PDA

View Full Version : cabin construction help

jason17
December 11th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I'm looking to build a small cabin. I'm needing ideas on a septic system. Codes wont matter. I'm thinking of just using a small barrel(drum) with one lateral. Does anybody have any experiences or better ideas. It wont be used very much. Thanks

Ray Ray
December 20th, 2009, 06:59 PM
At my cabin we don't have running water or sepic. For years we had an outhouse, but this past year we bought a composting tiolet which we are going to start using in the spring. You can use them indoors with no smell & empty them once or twice a year.

Buckem
January 1st, 2010, 09:27 AM
We took two plastic 55 gal drums and dug them in side by side. Connected w/ 3" PVC at the top and made our own make shift drain field w/one 20' run of perforated PVC. The waste comes in the top of one drum and when it fills up with liquid it stills over to the second drum. The second drum leads to the drain field. We use our cabin only in the non freezing months and no problems yet.

410gage
January 1st, 2010, 10:23 AM
Really no need to reinvent the wheel here. Outdoor privys have been efficient and used for centuries. Build a nice dry, tight, attractive one and keep it clean. Vented properly and limed regularly they are still the cheapest and easiest way to go. Get it? Way to go! Never mind! Happy New Year :shade:

Our outhouse is about 8' by 12' and doubles as a storage shed for everything from tools to treestands, and has been in service for nine years. There are plenty of plans and ideas on the net.

QuickReflex
January 1st, 2010, 11:57 AM
Take 2 55 gal plastic drums 1st one put a hole in the top for inlet & another on the side about 8" down from top for outlet. 2nd drum will sit slightly deeper & will have the same openings. The connection on the outlet of the 1st barrell shold have a 90 facing down so it dont let solids into the next tank. Once they are connected , run your drain feild lines out 25' or so to goood draining soil.

Joe73
January 1st, 2010, 07:15 PM
X2 with the 55 gal. drum ideas. I have a camper on my property and I dump the black and grey tanks into some drums in the gound. I just took the first drum, put in some 4" pvc out of the top for an inlet. Took a hole saw and put quite a few holes all around both barrels. Put them in the ground side by side and connected them together with some 3 or 4" pvc about 8 inches from the top. No drain field for me and it works great. I cover the inlet with a flat piece of shale and thats about it. Been working for me the past 8 seasons.

Buckem
January 2nd, 2010, 08:13 AM
Take 2 55 gal plastic drums 1st one put a hole in the top for inlet & another on the side about 8" down from top for outlet. 2nd drum will sit slightly deeper & will have the same openings. The connection on the outlet of the 1st barrell shold have a 90 facing down so it dont let solids into the next tank. Once they are connected , run your drain feild lines out 25' or so to goood draining soil.

Exactly what we did, you just explained it better! Works great.:darkbeer:

bowhunter1807
January 22nd, 2010, 12:58 AM
its a little more than barrels but dig a hole 4' deep 4' wide stack concrete blocks from the bottom to top leave an 1" or so gap between blocks put creek gravel in bottom about 10" deep put metal t posts across the top put plywood on top off the post pour cement on the top off that septic that will last longer than your cabin ever will

OhioArcheryGirl
January 23rd, 2010, 07:52 PM
Here's a very good composting toilet you may want to check in to.

http://www.airheadtoilet.com/

Outdoor Sooner
February 8th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Very good answers to your question. If at all possible I'd avoid as much toilet paper going into it as possible. Scott is a good brand if you have to flush it down.