PDA

View Full Version : Hickory Self Bow...with some character



huntersteve
January 11th, 2010, 07:07 AM
well....after building and breaking a fair amount of board bows I decided it was time to give a self bow a try...I had split a bunch of staves out over a year ago....but failed to treat them to prevent insect damage...lost most of them...but salvaged a few....here are some pics....notice that I have one nasty knot that I'm working around....if/when this bow fails...this is probably where it will happen.....

huntersteve
January 11th, 2010, 07:09 AM
More pics....

huntersteve
January 11th, 2010, 07:12 AM
and more....

huntersteve
January 11th, 2010, 07:13 AM
more...

vanattab
January 11th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I am intrestend to know how you work around and with knots. I have some boards that with knots that I would like to see turned in to bows. I was just wondering if there are any big considerations when dealing if knots if so please take pics if you can.
Thanks!

Alex

huntersteve
January 11th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I just came in from working on this bow...and the knot is my major concern right now....I've got the stave floor tillered....bending about 4-6 inches....but you can tell that the limb with the knot is a lot more stiff than the other....I've read that you need to leave plenty of wood around the knot to support it.....and I think I've read where some people drill out the knot and fill it with super glue to strengthen it more.....this knot has a hole all the way through it....before I go any further I may go and visit some of the guy's over on Primitive Archer to see what they recommend....I just don't have a lot of experiance with knots and self bows..Steve

huntersteve
January 11th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Alex...one thing I do know is that you should do is follow the grain lines around the knot when you cut out your limbs....don't just cut a straight line thru the knot/area....that's why the rounded area on the sides of the stave..here are a few close-up oics of the knot from different angles...Steve

huntersteve
January 13th, 2010, 06:04 AM
started with the long string....worked on the tiller some more today.... 4 inches of bend in the pics....I filled the knot holes with super glue and sawdust.... here are some pics.....Steve

huntersteve
January 14th, 2010, 08:50 AM
well I worked on Ole Knotty some more...so far so good....here's a pic.....

huntersteve
January 14th, 2010, 08:52 AM
But then......this is what happens when you get carried away with a scraper....now I have a bad hinge between the Knot and limb tip....I was trying to get the limb bending more,closer to the knot....bad judgement on where to scrape on my part....Steve

RunsUpRiver
January 17th, 2010, 03:40 AM
Very interesting!
Dean