PDA

View Full Version : coyotes

gw183
January 6th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Does any one hunt coyotes? if so do you hunt them @ night or in the day thanks

soflanut
January 6th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I don't think there are coyotes here in Fl.

gw183
January 6th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Where do you live! I got a lot of them around I just didn,t get the time to hunt them yet. but I will

gw183
January 6th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Where do you live! I got a lot of them around over on the westcoast. I just didn,t get the time to hunt them yet. but I will.I may be the first to kill one here lol

QuickReflex
January 6th, 2010, 08:57 PM
No coyotes, Really well then Ive been shooting somebodys feral dogs that resemble coyotes.

I hunt them @ dawn & dusk seems to be the best times around here , although I have shot a few in the middle of the day but just because they walked within range , not calling.

gw183
January 10th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Do you use a Ecall or mouth call and do you hunt the in the woods or out in the field? whats better down this way. luv them feral dogs lol

QuickReflex
January 10th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Just a mouth call, would like to try a elect. but never spent the $$ for it.

JPizzle
January 12th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Now that the season ended, I am going to try and wack the few that come by my feeders. I dowloaded some stuff to play on my ipod with a little speaker so I am into a ecall for around $20.

QuickReflex
January 12th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Now that the season ended, I am going to try and wack the few that come by my feeders. I dowloaded some stuff to play on my ipod with a little speaker so I am into a ecall for around $20.

Hey I didnt think of that, thats a heck of a Idea. this site just keeps paying off.

Did you get one this yr.?

JPizzle
January 13th, 2010, 10:04 AM
I didnt hunt all that hard this year. I have fortunately been really busy the past few months and trying to get a CO before Christmas basically took away all my vacation time from Thanksgiving on. I could have easily shot my Naples buck but he isnt out of velvet yet and Ireally wanted to see how big he got. I had a chance at a nice one at our lease but he looked like a huge 8 but when he turned he had just one long 10" spike with two stickers on the left. Neat looking deer but we have an 8 point rule. Didnt know we had maangement tags till later or I would have blasted him. Here is a pic of the velvet buck and then also the smaller 8 that I want to give another year.

aubowman
January 13th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Here in NW Fl. we are covered up with them. I've tried to hunt them once or twice but did not have any success. Now I just watch for them when I'm hunting.

OutlawBiz
January 13th, 2010, 11:38 AM
I prefer to hunt them at night. We hunt coyotes pretty regularly in the Winter months. Was just out the other night from 7:00pm - 3:00am chasing 'yotes!

We have the best luck hunting at night under a full (or close to) moon. The full moon helps TREMENDOUSLY.Not only gets the yote moving (they can see better), it helps the hunter see the yotes better when they come into the call.

We use a FoxPro electronic call. We've found that the "pup in distress" call seems to get the most response from other yotes.

At night predators are more "comfortable" and confident than during the daylight hours. They are MUCH more likely to come in close to a call at night than in the day.

We've found that ice-sets work the best for us here in S.D. in the Winter. We set the call out on the frozen slough / pond and then hide ourselves along the edge inthe weeds / cattails. Once that yote gets ont he ice they feel comfortable and safe as they are surrounded ny tall cattails and they come running right at the call. By the time they figure out that it is a trap...they are either laying on the ground or are trying their damndest to get enough traction under their feet on the ice to get off the ice and gives us a few extra seconds to put some lead in them.

Daytime works too...the first couple days after a snowstorm or extremely cold days is best. During the extreme cold / snow...they hunker down just liek we stay at home. Then, once it warms and the snow quits flying...they are out on the ove looking for food and will respond better to a call.

QuickReflex
January 13th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I didnt hunt all that hard this year. I have fortunately been really busy the past few months and trying to get a CO before Christmas basically took away all my vacation time from Thanksgiving on. I could have easily shot my Naples buck but he isnt out of velvet yet and Ireally wanted to see how big he got. I had a chance at a nice one at our lease but he looked like a huge 8 but when he turned he had just one long 10" spike with two stickers on the left. Neat looking deer but we have an 8 point rule. Didnt know we had maangement tags till later or I would have blasted him. Here is a pic of the velvet buck and then also the smaller 8 that I want to give another year.

Id let the 8 go a couple more yrs he's got good potential, that velvet buck is a shooter now he's nice I love those tall boys.

I shot 2 this year both were 9pts the larger one is the posted one the other my buddys got on his cammera as my batts were dead.

what are you feeding to get them on feeders here ours wont touch corn turkey & hogs no problem but deer wont eat it or at least my cammeras have never got a pic. of a buck on a feeder.

