PDA

View Full Version : Any Turkey scouting

JPizzle
January 27th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Any one been in the woods scouting turkeys. I start my early morning bike rides this weekend. Hopefully I can get on them this spring in the cypress as it was so dry last year.

Duckbill
January 28th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I've got an opening weekend permit for Baird Unit. I've done a couple of hog hunt/turkey scout trips. I've found some good gobbler tracks already.
The tough part is watching all of the bucks running around. They rut in January out there.

QuickReflex
January 29th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Was going tomarrow but the lease caught fire today & burned about 800acres of prime turkey habitat sooo we'll see how it works out. going in AM to ck out the damage I know 2 feeders & 3 stands were in the path, all were purchased or built this year. But fire can be a good thing so Im hoping for the best.

JPizzle
January 30th, 2010, 10:56 AM
The turkeys will be in the burned area while it is still smoldering. If we get some rain the next few weeks, those fresh green sprouts will draw all kinds of deer and turkeys in.

I was out this morning an hour before daylight walking around hooting. Didnt hear a single yelp. Still alot of water on the ground so hopefully iy drys up some.

QuickReflex
January 30th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Drove through the lease today, lost 4 stands 2 feeders & 1 cammera. However on the bright side I saw 4 mature gobblers & one of the DOF guys said he saw a flock just north of where I saw the 4 so it still looks promising.
I moved 2 hog feeders to my turkey feeder locations & life is good.
Ive got a few months now to build new stands & with the new roads that the dozers pushed in Ive got some new stand sites to boot,not to mention the thinned underbrush. I lost some equipment but It may be a decent tradeoff.

JPizzle
January 31st, 2010, 08:59 PM
I know you build the conduit ladders but Dicks has their basic 15' ladders on sale for $49. Give the burned areatime some area and you will be really happy.

QuickReflex
January 31st, 2010, 09:54 PM
Yea , I wanted to do a controled burn for a couple yrs , it really needed this . I just would have prefered not to loose equipment in the process, but like I said its a trade off I guess. Im looking to the future & forget the past that cannot be changed. Im gonna drop my loader off there in a couple weeks & clear out some of the new access roads it should be a good season as the sancuary was saved but everything burned right up to it, this might be really good if I play it right.

aubowman
February 1st, 2010, 11:12 AM
I've seen a plenty of hens. Only spots gobblers once in the last several weeks and there were 8 of them. Here in the panhandle we are still hunting deer with Turkey coming in later. These are just my early siting of them.

JPizzle
February 1st, 2010, 01:30 PM
My dad said he saw some nice gobblers this weekend at our lease. I will be up there this weekend to do some scouting and hopefully shoot a few hogs with my father in law. I am trying to get on them down here as the South opens the 6th and then head to CFL for their opener on the 20th.

Quick,
Now would be a good time to try and plant some rye or something as the ground is gut down and with this rain. WOuld green up and then give you a place to try and plant something this summer.

QuickReflex
February 2nd, 2010, 08:28 AM
rained good yesterday hope we continue to get a little here & there till march.
Tried the planting thing a few yrs ago but we never know when they will dowse us in cows , usually right as things a growing good then the cows come & tear it up.

After the full moon this month they should get to gobblin hard. Cant wait!

JPizzle
February 9th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Any scouting. I took my Father in law and both brother in laws for a hog hunt this weekend. Shot 6, rifle and pistol kills.

DIdnt get up early to listen for the birds but did see them in their normal hangouts during the mid morning times. A few average bobblers (7-9") but didnt really glass for them that much or look for the boss toms.
Going to hopefully scout the cypress this weekend around the valentines schedule.

QuickReflex
February 28th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Went out today found two diff. groups 2 in 1st group strutting along with 1 more young bird about 8 inch beard. Second group had several young jakes along with 1 very mature gobbler , he will be my target come next wkend.
good luck to you all. They were with hens, but they got fired up pretty quick.
I can hardly wait, I love this time of year.

JPizzle
March 1st, 2010, 11:48 AM
Havent heard a peep yet. Still alot of water on the ground where I am at and decently cold. If it were to warm up this week I think it would be good but I heard there is rain coming.

Rd Fox
March 10th, 2010, 06:41 PM
do any of you guys have any picayune strand turkey spots that you would share w/ me? I have a quota permit for this weekend's hunt, but I haven't really done my homework. (i know, i know).

Last weekend I went out to big cypress and heard a lot of gobbles, but in PS I haven't heard a thing. I saw three old gobblers during general gun last season but the area has been burned by the forestry dept. Set up there around 6 am last couple of days and haven't heard anything but the neighbor's rooster crowing.

Saw two more birds after deer season over by SR 951 entrance when I was out catching crawfish, but I think I'll try further east. Mostly looking at Miller Blvd b/c they started the everglades restoration project and I think a big area has been closed to hunting.

I am taking my next door neighbor hunting with me on the quota permit and I would really like to get close to some birds, as he has kept me in smoked mullet all winter.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.