello and give a couple of homemade pies and she tells me, with tears in her eyes, that her son John (who stops over at mom's house daily to feed the cattle and hang out with mom) found her little dog behind the hay-bales with a snapped neck that morning, clearly and obviously from 'yotes. The poor little guy :cry:

I used to give 'yotes a pass. I figured they were just doing & being what God intended for them to do & be. Not any longer though. It's open season on them. :angry:

AVENSTOKE
November 21st, 2009, 02:28 PM
Glad she is ok. I have a Great Pyrenees who hates Coyotes if you want to borrow her. She is 6 months old and weighs about 90 lbs.

baldbear2009
November 21st, 2009, 02:33 PM
Well, if you wasn't Mollie's hero before you are NOW !
So glad you got to her in time--they are so precious to us !

spike camp
November 21st, 2009, 02:55 PM
i took my vizsla to the vet last week and the main vet just got finished with an emergency surgery.
a 45 pound cattle dog was dissembled by 2-3 coyotes...pretty nasty but the dog made it.
i have a lot of mountain lions and coyotes around my house..i used to worry mostly about the cats but i guess i should be concerned about both.
my vizsla hates the coyotes and chases them off every chance he gets.

carybcom
November 21st, 2009, 03:01 PM
:set1_applaud:

Typically I only shoot what I'm going to eat. However, in this case I would hesitate in shooting my 100 grain Monotech through this predators lungs :wolf:. Glad the dog is ok :set1_applaud:.

marku
November 21st, 2009, 03:13 PM
Its time to get the AR-15 out eh?:D Wack em and stack em. Coyotes aint good for anything:thumbs_do

sawtoothscream
November 21st, 2009, 03:20 PM
glad you got the dog back. i swear if i saw my dog getting attacked by a yote i would go on a yote killing spree. if one got my sisters yorkie. well he can have it. might throw the yote a milk bone for a job well done:D j/k. although i hate that yappy rat dog i cant wish it that fate.

again happy you got her back. now grab your gun and start shooting them left and right

ITapeIt
November 21st, 2009, 03:24 PM
Lucky dog......
In my neck of the world, we hear about that type of adventure just about everyday, even in the city. Only most don't turn out as yours did.

d_toll85
November 21st, 2009, 03:43 PM
I missed a yote this morning. Looked up and seen him about 100 yrds off, did a little sucking sound and here he came. Got in to about 35 yrds and shot right over his back. Glad everything turned out Okay on your end.
Posted via Mobile Device

sjb3
November 21st, 2009, 04:01 PM
I have a 3 yr old JRT ( Mollie also) who is afraid of nothing...... thats the problem. If its moving shes after it, loves squirrel hunting and I am always worried about coyotes cause she thinks she can whip anything. Also worried about skunks:pukey:

sawtoothscream
November 21st, 2009, 04:06 PM
i got a story with a dog and yote with a good ending. my cousins friend let out his german shepard one night and they hard screaming and what not. they opened the door and the german shepard had blood all over its face they walked over to a yote with its head almost riped off its body.:thumbs_up good doggy:D

maybe you should buy them a brother???

acridlon
November 21st, 2009, 04:07 PM
Glad to hear the dog is fine.. Crazy lucky you opened the door when you did...

HCgolfer
November 21st, 2009, 04:08 PM
I missed a yote this morning. Looked up and seen him about 100 yrds off, did a little sucking sound and here he came. Got in to about 35 yrds and shot right over his back. Glad everything turned out Okay on your end.
Posted via Mobile Device

One of my friends and I have been wanting to get into coyote hunting for a while, figured it would be something to do when deer season ends. Is it more difficult than deer hunting? I mean is it easy to call one in? Would you get some sort of scent to attract them? Or like meat/guts?

the critter
November 21st, 2009, 04:27 PM
glad your dog is ok. Now it is time to whack and stack some coyotes!

d_toll85
November 21st, 2009, 04:45 PM
I have no idea on how to hunt yotes as I only see them when deer hunting. But I have seen one everyday now for the last three days. Maybe it's time to get out the .22-250.
Posted via Mobile Device

crowofcrow
November 21st, 2009, 06:10 PM
not to hijack this thread.about 6 weeks ago, 2 coyotes attacked and killed a young lady on a popular hiking trail in the cape breton highlands national park. we only had coyotes come into our aria in the last 10 or so years,they are not native to this area.one was killed at the seen( it would not leave the area)the second one was killed a week later.how did thay know this was the second one?

smokin x's
November 21st, 2009, 06:13 PM
If it was me I'd be out as much as I could tryin to kill every yote I seen.