JPizzle
January 13th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Corn only and they come daily. There is really no other browse in the area and no hogs or turkeys so nothing to compete for food. There is absolutey no hunting pressure in the area. The only sound they hear is the golfers teeing off and lawn mowers so I am sure that helps. I wish I could have got the tall one as he is mature but the season ended Sunday and I just wasnt 100% sure I wanted to shoot as I wanted to see him full grown out of curiousity. I saw the one 9, he was really nice and look forward to seeing the other. I am trying to find another little honey hole to hunt for next year so if you hear of anybody with a 100 acres or so for bow only let me know.

OutlawBiz
January 13th, 2010, 11:43 PM
What am I missing here!? What are you 2 talking about letting 8 & 9 pointers grow up, bucks in velvet...deer feeders and what kind of feed to put in them!?

I thought this post was about hunting coyotes!?:confused:

:focus:

12bhunting
January 14th, 2010, 08:33 PM
i hunt them at night with a rifle and spot light. plenty of them here

QuickReflex
January 15th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Corn only and they come daily. There is really no other browse in the area and no hogs or turkeys so nothing to compete for food. There is absolutey no hunting pressure in the area. The only sound they hear is the golfers teeing off and lawn mowers so I am sure that helps. I wish I could have got the tall one as he is mature but the season ended Sunday and I just wasnt 100% sure I wanted to shoot as I wanted to see him full grown out of curiousity. I saw the one 9, he was really nice and look forward to seeing the other. I am trying to find another little honey hole to hunt for next year so if you hear of anybody with a 100 acres or so for bow only let me know.

We got alot of farms around I guess that they a\have other things to eat they like better than corn. But Ill keep my eye out for a honey hole, if you hear of something & need a partner keep me in mind, im always up for new spots.

OUTLAWBIZ; dont get your panties in a wad, calm down its all good. Your gonna peg out if you dont chill. Just us S. Fl. boys ketching up a bit its all right.

JPizzle
January 16th, 2010, 06:38 PM
will do. I have a few leads and am working on them for next season. We do alot of country club work so i am trying to work that angle. Are you on an Lykes or Alico lease?

QuickReflex
January 16th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Neither, Im on Collier land just South of Immokolee. Its 2300 acres but I share it with 4 other guys, but If I sneak away during the week its all mine.
Two of them rarely hunt 1 other is a wannabe.

JPizzle
January 17th, 2010, 03:06 PM
PM sent

1justright
January 21st, 2010, 12:26 PM
I need help on how to kill them they are so thick around my house. i live in St. Augustine and I have a pack of 6-7. I killed one on Thanksgiving but the deer movement has come to a hault around here.

soflanut
January 21st, 2010, 02:32 PM
There's coyotes if Florida - why didn't I know this? :confused:

aubowman
January 21st, 2010, 03:31 PM
I was told to get old cooking oil from a restuant and get some sponges, cut them up and soak them in the oil. Then just put them out. They will eat the sponge and run off and die. I guy did this on his lease and he said he hasn't see or heard one since.

OutlawBiz
January 21st, 2010, 03:52 PM
I was told to get old cooking oil from a restuant and get some sponges, cut them up and soak them in the oil. Then just put them out. They will eat the sponge and run off and die. I guy did this on his lease and he said he hasn't see or heard one since.

:eek: Seems a bit "cruel" doesn't it!? What if a neighboring farm dog found and ate that same delicious sponge. I don't know about you...but I'd feel pretty crappy if I caused someones pet to die becasue I was too lazy to spend the time hunting the predators properly. :pukey:

Besides...there is such a HUGE rush of adrenaline and excitement when a yote comes screamig in on your distress call and you get the chance to shoot it in a sportsman-like way.

Just my $0.02...hustle over to McDonalds if you want...I'll stick to my .223 for yote control! :uzi:

aubowman
January 25th, 2010, 09:30 AM
:eek: Seems a bit "cruel" doesn't it!? What if a neighboring farm dog found and ate that same delicious sponge. I don't know about you...but I'd feel pretty crappy if I caused someones pet to die becasue I was too lazy to spend the time hunting the predators properly. :pukey:

Besides...there is such a HUGE rush of adrenaline and excitement when a yote comes screamig in on your distress call and you get the chance to shoot it in a sportsman-like way.

Just my $0.02...hustle over to McDonalds if you want...I'll stick to my .223 for yote control! :uzi:

I was telling the man what I had heard. I have done neither, I try to shot them when I see them. If you like shooting them come on down I got enough for everyone on my property. You can shoot until your heart is content. Heard a large pack last night.

gw183
February 14th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I use a mouth and a ecall I put a mojo critter 20yds out and sit still .give it a try its lots of fun and if they run in at the mojo its a rush like no other

Oldhoytman
March 9th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I don't think there are coyotes here in Fl.

Sure ain't any in down town Lauderdale but in Orlando ther was one living in the area of the Executive Airport.