PDA

View Full Version : Goals for making a difference

jna329
February 9th, 2010, 09:36 PM
This is only a start. I encourage feedback on this and look forward to suggestions on how to make this better. I put it in the name poll but not getting enough feedback so here is what I have come up with.

Our primary goal is to create an open forum, for any and all Arkansas whitetail hunters, to have positive input on all aspects of whitetail management and to implement changes that will be beneficial for the future of whitetail hunting in Arkansas. We would like to create an open, interactive line of communication between all persons that share concerns about Arkansas whitetail and AGFC and other organizations. Land management(public and private), herd health and nutrition, and rule and regulation changes and enforcements will be, but will not be limited too, the primary subjects that we intend to improve and protect. Participation of any and all persons is (with a legitimate concerns to have their concerns, praises, or questions heard and acted upon) is highly recommended. We intend to examine each proposal, in order to find the best course of action to open the lines of communication that will lead to positive change in each and every area/subject.

Lets get this worked over so it best suits ALL of our interest, so that we can get started on making some positive changes for the future.

AR_Headhunter
February 9th, 2010, 09:45 PM
It's a bit late for me to do much writing Jeff but I'll put something on paper so to speak tomorrow. After all I'm snowed in & not going anywhere. LOL

AR_Headhunter
February 10th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Jeff
I made some changes to your suggestion of a mission statement. I would like to encourage everyone to read over this & make changes as you see fit.

Our primary goal is to create an Organization for all Arkansas whitetail hunters, who are concerned with deer management to have positive input on all aspects of whitetail management and implementation of changes that will be beneficial for the future of whitetail hunting in Arkansas. We would like to create an open, interactive line of communication between all persons that share concerns about Arkansas whitetail management with the AGFC and other organizations.

Our primary concerns are herd health and nutrition, land management concerns (public and private), & rule and regulation changes that would be beneficial to improve and protect the herd health & provide maximum benefit to Arkansas sportsmen . We also encourage all sportsmen to comply with all AGFC regulations & assist wildlife officers in any way possible to curtail poaching across the state.

Participation of any and all persons is highly recommended. We intend to examine each proposal, in order to find the best course of action to open the lines of communication that will lead to positive change in every area/subject related to improvement of whitetail herd health issues, maximum benefit for responsible hunters & enforcement of game laws.

bigdoglanyards
February 10th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Jeff
I made some changes to your suggestion of a mission statement. I would like to encourage everyone to read over this & make changes as you see fit.

Our primary goal is to create an Organization for all Arkansas whitetail hunters, who are concerned with deer management to have positive input on all aspects of whitetail management and implementation of changes that will be beneficial for the future of whitetail hunting in Arkansas. We would like to create an open, interactive line of communication between all persons that share concerns about Arkansas whitetail management with the AGFC and other organizations.

Our primary concerns are herd health and nutrition, land management concerns (public and private), & rule and regulation changes that would be beneficial to improve and protect the herd health & provide maximum benefit to Arkansas sportsmen . We also encourage all sportsmen to comply with all AGFC regulations & assist wildlife officers in any way possible to curtail poaching across the state.

Participation of any and all persons is highly recommended. We intend to examine each proposal, in order to find the best course of action to open the lines of communication that will lead to positive change in every area/subject related to improvement of whitetail herd health issues, maximum benefit for responsible hunters & enforcement of game laws.

I dont have a lot to add, but I would like to put something in the primary concerns paragraph about educating the general public and future generations on all the principals or values that we as a group "or we as stewards for lack of a better word" hold important to the future of the whitetail population in our state.

I dont think that we as hunters can ever pass on an opritunity to educate the masses so to speak, especially not the younger generation.

Bo

AR_Headhunter
February 10th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I dont have a lot to add, but I would like to put something in the primary concerns paragraph about educating the general public and future generations on all the principals or values that we as a group "or we as stewards for lack of a better word" hold important to the future of the whitetail population in our state.

I dont think that we as hunters can ever pass on an opritunity to educate the masses so to speak, especially not the younger generation.

