PDA

View Full Version : Ft Chaffee

razorbackhunter
December 27th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Has anybody been seeing deer on Chaffee. I have been hunting 3 to 4 days aweek and have only seen a handful of deer. I did hunt 5 the first day it opened and had a small 8 point chase 2 doe by me,which was a great surprise this late into the season.

ArHogFan09
December 28th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I have been hunting the Chaffee Crossing alot this year. I have been seeing a ton of sign but haven't been seeing much while in the stand. Most of the deer in my area are moving at night I think. I going back out Wednesday to give it another shot. What area of Chaffee are you hunting?

fishmannyj
December 28th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I have been hunting area 8 since it has open. The deer are starting to filter back in after all the soldiers are out. Did see a group of buck (6) running together! They look like they are getting ready to shed aleady! Will be back out there this evening!

ArHogFan09
December 28th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I need to explore out on Chaffee more. I just got my permit this year and haven't even been on the main portion. I guess I should check and see what areas are open.

razorbackhunter
January 1st, 2010, 09:36 PM
You check out this area on chaffee crossing I have killed a few deer here.If your heading east from ft smith past the espn radio station the last entrance before you get to railroad tracks,turn right on to chaffee crossing.Come to the stop sign turn left then take first right and hunt east of the pine thicket.

razorbackhunter
January 1st, 2010, 09:39 PM
I hunted 5 and 7a this week and seen 12 deer. 8 bucks 4 does, only 1 buck was legal he only had one side of his rack and never gave me a shot.Did see 3 big hogs 20 yards into impact today.

ArHogFan09
January 4th, 2010, 09:54 AM
You check out this area on chaffee crossing I have killed a few deer here.If your heading east from ft smith past the espn radio station the last entrance before you get to railroad tracks,turn right on to chaffee crossing.Come to the stop sign turn left then take first right and hunt east of the pine thicket.

Yeah I have a Chaffee Crossing Archery permit, that is one of the few places I haven't hunted this year. My friend saw a nice 8 point almost exactly where you are talking about. He called it in with a can call and it winded him before it was in range. I have been hunting area 4a at Chaffee recently. There is alot of sign but I have only seen one doe during shooting hours.

talon1961
January 5th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I killed two, an 8 pt and a doe, on the first day 6D was open in Oct. It reopened Dec. 20th and I've been hunting it pretty good since. I have seen several doe, one decent 8 pt (I shot low-imagine that!) and several non-legal bucks lately. I saw a really nice buck just past the Bloomer gate this week as I was leaving for the morning. Most everything closes again this weekend due to it being "drill weekend" but opens back up again next week. A friend shot a good 8 pt on area 8 yesterday evening and said the action is really getting good there right now. I may have to try it out since its only about 10 minutes from my house.

fishmannyj
January 15th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Hunted area 7 this evening with none sighted. Gonna try 6b tomorrow!?

fishmannyj
January 17th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Hunted Area 3 all day today cept for quick lunch break. Saw 5 does around 8am then 1 doe near 4:40pm. To far and to thick! Will be back after them again Tuesday.