PDA

View Full Version : 2010-11 General Hunting Public Meeting Topics

AR_Headhunter
January 1st, 2010, 01:37 PM
Here is a list of what is on the agenda to be discussed at the upcoming meeting. There are several things on here that I take interest in as well as a few that are not included but will be brought up. I hope you guys find this useful.

1.Restrict baiting and feeding of wildlife on public and private land from March 1-Aug. 1 with the exception of high-fence enclosures or within 150 yards of an occupied residence.

2.Increase the doe archery bag limit in zones 2, 6, 6A, 7, 8, 8A and 10 from two does to three does.

3.Increase the doe archery bag limit in zones 1 and 1A from two does to four does.

4.Increase the doe muzzleloader and modern gun bag limit in zones 1 and 1A from one doe to two does and increase muzzleloader either-sex days from five days to 12 days.

5.Extend the modern gun deer season for zone 13 by one week (Nov. 13-Dec. 19), and move the second portion of muzzleloader season to Dec. 29-31.

6.Allow hunters 65 and older to participate in the January statewide special youth deer season if accompanying a youth hunter.

7.Remove the zone doe quota permit requirement on Winona WMA and allow one doe to be harvested during the first five days of muzzleloader season or during the first two days of modern gun season.

8.Eliminate check sheets on WMAs, national wildlife refuges and DMAP clubs. All checked harvest will be online or by telephone. Log books for biological data recording will be distributed to WMAs, NWRs and DMAP clubs.

9.Require the display of hunter orange on all sides of ground blinds on WMAs during deer modern gun and muzzleloader seasons. Hunter orange should be at least 144 square inches on each side and a minimum of 3 feet above the ground.

10.Does harvested on Freddie Black Choctaw Island WMA Deer Research Area (east unit) will count toward a hunter’s bag limit.

11.Change the legal buck definition on Freddie Black Choctaw Island WMA Deer Research Area (east unit) – a buck must have an inside spread of 15 inches or more or have at least one main beam at least 18 inches long.
Increase the deer bag limit on Moro Big Pine Natural Area WMA to two legal bucks or up to five does for permit hunts and archery season.

12.Remove the leased land permit requirement on Moro Big Pine Natural Area WMA.

13.Increase the deer bag limit in zone 12 from four to five, with no more than two bucks or up to five does.

14.Remove the list of deer zones and areas that may contribute to the four-deer bag limit and allow hunters to harvest up to the full statewide bag limit, provided they don’t exceed the limit for an individual deer zone or WMA.

15.Allow holders of a $10.50 Resident Wildlife Conservation License to harvest their one deer during any deer season with any legal weapon.

16.Convert the two one-day muzzleloader permit hunts into one two-day muzzleloader permit hunt on Camp Robinson WMA.

17.Reinstate the 200-bear harvest quota for bear zone 1 (including WMAs within zone 1).

18.Decrease the bear harvest quota for zone 5 to 10 bears and zone 5A to 5 bears.

19.Replace current elk zone structure with a county-based zone system for private land, which will consist of Boone, Carroll, Madison, Newton and Searcy Counties.

20.Replace the existing spring and fall squirrel seasons with one season to run May 15, 2010-Feb. 28, 2011. The 2011-12 season would run May 22-Feb.28.

21.Shorten the quail season by one month, with an ending date of Jan. 9, 2011. Bag limits remain unchanged.

22.Close access to caves on all WMAs.

23.Extend furbearer trapping season to the end of February.

24.Increase the raccoon hunting bag limit from one to four from July until the start of trapping season on private lands and from July 1 until the end of February on WMAs.

knighten
January 1st, 2010, 06:08 PM
They need to change the rules on hog hunting on wma.there should be an open season on them with any legal weapon,or trapping.

AR_Headhunter
January 1st, 2010, 06:57 PM
They need to change the rules on hog hunting on wma.there should be an open season on them with any legal weapon,or trapping.

Hog hunting is allowed on any WMA now with any weapon legal for any animal in season. I hope they never allow trapping of hogs on WMA's. I would not mind seeing them open a dog season for hogs on WMA's, Febuary through March.

whitewolf1
January 2nd, 2010, 11:07 AM
Looks great, extend the freakin gun seasons, that's just what we need.