Bo
Great post!
You hit on something I have been thinking a lot about Bo. I would like to see us as a organization try to focus on educating youth about the benefits of a properly managed deer herd. Thats where we will make a big difference IMO. If we educate our young hunters early then we make a lot of progress over time because those hunters educate others & it is kind of a snow ball effect.

bigdoglanyards
February 10th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Not just the youth but the general public too. I am amazed by the number of hunters that I encounter that are only concerned with "killing a buck". Many people dont understand the importance of taking does or anything that has to do with deer management! Knowledge is power baby and the more you know the more you grow! Educating the "general public" may do as much for the cause as anything...

squirrelshooter
February 10th, 2010, 11:20 PM
This is, in my mind, the correct path to be heading down. I for one, appreciate the work and thought that y'all have been putting into this.

jna329
February 10th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Not just the youth but the general public too. I am amazed by the number of hunters that I encounter that are only concerned with "killing a buck". Many people dont understand the importance of taking does or anything that has to do with deer management! Knowledge is power baby and the more you know the more you grow! Educating the "general public" may do as much for the cause as anything...Something that I forgot! Thanks for the reminder. I feel that education is probably the most important factor of all.

This is, in my mind, the correct path to be heading down. I for one, appreciate the work and thought that y'all have been putting into this. Thanks - make sure you let us know if you have any ideas or changes to ours.

limbhanger25
February 11th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Ok...back to the non-profit. I think this needs to be in place as soon as the mission statement and agenda are in order. That way we can begin recruiting members and even lobbyist. Signed petitions and a HUGE turn out of members at a Game and Fish open venue meeting. Membership dues will fund the fight. I def think the mission and agenda need to be presented as an "Over Time" change. I will say that the hunting public will have to be conditioned to such change. It may take 15 years to get completely in place. I think we should also not overlook Democracy. I feel the hunting public should be able to vote on the changes.

AR_Headhunter
February 11th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Limbhanger
Have you voted in the name thread? & is 1 of those names suitable in your opinion?

I agree with you on getting this moving forward ASAP. The faster we get the ground work laid then the faster we can begin to do things which will actually make a difference. Everyone should also understand that for this to be implemented & make the difference that we are wanting then we will have to all make our best efforts to move this forward & make it a sustained effort in several different area's.

As soon as we decide on the name & mission statement then I'm pretty sure Bo with begin development of our web page. Correct me if I'm wrong Bo!

As it stands now it's looking like Arkansas Whitetail Stewards is going to win the vote by a large margin.

As it stands now our mission statement would read something like this.

We also encourage education of the public to the benefits of practicing quality deer management on a large scale & the rewards to Arkansas sportsmen & the public in general in greater enjoyment of the outdoors.

Guys I threw that last part together rather quickly & encourage any one of you to rewrite it if you think it should be worded differently.

One last thing I really think we should encompass in our mission statement is our backing of private property owners rights. This is something that will hit home with many people who are landowners across the state & have problems with trespassing & also let people know that we are not trying to infringe upon their property rights with our goals. There will be those who say that is unnecessary but I promise you that without a statement like that in our mission statement that issue will arise. I have not figured out exactly how to word it yet but as soon as I do then I'll draw up a short draft on it.

I am going to try to make it out this morning while the ground is still froze & I'll return ASAP & begin working on a final draft for our mission statement.

