PDA

View Full Version : Bows?

Tattoed Beast
May 21st, 2002, 03:12 PM
Given the different bows on the market, I want to know your thoughts to which bow you think would be most suitable for either Field, Ground, and Treestand hunting for hunters all around. Good look hunting.

I BOW 2
May 22nd, 2002, 08:13 PM
I think that the more moderate in length axle-Axle bow is better all around. We tend to shoot to long of a draw length on the gound (standing) than is a proprer fit in a tree stand making the tree stand more difficult to repeat the same shot. Ken

Preacher
May 23rd, 2002, 09:53 AM
I really like the MQ-1 for Hunting. It has a 37" Axle Length and a 7 1/2" Brace Height which make it short enough for Tree Stands but it is still a very forgiving all around bow. Plus it is super quite when shooting hunting weight arrows.

mavrick
May 23rd, 2002, 10:53 AM
TB, I shoot a bow that is 34 inchs. It seems to be the perfect lenght for either treestand or ground hunting. I have used it out of a ground blind with no trouble. Just seems to be a great in between size.

Tattoed Beast
May 23rd, 2002, 02:04 PM
I have used bows either from a 36" to 41" length for hunting out of a treestand and ground hunting. With these particular lengths, I find it to be able to move freely in a treestand, blind, or just being in the open. Good Luck Hunting.

Doddsman
May 23rd, 2002, 08:08 PM
I'm a finger shooter so I tend to like the longer length bows at least 40" ATA

TJ_
May 24th, 2002, 01:09 PM
I think the geometry of your bow would be dependant on your draw length as that oftentimes dicates which bow will shoot the best for you.

For hunting you'll most likely want a shorter ATA bow, however, if you go with say a sub 34" ATA and have a 29"+ draw the string angle at full draw will be such that you will most likely have trouble with getting consistent results.

This is what I see archers with various draw lengths consistently shooting consistent rounds with:

[DL]28"-30"+ .............................. ...39" & above[ATA]
26-27" .............................. ....36"-41"ish
Sub 26" .............................. ....38"-34"

These are just some of the things I've seen. I personally start to suffer accuracy-wise at around 34" ATA and I'm in the sub26" group :rolleyes: ! Of course you could probably knock a few ATA inches off for a hunting situation....hope this helps.

Tim

Derbytown
May 27th, 2002, 09:41 AM
My bow is 36.5" a to a with a 7.5" brace height. Set on 58# I can draw, and shoot, this rig quite comfortably sitting down, or standing up. FYI, I shoot better sitting down because of a bum leg. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

vabownut
May 27th, 2002, 09:53 AM
I shoot a 36.5" bow with a 7 1/2" brace as well for hunting but being young and dumn i shoot it at 70 lbs :) seems to be my perfect combo for hunting situations .

Doc Holliday
May 27th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Right now I am shooting a 36 ata but I prefer about a 38 ata for 3-d. Now my new indoor rig is 43 ata! :eek: :eek: :D

36 inches is about as short as I would go for myself. I am shooting a 28 inch draw and mostly use a tree stand but do a lot of ground shooting also.

FLHunter
May 28th, 2002, 11:32 PM
I shoot a 38" ATA bow for hunting with a 29" drawlength. I suites me well for all applications, treestand, or ground hunting.

Daniel Boone
May 31st, 2002, 11:23 PM
I think longer axle-axle bows for 3d will always be the favorites. I thought i would never shoot short bow to hunt but some of the shorter bows with good brace heighth 7-8" seem to work well and group well enough for me in treestand, easy to move around.:)

buckfever
June 1st, 2002, 05:08 PM
I'm going to go with the MQ-32", mine proves to be a very versitle bow in the timber. I do love the 8 1/2" brace height and manuverability the 32" bow has in hunting situations.:)

HUNT12
June 3rd, 2002, 01:01 AM
I shopot a longer axle to axle for better forgiveness and better accuracy. That statement always confused me as I thought the archer made the better accuracy part? In any case you should try to find what you shoot better and what feels best for you. Accuracy is still in the hands of the beholder at some point.

pinwheel5
June 3rd, 2002, 01:14 PM
I haven't had it in the woods yet but I think I'll like the Mathews Icon. It has a 38 a-t-a but the riser is about 3 inches longer than the mq1 which makes it more stable. And man o' man is it quiet.

toxo
June 19th, 2002, 01:22 AM
I like the longer axle bows.....I am a finger shooter and like the 36 or better bows........Martin is very high on my list with the Bear TRX also. My draw length is 27" so Both these lengths work well!!!! These are forgiving bows with adequate speeds to give you all the attributes to good hunting capabilites!!!

robk
June 29th, 2002, 04:48 AM
i am shooting a pse thunderboltat 29 inch draw and 36 a to a with a 7 inch brace height and it has been in blinds in the trees and spot and stalk. this year i am going to try out a different bow that is 35 1/2 inch a to a and 7 inch brace height. it's the magna tech from hoyt. i wanted to try something different but i will shoot both for 3d also
rob k

steve hilliard
July 2nd, 2002, 08:50 PM
depends on what you want to spend in your equiptment, i believe 36" axle to axle is the happy medium, i am happy with hoyt bows, im shooting a cybertech,shoots well for 3d, and great hunting bow, good luck