I dont like doing away with the dmap check stations either.

Extend gun seasons and further do away with check stations, seriously???

Why dont they just say from Oct 1st until Jan. 31 deer season is open, shoot all you want with whatever you want to use to kill them.

jna329
January 3rd, 2010, 05:33 PM

Why dont they just say from Oct 1st until Jan. 31 deer season is open, shoot all you want with whatever you want to use to kill them.

This is where you quit complaining and do something about it. Let your voice be heard. I know that it may not help but it damn sure wont hurt. If you want change then be there and ask for it. If you cant be there then at least call, email, or write them and let them know how you feel. If enough of us push the same direction then we can make them move. There is a couple things I like so far. I like that the limits on the does may go up. Just remember these are proposals. they are probably going through but it is up to us to voice our concerns.

neo71665
January 3rd, 2010, 06:51 PM
1. I don't agree with
I hunt on my own 80 acres and don't see why me having food plots year around is any of the states business.

13. I agree with
Due to the new 3 point rule we have way too many older trash bucks in this area and nobody seems to be worried about killing does anymore. The ratio is so out of wack its pitiful.

The rest I could care less about. I won't be at the meeting cause it pointless. I've been to 4 or 5 in the past and unless you are some big name in the state or throwing cash at them left and right they don't care what you have to say. If they even listen to you its a surprise and most the time they already have their minds made up to do what they wanna.

AR_Headhunter
January 3rd, 2010, 07:08 PM
1. I don't agree with
I hunt on my own 80 acres and don't see why me having food plots year around is any of the states business.

13. I agree with
Due to the new 3 point rule we have way too many older trash bucks in this area and nobody seems to be worried about killing does anymore. The ratio is so out of wack its pitiful.

The rest I could care less about. I won't be at the meeting cause it pointless. I've been to 4 or 5 in the past and unless you are some big name in the state or throwing cash at them left and right they don't care what you have to say. If they even listen to you its a surprise and most the time they already have their minds made up to do what they wanna.

Neo,
I totally agree with you on the state staying out of our business on our private property. If we want to feed year round then why shouldn't we be able to. Food plots is not what they are trying to regulate though. It's people feeding corn, protein pellets, etc.. That is about 1 of the stupidest regulation suggestions I have ever heard though! Looks to me like they are trying to make it illegal for those of us who actually care about our herd to do things to benefit the herd.

I to have been to the meetings in the past & I pretty much feel they are a joke. Your right, they pretty much have their minds made up on what they are going to do & are simply holding meetings to "please" the public. Thats why we need organization. We need a unified voice they they will have to listen to. Like you said, unless your a big wig then it's no big deal to them. Thats why we have to do things different if we really want to be heard. JMHO

bigdoglanyards
January 3rd, 2010, 09:35 PM
I to have been to the meetings in the past & I pretty much feel they are a joke. Your right, they pretty much have their minds made up on what they are going to do & are simply holding meetings to "please" the public. Thats why we need organization. We need a unified voice they they will have to listen to. Like you said, unless your a big wig then it's no big deal to them. Thats why we have to do things different if we really want to be heard. JMHO

Jack, you are right on brother! One thing I have learned recently from a "friend" who is in state government, is that when it comes to the AGFC, money talks. His suggestion was that we need to in fact organize and then start raising funds. If we were able to make donations to agfc as an organization we would in turn have a greater voice and command more attention.

AR_Headhunter
January 3rd, 2010, 10:29 PM
Jack, you are right on brother! One thing I have learned recently from a "friend" who is in state government, is that when it comes to the AGFC, money talks. His suggestion was that we need to in fact organize and then start raising funds. If we were able to make donations to agfc as an organization we would in turn have a greater voice and command more attention.

