PDA

View Full Version : LaPine, OR

kauf2938
September 4th, 2004, 03:37 PM
I'm moving from Waco,TX to Lapine, OR next week. I've heard its a beautiful place to live. Anybody familiar with the area?

I'm kind of nervous. A texas boy moving to tree hugger country. Hopefully its not as bad as everyone is trying to get me to believe.

I will be needing a sales job if anyone knows of anything.

Chris

tomr1962
September 4th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Over by Burns right? You'll have to learn to hunt elk and mule deer now. Nice area.

FSL
September 4th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Beautiful spot located just south of Bend, OR. Great fishing and hunting but being that close to Bend you will have to face an occassional "hugger". Also have a great club in Bend and the Hoyt Rep for the NW lives in La Pine. I believe they have a shop in La Pine and Dels in Bend is fantastic.

I usually travel through in May on my way to Redding. Always liked the area.........

tomr1962
September 4th, 2004, 04:50 PM
I meant Bend. Nosler Bullet company is located there.

mike-uswest
September 4th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Lapine is small but rapidly growing, and a nice little town. You will be right in the good deer and elk areas. You have a ways to Bend, but not too far, and you can get anything you need there. The weather is nice there in the summer, and cold winters. It is on highway 97 and you can get out usually at anytime. You can go from there to anyplace in the state without too much of a trip, so the fishing and hunting is at your doorstep wherever you want to go. Some of the best lakes are right in the area. You will love it. Bend does have it's share of "Bunny Huggers", but there are still a lot of good old boys there also. Eugene to Portland is where most of the real weirdos are kept. Dave Ferguson at Del's Archery Den can help you with anything you need for your bow. Will probably see you at some of the shoots up there. Good luck.

Mike

kauf2938
September 5th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm getting excited now. I stayed up late last night reading the hunting and fishing regs.

I have to be a resident 6 months before I can get a resident license. Also can't believe some of the lakes are closed.

I'm gonna have to learn how to fly fish.

Chris

mike-uswest
September 5th, 2004, 06:30 PM
I've been doing it for years, still don't know what I'm doing, but really froth up the water and catch some nice fish at times. East lake above Lapine has some great browns in it that at times really like flies. There is a small archery shop in Lapine also.

Mike

kauf2938
September 7th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Road trip started. This is going to be a long trip.

SnattleRake
September 7th, 2004, 01:13 PM
I don’t live there but we spend a great deal of time in central Oregon. La Pine is located about 20 miles S.E. from Bend, which is the largest town in the center of the state. Bend is a rapid growing and has become a rather expensive place to live. Most of the people in Bend are from out of state that has built vacation homes in private communities. The surrounding area is primarily dotted with resorts both ski and golf. La Pine is very close to Mt. Bachelor, a premiere ski resort so expect a great deal of snow in the winter, feet not inches. The area is high desert with Ponderosa Pine, Juniper and Sage. La Pine is a very small community, many that have moved there from Bend because they couldn’t afford to live there anymore. They’re nice folks, mostly ranchers and not tree huggers; they’re back in Bend. If you’re looking for work, especially in sales, you’ll be looking in Bend. Which reminds me, Why La Pine? If you don’t mind me asking, what made you choose this little town?
Here are A few sites for you to visit; maybe it will give you a better idea of where you’re going. I hope this helps.
By the way, I hope you like Deer, because you’ll be in some serious Mule Deer country!
Best of luck to you, and welcome to Oregon.

http://www.el.com/to/lapine/
http://www.ci.bend.or.us/
http://www.visitbend.com/
http://www.el.com/to/bend/
http://www.central-oregon.com/bendtoc.html
http://findit.emp.state.or.us/offices/bend.cfm

PulShootExplode
September 7th, 2004, 07:51 PM
I have lived in Bend my whole life. You can't beat it, 15 minutes east your in the desert, 15minutes west your in the mountains, the deschutes river runs through it. Deer, elk, bear, cougar, antelope, salmon, steelhead, bass, crappie, trout, anything you can imagine outdoors. Definetly check out Dels they have league shoot on the DART system both spring and winter. Hope you enjoy.

blderman
September 9th, 2004, 05:36 PM
I've been to a lot of places around the country and I have to say that central oregon(Bend, LaPine) has to be the best place I have ever been. 300+ days of sunshine a year, it's green, you get plenty of snow in the winter and heat in the summer. Probably the best thing is you'll be near one of the best bloodlines of elk in the country. Not very many people know that 2 of the top scoring elk in the world were taken around the bend area. The Evans bull was taken in the Ochoco's in the 50's I believe it scored around 435. The 2nd bull was a shed found outside of La Pine a little ways. If I remember correctly it was pushing 440 or more. I could be off a little on these numbers but I know the shed would have been the new world record if it had been harvested by a hunter. A lot of people don't think Oregon has big elk, but that's not true you just to look harder than in the wide open country of NM, MN, AZ etc. Good Luck, I think you'll love La Pine.....I know I can't wait to move from crappy Portland to there in a few years!!!

