PDA

View Full Version : Question concerning youth hunting restrictions

ArkansasMystic
November 21st, 2009, 11:46 PM
I'm having a little difficulty understanding the AGFC regs on youth deer hunting. Simple question: are youth hunters able to kill any deer?
This is strait off the AGFC site:
"Youth hunters: Hunters 15 years old and younger may harvest any buck without regard to antler size or points, except on the East Unit of Choctaw Island WMA, where they must follow antler restrictions."
I'm assuming that's season wide and not just during the youth hunt because there's no specification on that. However, it does say any buck, so what about a doe? Can anyone clarify the law on this? Thanks!

swampboss
November 21st, 2009, 11:53 PM
Youth can hunt any time seasons are open. The "special youth hunts "are for youth only. Also, youth hunters not having hunters ed card must be within arms length of adult hunters. Youth hunters with hunters ed card can hunt alone.
They can take does or 1 buck of any type , the second must follow the rules of the zone killed
Does this make sense. ?

ArkansasMystic
November 22nd, 2009, 12:08 AM
K, I got that. Maybe my question is confusing. Are youths bound by the same restrictions as adults regarding points/does. In my zone, you can't harvest a doe with a gun at the moment. Can a youth? Also, the above quote from AGFC to me means they aren't bound by the 3 point rule. This question was brought up in my family and there is some debate on interpretations, so I'm just hoping to get the correct answer.

swampboss
November 22nd, 2009, 12:12 AM
I could be wrong about that doe. Do you have a Game and Fish hunting guide?
I should spelled out better than the website.
You can call your district office on Monday and they will be glad to answer any questions.

ArkansasMystic
November 22nd, 2009, 12:15 AM
Ok, I made my post as you edited your first one. That last part, the part you added on the edit, is what I'm looking for. I agree with that interpretation, but others questioned it and I wanted to make sure we were doing it right. I don't have a guide book handy, nor the number for the local office, but I can get both Monday. However, they have a hunt planned for tomorrow, so I was needing an answer sooner than that. I'll definitely verify the info early next week, just need to know for tomorrow. Thanks!

swampboss
November 22nd, 2009, 12:35 AM
I found my book. You must be in zone 2 or 3. If so it looks like does are notallowed past Nov.14 and 15. It looks like any buck would be fine for youth. Also new this year, "youths 15 and younger may harvest bucks during any season without regard to antler restrictions " so they can kill 2 if they want to.
Good luck!

ArkansasMystic
November 22nd, 2009, 08:59 AM
I'd be in zone 7 or 11. I didn't read anything about does, so I guess I'll go with no on those. However, I do agree with any buck can be taken, thanks for your input.

jna329
November 23rd, 2009, 01:56 PM
Really curious if you contacted agfc on this and what they had to say. I too read it as a youth may harvest any buck during any season regardless of antlers, but have not allowed my daughter to take one because I am not positive. someone told me that they can take any buck during youth hunt and the rest of time are subject to same regulations as we are. Please let me know if you have more info. been watching a spike that is just plain dumb and my girl wanted to kill him but i wouldnt let her because I am not sure it is legal.

AR_Headhunter
November 23rd, 2009, 03:13 PM
Someone told me that they can take any buck during youth hunt and the rest of time are subject to same regulations as we are.

Thats how I understood the regulations as well.

swampboss
November 23rd, 2009, 11:39 PM
Thats how I understood the regulations as well.
That is what I thought too. that is the way it has been for the past few years but upon closer inspection of this years Hunting Guidebook on page 42 states- Youth hunters 15 years old and younger may harvest any buck without regard to antler size or points , except on the east unit of Choctaw Island WMA , where they must follow antler restrictions.

AR_Headhunter
November 24th, 2009, 11:31 AM
That is what I thought too. that is the way it has been for the past few years but upon closer inspection of this years Hunting Guidebook on page 42 states- Youth hunters 15 years old and younger may harvest any buck without regard to antler size or points , except on the east unit of Choctaw Island WMA , where they must follow antler restrictions.

Then that needs to be looked into by the AGFC. During MG season we do not need special regulations for youth. They should go by the same rules as the rest of us during the regular seasons. IMHO

jna329
November 24th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I took it upon myself to get this answered for good. According to Lisa @ agfc - youths 15 years and younger may harvest any buck regardless of antler size. This may be done during any season. Not just the youth hunt.

15 and under dont have to follow the 3-pt. rule. My daughter will be mad that I made her pass a few, but hey I didnt know.

Page 5 of the book lists this new regulation.

swampboss
November 25th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Then that needs to be looked into by the AGFC. During MG season we do not need special regulations for youth. They should go by the same rules as the rest of us during the regular seasons. IMHO

I think they did look into it. They changed it back for youth hunters the way it was before antler restrictions. This keeps kids interest up while hunting. Most young hunters will give up hunting trying to wait on a Trophy after several hunts and no deer. Also they are not too good at judging size and counting points. They have a tough time dealing with "buck fever" on any deer.