I am going to touch on one last issue before I head out because I think it needs clarification. My views on deer dogs are this. I do not have a problem with deer dogs when they are used where legal & kept off neighboring properties where they are not wanted. I do however have a huge problem with them when those 2 basic rules are not followed. Here in my area we have a huge problem & I'm going to copy & paste my post on the AGFC board which explains that issue in detail.
I also believe we need a area on this forum where we can address issues that need to be looked at by the AGFC.
We have a huge problem with illegal dog runners here. They state because zone 6 is technically open to deer dogs then they have the right to run them inside the ONF. As everyone knows the ONF is closed to deer dogs. We need this to be clarified by the AGFC. With the vast majority of zone 6 (appox. 80%) being ONF lands or inholdings that must follow the same regulations as the WMA it makes no sense for zone 6 to be a open to deer dogs.
Below is a quote of why the AGFC closed certain zones to deer dogs.
"The zones where chasing deer with dogs is prohibited are primarily in the mountainous areas in northern Arkansas and agricultural areas with large fields and small woodlots in eastern Arkansas . In the mountains, deer have regular crossings that have been used for many years, and it's relatively easy for a hunter or group of hunters to cut off the escape route for deer running along a particular ridge or hollow."
I think everyone can both agree that the vast majority of zone 6 falls into the category of mountainous habitat. This creates a climate where dog hunters can easily cut off the escape routes of deer fleeing dogs. When you combine that with all the problems of trespassing, road hunting, etc. that goes along with unethical dog hunting then it would seem to me that it would only make sense to close zone 6 to deer dogs. There are a good number of in holders like myself, inside the boundary of the ONF who are making improvements which benefit the surrounding deer herd on public land. This not only benefits us but everyone who hunts the surrounding lands as well. This creates another problem because we are targeted by illegal dog runners because they know their dogs can run game off our property & they kill it on neighboring public property. Let me say that I have no objections to anyone taking a deer while following the regulations in place. What I am referring to here is not legal or ethical hunters by any stretch of the imagination. There are several times a year when my local unethical dog runners run their dogs across mine & my neighbors property because they know we all try to manage our deer herd. Many of us up here let our property become sanctuary area's because the surrounding public lands are pressured so heavily. This benefits the herd in several ways which most am sure your aware of.
We are moving into a new era in Arkansas when it comes to the management of wildlife. There are a very large number of ethical hunters across the state who know that with proper management our deer herd could rival anywhere in the country & could provide a greater level of enjoyment for our outdoors men. However to obtain that we need the backing of the AGFC. We need to close loopholes in the regulations like the one I outlined above. The management of our wildlife is a joint venture between the AGFC & the sportsmen of this state. Many of our sportsmen are getting on board & doing their part in helping to do whats best for our wildlife. I would truly like to see the AGFC help those of us who are trying to benefit all hunters by addressing issues like the one I have outlined.

Now if you do not agree with my views on the use of deer dogs then say so & we will work through it.

bigdoglanyards
February 11th, 2010, 12:19 PM
I don't think that it matters if anyone agrees or disagrees with your views on the deer dogs Jack, IMHO we all need to have diverse opinions and ideas in order to make this work. Poeple cut others for having an "agenda" I say more power to them. People with agendas are motivated and motivation is what is needed in order to make a difference. Diversity and agendas are what drive change, complacency is the reason that we have the problems in the first place. I am not trying to piss any one off, I belive the key to the whole thing is to recognize everyones agendas and then as a group decide what is best corse of action for our future. Everyones opinions matter and should be taken into consideration when deciding what area we want to tackle first. I truely belive that we all have the future in our best interest just not everyone has the same reasons. Jack you have stated that you are a trophy hunter and I respect that, I am a meat hunter and yet we both understand what importance management holds for our own purpose.

bigdoglanyards
February 11th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Oh, and as far as the web page is concerned I will have to talk to my son and see if he has time to start working on it. I don't think that it will be a problem at all. You guys are doing a great job with the mission statement!

:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

AR_Headhunter
February 11th, 2010, 12:37 PM
My final draft of our mission statement. I would like for everyone to read this & provide feedback. If you see or do not see something you feel we need to address please let me know.

We also recognize private property owners rights & will will work to preserve, protect, & enhance those rights as it relates to wildlife management issues.

AR_Headhunter
February 11th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Guys several of you are fixing to get a important PM from me regarding something we can do to help us in our mission. I ask that you reply to that PM to discuss the information contained in there.

AR_Headhunter
February 11th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Revision I forgot out education goals. I would like for everyone to read this & provide feedback. If you see or do not see something you feel we need to address please let me know.

Our primary goal is to create an Organization for all Arkansas whitetail hunters & concerned citizens, who are concerned with deer management to have positive input on all aspects of whitetail management and implementation of changes that will be beneficial for the future of whitetail hunting in Arkansas. We would like to create an open, interactive line of communication between all persons that share concerns about Arkansas whitetail management with the AGFC and other organizations.

Education of the public about our goals & the benefits to sportsmen & property owned of a properly managed deer herd. Also provide educational materials to people interested in managing their local herd for the optimum benefit of the herd & their outdoor experience.

We also recognize private property owners rights & will will work to preserve, protect, & enhance those rights as it relates to wildlife management issues.