PDA

View Full Version : snake boots

moezdee
February 13th, 2010, 08:12 PM
what type do you have, and which ones should i avoid? i ve heard rocky boots have a lot of problems, so i will avoid those. have you been bitten while wearing them?

trapper dan
February 14th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Never been bitten not even close not that I know of. Snake boots are some thing you buy for that one chance that it might happen. I recently got a pair of browning's that are working out real good. Stay away from the one's ( any brand ) with speed laces they will catch on every vine, palmetto or any thing else out there. They all have to be treated regularly to stay water proof so that won't be an issue in your choice. Good luck.

JPizzle
February 15th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I had a pair of Rocky's for years and they were great. They lasted about 5 years. When I went to get new ones, I heard the Rockys didnt have the same quality so I went with the Bass Pro side zip. They last about 6 months before they leak but they will take them back if it is within a year. I havent found a better solution. I might be trying the Cabelas brand to see how they last. I have heard that Lacrosse has a decent pair but I havent seen them in person. Bass Pro also came out with a pair of rubber boots that are snake proof and are not overly heave like the past styles so I might try them also.

I have only had one close encounter with a snake and my boots. He didnt strike but he defienetly could have. I am sure I could get away with not wearing them but when I walk in the woods in the pre-morning dark and I dont usually use a flashlight, it gives me the confidence that I dont worry about wet feet.

Trailhuntin1
February 15th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I have had two encounters with two different pairs of Rocky's. 1 with a western diamond back in Tx. and 1 with a Georgia Timber rattler. THEY WORKED!! Although im on my 4ft pair Rockys they have all leaked with in a couple seasons.

moezdee
February 15th, 2010, 04:01 PM
thanks for the replies. i am leaning towards a pull on boot ,seems it would take a while to lace some of those boots up, especialy in the dark.

MOvenatic
February 15th, 2010, 04:07 PM
You might also consider snake proof chaps as an alternative. Those boots can get expensive.

QuickReflex
February 17th, 2010, 10:07 PM
I just this past season bought the BPS rubber snake boots . They are very comfy even with long walks they have wide tops with gussest which is why I purchased them, they also hug your ankles tightly so theres no slipping in the mud, however this does pose a bit of a problem when you go to remove them from your feet. Be prepared for a fight , I about pulled my hamstring trying to get them off with thick socks, & its not much easier without socks completely.

JPizzle
February 18th, 2010, 09:03 AM
I am glad you like the rubber snake boots. I am going to pick up a pair.

floridabou3
February 18th, 2010, 09:58 PM
i had some rockys they was nice but my feet still got wet.

Slinging
February 21st, 2010, 08:29 PM
I have had a pair of redheads lace ups for years the work good the are old so they leak some didn't take care of them either but they weren't too expensive you can catch them on sale at bass pro for under 100

rigginuts
February 21st, 2010, 08:40 PM
I hunted in the Glades for many years. I remember my first pair of snake boots .. Chippewas, after the first hour I throwed them in the bushes and hunted the rest of the day barefoot. Went back and got um, cut the feet off and wore the top half on top of my sneakers.. Worked great

cptleo1
March 6th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Gaiters are the way to go.

Easier to use, cooler, keep your favorite boots, cheaper.

Have never heard of anybody getting bit on their foot.

I usually only use them hunting hogs with dogs.

When the action gets hot, you don't have time to watch where you put your feet.

These guys can hook you up:

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/drilldown_pages/view_category.asp?cat=903

Renegadehunter
March 8th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Chippewa's are the only way to go. they are quality, not cheapily made like the rest of them. will last you a lifetime. oh ya and they work.