PDA

View Full Version : thinking of moving to florida

daweasel
January 7th, 2010, 06:22 PM
I was just wondering how the hunting is around miami .My jobis forcin me to make a move this sept. and my 2 biggest choices are texas or florida. I thnk florida has more public hunting areas. just wondering if I WAS right

QuickReflex
January 7th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Fla. might have more public land than TX IDK, but TX probably has more game per acre than Fla. + alot of our land is hard to hunt as its covered by water alot of the time.

Not trying to discourage you from the move just trying to give you alittle Info
that they dont put in a travel flyer.

Rice rocket
January 7th, 2010, 08:38 PM
There is a reason so many Florida hunters take a trip to Texas to hunt

grizzl
January 7th, 2010, 10:39 PM
I was just wondering how the hunting is around miami .My jobis forcin me to make a move this sept. and my 2 biggest choices are texas or florida. I thnk florida has more public hunting areas. just wondering if I WAS right

I just LEFT Texas to go to Florida because of hunting. Expect to pay 2500 a year to hunt a 1/2 acre baited area if you go to Texas...or hunt the Corbit..Big Ben public areas.

In Florida a good lease is $1500 free range hunt vs Baited stands. Plus I go 5-10 hrs north to Georgia up to Virginia for MOuntain hunting.

Personally I travel to Northern Virginia and hunt public land for less than a lease and just sacrifice 1 days travel to hunt GREAT PUBLIC LAND...Pope and Young Stuff.

Stay AWAY from Texas unless you like hunting over bait/feeding stations ...

scott26
January 9th, 2010, 11:42 AM
The only place in Florida you can find a good lease for 1500$ is north Florida, no where near Miami. South Florida is overcrowded and because of the abundance of people willing to pay, leases are crazy expensive.

Public land however you do have options. But keep in mind again due to the amount of people and hunters public land is crowded. The best WMA's are also by lottery/draw. If you are willing to work, wade through swamps, fight the skeeters, etc... south Florida is a rewarding place to hunt. Big Cypress Swamp WMA for example is about an hour or so from Miami and hard to hunt but the scenery is incredible and any deer you bag is a trophy (though not in size.)

Dont want to discourage your move but south Florida is what it is.

completepassthru
January 9th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Go to Texas it is the only state left in America where you can still live like an American used to live. They stand for the right to bear arms and do not put up with criminals. Texas is really the OLD U.S.A

I guess i got off track but i would move to Texas. Both climates are hot but Texas has bigger deer.

daweasel
January 9th, 2010, 02:23 PM
thanks guys for the info I guess Im spoiled here in wisconsn theres plenty ofpublic land to hunt ad a lot of rivate land to hut just for the askng.

grizzl
January 9th, 2010, 04:50 PM
thanks guys for the info I guess Im spoiled here in wisconsn theres plenty ofpublic land to hunt ad a lot of rivate land to hut just for the askng.

I'm planning a trip to Buffalo County (Big Swamp, Spring VAlley) this fall! Got friends in Wisconsin w/ land. Great place to hunt B&C animals. If you hunt Wisconsin, you'd hate Texas...

From Florida..lots of public/National forest lands withing 6-8hrs drive with good hunting. Appalachian Mountain Range w/Nation forests...and of course Ocala Nat Forest in Central Florida is there but you share the woods with ATV enthusiasts...not allot of solitude

FredGarvin
January 12th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Go to Texas it is the only state left in America where you can still live like an American used to live. They stand for the right to bear arms and do not put up with criminals. Texas is really the OLD U.S.A

I guess i got off track but i would move to Texas. Both climates are hot but Texas has bigger deer.

Florida has great firearms and self defense laws. Concealed Carry Permits available, and we have the Castle Doctrine.

As far as hunting:

1. Lots of public land available.

2. The quota permit system seems to be fair, and for many WMA's will only pertain to the first weekend/week of the season. That is, there is plenty of public land available where you do NOT need a quota permit to hunt.