I hate yotes, yeah there a good looking animal in winter and especially some color phases but I'd still kill everyone that gives me the chance.

Glad your dog is ok, I have two dogs of my own and I know what it's like. They become part of the family.

SBXT
November 21st, 2009, 06:15 PM
glad you pooch is ok now go get a 223 and blast them dang yotes.

Old Towne
November 21st, 2009, 06:24 PM
One of my friends and I have been wanting to get into coyote hunting for a while, figured it would be something to do when deer season ends. Is it more difficult than deer hunting? I mean is it easy to call one in? Would you get some sort of scent to attract them? Or like meat/guts?

Get a predator call that sounds like a squealing rabbit. I've also had them come into my can call, I blow into the hole on the can and it sounds like a distressed fawn. I killed a yote yesterday after I saw its mate chasing a fawn past my stand. The firts yote was on a dead run... the second one paused just a little to long.;) Glad your dog is ok.

jth091
November 21st, 2009, 07:03 PM
Glad its ok!

FIZZY
November 21st, 2009, 07:14 PM
I had a similar scare several years ago with my Cockapoo. I always let him out just before bed. This time there were 3 Foxes on my patio. 2 were pups. They tried to lure him away by acting like they wanted to play. When he got to the border of the yard he wouldn't follow any further. I was yelling for him to stop and he did and returned to the house. I knew the foxes might be in the area and should have looked first. We had been spoting them late in the evening eating june bugs under the street lights. After they made the rounds, They would go up on the patios to catch the bugs attracted to those lights. My dog was the most gentile dog you had ever seen. I caught him licking a bird once in the back yard till the bird flew away. I'm sure that once out of sight those foxes would have turned on him. Coyotes are bad where I hunt. I think I would take one if given the chance.

g_c_c_23
November 21st, 2009, 07:19 PM
Damn Coyotes

shott
November 21st, 2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks everyone, she has been layed up all day...looks pretty bad, but going to be OK. Some crazy s%^& no doubt. Will be standing guard from now on....locked and loaded.:angry:

AdvanTimberLou
November 21st, 2009, 07:41 PM
Glad she is o.k. Dogs are family and we love our 3 boxers a bunch so we know what you mean when they are hurting.

Time to do some coyote hunting it appears.

pink06
November 21st, 2009, 09:14 PM
Shot a yote this morning...

bowtechwv
November 21st, 2009, 09:19 PM
my is like one of my kids its time to go hunting

Lonestar63
November 21st, 2009, 09:23 PM
Glad she's ok...

I opened my door last night to check and see if the storm door was locked, and there was a coyote about 10 ft from the porch.

They can be bold.

aggiegoddess
November 21st, 2009, 09:30 PM
I her 3 4 buckshot 3 InMagnum wok good on yotres

Might get some yote urine and do some snaring and trapping at your place

glad she is OK

TAG:angel:

tpriest
November 21st, 2009, 11:07 PM
I couldn't imagine. Glad she is going to be OK! It is amazing how them little pets of ours settle so deep into our hearts. I had to put my Yorkshire terrier down 4 years ago, she was 14. I held her in my arms when she got the injection, and for some time after it was done. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life but I felt I owed it to her to be with her until the end. Had it been me dieing and her there with me she'd have done the same. :cry:

ILLINOISBOY
November 21st, 2009, 11:47 PM
He is, Praise him!!!! May he be your Lord!!!:thumbs_up:D:thumbs_up

glipps
November 21st, 2009, 11:49 PM
i've got 3 boxers of my own.... they are family and sleep in the bed with my wife and i. i'm glad to hear a happy ending to this story. now go out and get some yotes.:thumbs_up

Stanley
November 22nd, 2009, 12:21 AM
Glad the pooch is ok.

islandhuntah
November 22nd, 2009, 12:34 AM
it dont suprise me about those yote's, i seen a few where i work no woods near by just restaurants and stripmalls and they are out and about, ive been hoping to shoot one or ten of them, glad your dogs are okay wish my chow, rott mix dog brock could lock on one of those heathens!

muddbone
November 22nd, 2009, 01:49 AM
Glad your dog is gonna be alright. My Jack Russell is like a family member as well. Coyotes aren't all that bad....that make a nice mount:D.

DougKMN
November 22nd, 2009, 02:15 AM
You lost your man card the moment you said you had 2 rat terriers, sorry dude :P

This is precisely why I don't let my dog out of a controlled environment when it is dark/dusk. I also won't leave her out unattended (chain her up outside and then leave-she's only outside if someone is home or shes in her kennel)

Good to hear yours will be OK.