PDA

View Full Version : Spring Turkey

jna329
February 13th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I havent Spring turkey hunted in several years. I intend to go this year (bow of course)and I was looking at the dates for the season. Is it just me or are the dates later than usual? I was thinking last week of March or 1st of April. I know 10 days difference isnt that much but just thinking that the whole state used to start more like zone 17 and 17a,b. Now its the 10th. Am I wrong or is this the normal dates for Arkansas? Like I said it has been a long time since I hunted spring turkey. Anyone have any information on this or am I wrong on my dates?

AR_Headhunter
February 13th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I know the Zone 17 fat cats always get the best dates for turkey. I've got birds but by the time the season starts for us normal folks it will be tough hunting. JMO

huntindad
February 13th, 2010, 10:44 PM
I was watching one of the turkey hunts we filmed from 2005 today, and we killed a bird on opening day, which was April 9th.

swampboss
February 14th, 2010, 11:10 AM
The AGFC pushed it back to "let some of the hens get bred" before the season starts in hope to increase the numbers. Personally I don't think this will help the numbers increase as much as controlling poachers. In my part of the state they are shot year round and many are shot during the deer season, hens included. I think it would help more if the AGFC would put out the fake turkey to bust the road turkey hunters like they do for deer.

AR_Headhunter
February 14th, 2010, 02:39 PM
The AGFC pushed it back to "let some of the hens get bred" before the season starts in hope to increase the numbers. Personally I don't think this will help the numbers increase as much as controlling poachers. In my part of the state they are shot year round and many are shot during the deer season, hens included. I think it would help more if the AGFC would put out the fake turkey to bust the road turkey hunters like they do for deer.

:amen:!

EagleI79
March 4th, 2010, 12:26 AM
If there is a season. I personally think that the AGFC is going "slowly" in the right direction. Increased Doe tags, and no turkeys for the fall season. From '04 through '08 Nothing but Does everywhere and small bucks. I used to preach "need to thin the Does" and "need more turkeys" well seems like that might happen. And I thought that the Turkey season this year was going to be short or something like that. Anyways I will be out there.

bigdoglanyards
March 4th, 2010, 09:57 AM
What part of the state is the turkey population hurting in?

talon1961
March 8th, 2010, 12:11 AM
With the warm weather this past week and the forcast is for more of the same, we should be able to hear some gobbling soon. I will be listening the next three weekends for sure. I've seen fewer turkeys this deer season than in the past 10 years where I live. I think its due to the flooded river bottoms last spring that lasted until about June. Again this fall, my normal "turkey hunting" spots along the Petit Jean River and Blue Mt. Lake were all underwater. I expect a little better hunting this year in the N. parts of the Ouachitas and in the White Rock areas of the Ozarks. I killed two the first week of season last spring and called in a few for friends, but they didn't get the job done. If we don't get a late freeze it should be a decent year, maybe a little tougher than I would like, but that's what makes turkey hunting fun.

gindog1
March 10th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I never been Turkey hunting. I hope I get a chances to go. I move to Fort Smith sometime ago. I'd be glad to go :wink: if anyone has a exter spot. I going to try to see if I can go by the Ar. river somewhere.

swampboss
March 28th, 2010, 01:21 PM
[QUOTE=gindog1;1057273171]I never been Turkey hunting. I hope I get a chances to go. I move to Fort Smith sometime ago. I'd be glad to go :wink: if anyone has a exter spot. I going to try to see if I can go by the Ar. river somewhere.[/QUOTY
I dont know what part of the AR river you plant to hunt . I would suggest doing some research on the counties that have a high number of kills reported that have national forest public hunting. Check out the agfc website.

talon1961
March 28th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Check out muddy creek wma. It's south of Fort Smith. Go to the AGFC site and look up info on WMA's. Fort Chaffee has some good turkey hunting, but most of it has been closed a lot lately. You would need a Chaffee sportsmans's permit and orientation class also. White Rock WMA north of Ozark is another really good turkey hunting area not too far from Fort Smith.