3. I just finished reading the proposed changes for the 2010-2011 season: they are extending the total season from 116 days to 128 days. ;)

http://myfwc.com/docs/RecreationActivities/deer_zonesummary_20091030.pdf

4. There are low hunter numbers during the Archery, Muzzleloader & Spring Turkey. I really don't hunt much during the General Gun because of the crowds and I just dig the Archery thing.

5. Miami will put you in proximity to several hundred thousands of acres of public land (Big Cypress is over 500,000ac).

What I did: buy an inexpensive camper and leave it out at a WMA in the Central region. I can drive there in about 3hrs, plus I can hunt the closer WMA's when I want. I think I paid $300 for my camper and have used it 5 seasons now with minimal $ put into it (I re-paneled the back wall and built a new bunk last season for like $30). It's a great weekend geta'way, plus gives me a chance to meet up with friends and family on the east coast.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii135/jamesfreddyc/camper1-1.jpg

6. From what I understand, Texas is the complete opposite: not much public land available. Not sure, but that's my impression --- have a look at the Texas DNR/Wildlife website for verification.

7. Archery season in the Central and South Zones (I'm talkin' Florida again here) is going to be wet. It's flippin' hot, lots and lots of mosquitos, but hey it's a dagum' swamp. I love it. It's because of those things I just mentioned that opens up thousands of acres to me without the pressure because most people don't like to hunt in these conditions.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii135/jamesfreddyc/Cypress20Swamp200004.jpg

7a. Keeping hydrated, a good set of 18" rubber boots, a BugTamer Jacket, a ThermaCell, and an extra shirt brought along to the stand works just fine and keeps me PLENTY comfortable enough to sit and hunt.

7b. A unique benefit when hunting cypress swamps is that more often than not, you will have a sound advantage. that is, you will hear game moving/walking long before you see it. So, with good stand locations, come more/better shot opportunities.

8. Bigger deer are probably not going to be found here in large numbers. The soils are simply too poor for supporting large bodied, large antlered deer. However, there are some very fine deer taken each year on public land.

8a. To be perfectly honest, I could care less about the size of the animal: I know what to expect, and a trophy is what you make of it. But this is just me and to each his own, I simply find more reward in the effort to locate, pattern, and take game (hogs, deer and turkey) on public land than any other situation. But what tops it most for me personally, is getting a family member or friend into the mix as the product of all the effort I put into it during the off season.

grizzl
January 12th, 2010, 10:41 PM
The bitter cold has put sea turtles in mortal danger. They go comotose. Lots of volunteers are trying to save as many as possible. We're collecting storing treating the shipping them below the frost line or to Disney,Seaword, Marineland.

Wed is the probbaly the last day but lots of us are burn't out. Any help is appreciated.

If interested Contact Wildlife Refuge on Rt 405 and get a volunteer pass..We start at 9AM and run till its done

Any Herp guys like me..it may be the only chance ya get to handle these guys!!!

Just posted an Album for the operations on my page

AND I made some friends and got SOME GREAT CONTACTS for this hunting season from fellow volunteers!!!

daweasel
January 13th, 2010, 04:44 PM
fred thanks for the info. I ve been told the wish lists will be out in july. I'll have to see whats on them thanks for the great info. I dont care about size I just like to get out and hunt and love the flavors of wild game.

FredGarvin
January 13th, 2010, 06:42 PM
fred thanks for the info. I ve been told the wish lists will be out in july. I'll have to see whats on them thanks for the great info. I dont care about size I just like to get out and hunt and love the flavors of wild game.

There's other considerations to think about too: like AMAZING fishing opportunities. I stick mostly to inshore/flats fishing (18' flats boat skiff), but it's very similar to bass fishing (just bigger fish) -- basically around here in Charlotte Harbor it's using the trolling motor and casting artificials along mangrove shorlines. Lots of snook, tarpon, redfish, etc...

I live on the water so it's great to just jump into the boat and head on out, but I also trailer it around too. We hit the keys (lobster diving/fishing/fun), sebastian(camping/snook/claming), and palm beach county(family/friends/partying) often with the boat in-tow.

Basically wherever you might live, Florida is a sportsmans paradise. :D

Good luck to ya!