J

kauf2938
September 15th, 2004, 04:33 PM
I made it to La Pine last Thursday night. I just got my phone line installed today. No highspeed internet here.

It is beautiful here. A little cold at night.

The reason we moved here is because my wifes grandmother gave us a nice 4 bedroom house and some land. She has cancer and wanted her grand-daughter closer.

Right now I'm trying to learn all the new fishing and hunting regs. You have to be a resident for 6 months before you can get a resident license. I went to get a drivers license yesterday and found out you have to take a written test. So not knowing anything about snow driving, chains etc. I got a book to study before I take the test.

If anyone wants to show a newbie to the area where to go and what to do regarding hunting and fishing, I'll buy the gas.

Thats another thing. I'm not use to having someone else pump my gas. Is it all full service?

Chris

blderman
September 15th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Glad you had a safe trip. Yes the gas is all full service unfortunately. And be prepared for even colder weather, La Pine is lucky to get above freezing in the winter a lot of times. Lots of snow too, I was looking at some property there in april and some places still had 20" on the ground. Winter is starting early this year in Oregon, it's not always this cold so soon. It really is a fantastic place to live though!!! I am not familiar with the best fishing spots around, but there are plenty of lakes to go to, shouldn't take you too long to find them. If you like to ski/snowboard too, Mt. Bachelor is only a 25 minute drive from you and it is one of the best places on the west coast to ski. 300+" of snow a year and it's dry snow most of the time.
Take care.

J

kauf2938
September 15th, 2004, 10:13 PM
I'm gonna try snowboarding. I'm also gonna try gold panning. There's no gold in Texas.

Chris

blderman
September 16th, 2004, 12:04 AM
There's lots of gold in the mountains of Northeast and Southwest
Oregon, albeit most of it has been mined or is still embeded. I am not sure about the La Pine area, but I was told there are some lakes over there that have quite a bit of gold if you do some dredging. I know where I hunt in NE there is gold all over in the creeks, it's just tiny flakes but they are everywhere.

J

Hawkk33
September 16th, 2004, 12:16 AM
Better ask the police department what kind of town LaPine is. Ask what is the #1 crime or #1 reason for folks being arrested. Quite a bit of street pharmaceuticals being made and sold there.

Beside that, the town is a nice little out of the way place. 30 or so minutes from Bend, Oregon and all the skiiing and snowboarding or whatever recreation you may be into.

Welcome to Oregon and remember you can only hunt within 20 miles of the town you live in .jk

Tree Huggers live in the west side of Oregon lets get that straight ok ?

Oregon Shooter
September 16th, 2004, 12:45 AM
anytime you want to see what a tree hugger looks like let me know lol ill take you down town here in eugene and youll smell em before you see them :D thats no joke either lol.

La Pine is a nice little town. been through there a few times. I like the area around that part of the state. good luck getting set up there. maybe youll run into Jim Horn from Primos. hes also a resident of La Pine.

kauf2938
September 17th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to Bend today to check out Del's

Chris

SnattleRake
September 17th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Welcome to Oregon my friend, glad to have you here! Don’t take the snow thing lightly though, we’re not kidding. Winter is almost here and you’re about to have your baptism by fire. Trust us, get chains! By the way, I just spoke with a friend of mine in Sisters (it’s outside of Bend), he tells me that now might be a good time to go over to Beaver Coach in Bend and talk to them about work. They’re a luxury motor home manufacturer on the west side of town. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask, one of us is bound to have an answer.

Ron

ACLakey
September 17th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Welcome to Oregon. If you come down this way I will be happy to show you around.

Oregon Shooter
September 17th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Beaver Coaches is a division of Monaco Coach Corp. I work for them here in Eugene. Our production is way up right now and they are always looking for good employees. Benefits are pretty good and the pay isnt to terrible. It would at least get you working till you could find yourself a better position somewhere else. Heck you may even like it.