PDA

View Full Version : A Slightly Different Question on Broadhead Flight

allegrofuzzy
November 22nd, 2009, 12:12 PM
I know bow tuning makes yer broadheads fly like field points, but what causes poor grouping of some broadheads versus others?

To start with, my arrows are spined properly, and all arrow/head combos are spin tested and weight checked. I use the same arrows and the same bow for all shots. I've gotten really small groups out of Slick Tricks, Muzzy 3 blade, and Striker heads; but I've gotten lousy groups out of Muzzy 4 blade, Thunderheads, Montecs, and Steel Force Premium. I know others can get these heads to group well, but why can't I?

slickstalker
November 22nd, 2009, 01:28 PM
I would just stick with what works and not worry about the ones that don't.

Big Country
November 22nd, 2009, 01:41 PM
Without actually being able to put hands on your arrow/broadhead combo, I would only be guessing......

My guess is that the heads that are not working simply are not spinning perfectly true on your shafts.

That said, I have rarely ever found a Thunderhead that was not machined true. if other heads are spinning well on a given arrow, that indicates that the arrows insert is probably squared properly.

Are you using the same weight broad heads for comparison?

PA_ENGR
November 22nd, 2009, 01:51 PM
I know bow tuning makes yer broadheads fly like field points, but what causes poor grouping of some broadheads versus others?

To start with, my arrows are spined properly, and all arrow/head combos are spin tested and weight checked. I use the same arrows and the same bow for all shots. I've gotten really small groups out of Slick Tricks, Muzzy 3 blade, and Striker heads; but I've gotten lousy groups out of Muzzy 4 blade, Thunderheads, Montecs, and Steel Force Premium. I know others can get these heads to group well, but why can't I?

Typically the wider and longer the broadhead the more it will pronounce any defects in the arrow/bow combo. That being said it seems like for the most part the bigger heads are the ones you having problems with (except for the Muzzy 3 blade which is also decently large compared to the ST's and Strikers).

STUDENT-ARCHER
November 22nd, 2009, 02:29 PM
agree BH's will magnify any bow set-up/tuning issue, and form issues will cause grouping issues as well. Ensure you have enough fletching to do the job also, if you've been shooting 4" try 5", or Quickspins or...there is a combo that will tune and group well for any good shooter.