PDA

View Full Version : Buck chasing doe in Jan?

talon1961
January 12th, 2010, 10:30 PM
On my bus route this pm I saw 4 doe cross the road and right behind them was a buck. He was dogging one of the does everywhere across the field. I thought is was much too late for this? Do you think she was born late in the spring/summer and just now is coming into season for the first time, or maybe wasn't bred the first or second time around? Several hunting buddies are now starting to see lots of bucks for the first time in a long time. I hope one of them make it in front of my stand this weekend.

jna329
January 13th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I just read an article on just such a topic. Sometimes young does will not come in until 28 days after the 2nd breeding cycle. Usually it is the first cycle of the young doe.(1st time in ). It is somewhat rare but given the number of does that our state has I would say anything is possible.

warrenpeace
January 13th, 2010, 04:13 PM
When I lived in Arkansas up until 1980, they very rarely had a doe season. Even when the state would we always hunted Chaffee lived in Mansfield and Chaffee would not allow you to take doe. Always see lots of them very few bucks. Although I did get my first deer on Chaffee a 8 pointer with a 410 shotgun slug. I was 11 at the time. That was a rush, except for the fact I killed it so I drug it. The thing ran about 200 yards away from the truck of course in some of the thickest brush I have ever been it. I was worn out by the time I got it to the truck. My dad would not even carry my 410 for me. But the next day when he got one I had to carry his and my uncle who helped my dad drag his 30 30's. You know what though did not really care I was hunting with my dad and uncle.

justinduke
January 14th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Does should come into heat every 28 days until bred. It is a good idea to keep your doe herd in check for a couple of reasons. Bucks will run themselves down when you have multiple ruts causing smaller body weights and fawns will be born really late in the year causing a late start for them.

swampboss
January 14th, 2010, 10:20 PM
"Third rut". If you see a lot of it your area must have a bad buck to do ratio.
This is why you sometimes see small spotted fawns in October