PDA

View Full Version : Rublines and scent

marshdog
September 24th, 2004, 07:48 AM
I have a question for you guys.

I just found a nice rubline running right past my stand. The buck laid down three nice rubs all inside of 20 yards of where my stand is at. Completely tore these trees up and it all happened within the last week. Big deep gouges in all three trees not to mention he shredded about a 2 foot length of bark.

Anyway my question is would it benefit me to hit these rubs with some forehead gland scent? Or is that a waste of time?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

marshdog
September 24th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Nobody has any idea???? I was hoping to get some answers because I would think it would work but at the same time, if I'm wrong I don't want to spook him out of the area

wildfowl
September 24th, 2004, 10:04 AM
I personally would leave well enough alone for first. If he is using it, he'll be there. If you hunt it for a couple days with no results, then I would juice it up. Doing something unnatural might spook him this early.

Just my thoughts.

JayMan
September 24th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Deer may or may not return to a rubbed tree. If there is a scrape along with the rub you have good odds he will return (although it may not be during the day). In this case I ussually leave well enough alone. However, sometimes adding some scent to an existing scrape can really piss off a buck and increase your odds of seeing him during the day. If there is not a scrape, I might do a mock scape either with no scent or some comercial buck urine. This is what makes hunting interesting. Everybody does it a little different. Good Luck

C-NOGLE
September 24th, 2004, 10:57 AM
leave it and hunt...if this spot is close to a field they may be rbbing the trees at night. Hunt it one morning and one evening without using the scent. If the rubs are re hit or new ones are made, but you don't see the deer on either hunt. Follow the rubs further into the woods and try and find another ambush spot.
Is it close to a field? or in the thick stuff, in between?

marshdog
September 24th, 2004, 12:18 PM
thats the problem. I'm hunting on a Nursery. THe owner wants me to help try and take care of his deer problem. These trees are his nursery stock. He is really pissed about it. Anyway, the problem is there really isn't much in the way of actual "woods" to hunt. Mostly I will be setting up in the fence rows. I know where the deer come on and off his property. It's 40 acres.

Everyday he calls me and tells me "I'm looking at 7 doe outside my bedroom window right now" or "I'm standing here looking at a spike buck"

I know there is deer movement on his property first thing in the morning and just at the end daylight because he sees them all the time. I also know there is some bigger buck roaming the area because trust me these rubs were not made by a spike. He also told me the other day he caught a glimpse of a bigger buck walking into a small patch of woods he has near his pond. I'll have to see if I can get a picture of this one rub and scan it in.

Here is a pic of the property I hope it shows up well enough. It is a square shaped parcel that when looking at the pic is kinda tilted to the left. The pond is located near the upper right of his property and there is a stand of pines in the lower right. Its hard to explain but you can make out the fence rows that divide his property from the other landowner. The rubs I found were in the upper left of his property right near the fence row

C-NOGLE
September 24th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Wow thats pretty open. Im guessing the photo is a few years old and the disked areas are now trees? Looks like the woods is where they bed and the fields of trees are their evening spot...rubs in that area are often hit skip, or random. You may get balsy and try to hunt as close as possible to the biggest thicket or woodlot. Maybe slip into the edge during mid day an wait until they move out to eat and socialize at night. Maybe a small two man push tward one another. Tough spot to hunt unless they are consistantly using the same trails.

arkie
September 24th, 2004, 09:19 PM
I'd take wildfowl's advice.

njshadowwalker
September 24th, 2004, 09:48 PM
DO NOT TOUCH THE RUBS

If ya wanna sparkl some interest make little scrape 15 yards away from those rub or use a scpare dripper with buck urine.

Never ever ever contamintae that rub though. You game will be over before it starts. If we dont walk on deer trails why would we alter their sign (rubs).

Chances are its a short lived pattern so hunt it NOW. If nothing hppens its probably night time or midday activity. When the posr rut rolls around itll be active for another 3-5 days and then go cold again. You better hunting a thicket in the general area then you are to sit over those rubs all season.