PDA

View Full Version : Statewide Feral Hog Tournament ??

swampboss
December 24th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Anyone have any ideas that would work to get the wild hog numbers down.
Is there any way to have say, a 2 day wild hog tournament , $50 per 2 man team, must be filmed on video, all you can shoot in 2 days. polygraph to top 3 winners. 100% payback
We need to do something..... Any comments ? Other ideas/ rules ?

jna329
January 5th, 2010, 11:47 PM
I dont know about the tourny you are proposing-but i am all for putting together a hunt. I would like to try and get several of us together for a hunt after deer season but before spring turkey. I think it would be a great time. I like the idea of paired hunters. We need to have several places throughout the state to hunt so that we dont overload one area. I think we could all post success pics on here and the team with the largest hog, most hogs, and the smallest hog will win something. To be eligible you must have a pic with hog on a scale and or measured with a tape. If anyone has more suggestions lets hear them. Time is short and we need to get going on this. I am going after some hogs after deer season anyway. just sounds like fun to make it a weekend competition or something.

AR_Headhunter
January 6th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I would enjoy a hunt with you guys. I am not in a area with enough hogs to make a tourney viable but I love killing them.

bigdoglanyards
January 6th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I'm in!

jna329
January 6th, 2010, 11:06 PM
We need to come up with a date and a place for folks to meet. If you have a place to go that has hogs then speak up and say how many guys/gals you want to take to that place and where it is. Then we will have an idea of where to meet and which group we are going to go to. I live in nwa and dont have a place with hogs. So I will go with the closest to me.
Jack you seem to know of an area -maybe you could take a few of us. I would prefer a spot and stalk.
If there is only a few that want to go then we will all try to meet at a central point and go from there depending on who is guiding. Im thinking mid-feb. til mid march would work. Let me know if that works for any of you and we will try to get a day or two scheduled. I have a few things that need to be worked around but will try to make this time work for me.
SMACKIN SOME HOGS-HERE WE COME!!!!!!

AR_Headhunter
January 7th, 2010, 12:14 AM
I know a couple good spots but right now the hogs are bedded deep in pine thickets & or grass fields. IMO the best time to hog hunt is early fall or mid to late summer. I know a couple great spots for early next season & I would not mind getting a few of us together for a hunt. If you want to hog hunt right now then I highly recommend mid day. Hogs do not like cold weather & will move during the warmest part of the day during cold weather like this. As soon as I can get out of the valley work is going to keep me tied up for about 2 weeks. I do know of a great spot during spring turkey season. I killed 4 in there year before last during turkey season.

jna329
January 7th, 2010, 12:48 AM
I am all for whenever!!! I would like to go early spring and then again in the fall. WHENEVER -If I have time I will go!!!!!!!

bigdoglanyards
January 11th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I have been told that there is some good hog hunting just north of Natural Dam area? Can anyone back this up?

AR_Headhunter
January 11th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Where is that?

bigdoglanyards
January 11th, 2010, 08:33 PM
North West part of the state

AR_Headhunter
January 11th, 2010, 08:34 PM
North West part of the state

Then we need to hook up with Jeff & go!!!

bigdoglanyards
January 11th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Then we need to hook up with Jeff & go!!!

I'm in! I need to get up that way and do some looking around. This is not the first time I have been told that area was holding some good hogs.

AR_Headhunter
January 11th, 2010, 10:15 PM
I'm in! I need to get up that way and do some looking around. This is not the first time I have been told that area was holding some good hogs.

Well I'm out of town on a job right now. I'll let you know when I'm back & perhaps we can go.

talon1961
January 11th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Gulf Mountain WMA is loaded with hogs!

jna329
January 12th, 2010, 02:25 PM
I too have heard of hogs around natural dam. i am not real familiar with the area but do know that there is some great land in there. I will do some checking and see what I can find on the area. I know several people that may be able to help us out on locating the right areas. If you all have a chance to get this way let me know and we will try to go do some scouting in that area. Its about an hour or so from me.

jna329
January 12th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Gulf Mountain WMA is loaded with hogs!

??? not familiar with this wma where is it located? According to the book it is Van Buren County. Can you give me better directions. How far from Fayetteville?

talon1961
January 16th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I believe you can get there easily by taking hwy 16 from Elkins to Scotland. Gulf Mountain WMA is located near Scotland, Just West of Clinton, AR in Van Buren County. It's been several years since I hunted it, but my cousins hunt it quite often. They see hogs nearly every time out bowhunting during deer and turkey seasons.