JMO but organization is what we need above all else. Most of you guys know that I'm already a member of the deer advisory panel for the AGFC. You guys also know that I am not a fan of many things they do & will not hesitate to call a spade a spade regardless of what anyone thinks. I am not opposed to making "donations" but I do not support making monetary donations to a state agency which is supposed to be managing our wildlife for the benefit of the sportsmen of this state. Like I stated in the other thread, we should be able to make donations of food plot seed, fertilizer, etc. to be used on specific WMA's or specific public lands. Most of you have already read my take on this so I'll not go through it again.

Most of us know that the keys to a healthy herd & bigger bucks are herd balance, genetics, nutrition, & age. We have the genetics already. The things we need to address are the balance of the herd, nutrition, & age structure. Due to my working with the AGFC, I pretty much have everything in place for them to listen to us as a organized group. Thats they key to this though. We all pretty much agree on the overall scope of what we would like to see done. So lets either get off the fence & organize or next year we will still be "debating" the same issues with no resolution.

I'm all about results guys. If you are like me & want results instead of simply discussing this on a forum then lets do what it takes & organize to obtain results.

knob
January 3rd, 2010, 10:38 PM

These are the same kind of things Illinois did several years ago. Trust me they are not in the best interest of your deer herd. Would imagine money, insurance companies and your Farm Bureau lobbyist are behind the increased quotas.

bigdoglanyards
January 3rd, 2010, 11:49 PM
This may not have any thing to do with any thing, just a rant, but.....

Seems like there is some sort of gun season ever weekend from mid oct. to jan 1st !!! If you ask me it sounds like a lot of preasure on our deer...

Just me being me! :shade:

AR_Headhunter
January 4th, 2010, 04:50 PM
This may not have any thing to do with any thing, just a rant, but.....

Seems like there is some sort of gun season ever weekend from mid oct. to jan 1st !!! If you ask me it sounds like a lot of preasure on our deer...

Just me being me! :shade:

Actually I feel the same way about that. Just being me.

AR_Headhunter
January 5th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Guys I can't make it to the meetings tonight. I'll be submitting comments via e-mail as well as on the message board. I just sent Brad Miller a e-mail asking if they have a e-mail set up for those wanting to make comments but who are unable to make it to the meetings. If h replies with a e-mail address for it, I'll post it up.

jna329
January 5th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Jack - due to weather related circumstances I was also unable to attend. The farm has me tied down. My hope is they have another meeting or at least let us have a voice our thoughts via letters, emails, phone calls, etc. If you get that email or contact info would be great. I have prepared a few statements and may need to print them and mail if nothing else. I also intend on giving you a call in the near future to discuss the forming of an organization or at least committee. I have some thoughts on the subject.

AR_Headhunter
January 6th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Jeff I could not even get out of my valley due to the snow. I might be able to make it out today. Here is a response I got from Brad concerning the e-mail I sent him.

Jack
Here is the AGFC webpage which covers the public meeting info…

http://www.agfc.com/hunting/misc_hunting/public-meeting.aspx

Below is a link found on that webpage that lists the discussion topics and has spaces for commenting.

http://www.agfc.com/!userfiles/pdfs/hunting/2010-11GenRegsPublicComments.pdf

Folks can fill out that form and mail it to the address listed at the bottom of the first page. Or folks can just click the “Contact Us” tab at the top of the AGFC home page and send any comments via email that way…

http://www.agfc.com/contact/

jna329
January 7th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Thanks Jack- I have given comments on these proposals as well as voicing my opinion on a few. I know I forgot several key points but hope to add to it as I can remember. This weather has me running ragged and cant seem to think straight. I need some rest. Anyway, I appreciate the links and hope more people will get involved. I also want to know how to sign up on the agfc forum site. It would only let me be a guest. -Jeff

AR_Headhunter
January 14th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Thanks Jack- I have given comments on these proposals as well as voicing my opinion on a few. I know I forgot several key points but hope to add to it as I can remember. This weather has me running ragged and cant seem to think straight. I need some rest. Anyway, I appreciate the links and hope more people will get involved. I also want to know how to sign up on the agfc forum site. It would only let me be a guest. -Jeff

You have to be a member of the Deer Advisory Panel to sign in as anything other than a guest. Give Brad Miller a shout at the AGFC. He is the head of the Deer Program. He might still be looking for more members.