PDA

View Full Version : Team #14 - Last Strut

Beamen123
March 9th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Here is your 2010 Spring Turkey contest team. When you score your bird, remember to have your bow in the picture (no excuses). Also - NEW THIS YEAR: please post all measurements for your bird - our spreadsheet will calculate the total score, but you may post the total score, too, if you wish.

Please review the scoring thread for the contest rules (a sticky thread at the top of the League Play Forum). Also, discuss among yourselves what you want your team name to be and then post in the Team Name thread in the League Play forum with your official team name. This thread is for discussions, trail cam pictures, anything you want to talk about with your team.

** One member from each team should take the initiative to PM all remaining members of your team as a reminder to check-in on your team thread. **

Good luck and have fun!

car
Dan7168
garrickt
greatwhite
Harpoon Brother
Ikantski
pabowhunter03
rcates
vermin8r
WyoGoat

Ikantski
March 9th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Checking in, 7 weeks to the day in Ontario!

pabowhunter03
March 9th, 2010, 09:34 PM
checking in 7 weeks to go in pa here as well

Dan7168
March 9th, 2010, 09:43 PM
checking in 7 weeks here as well. Can't wait!

garrickt
March 9th, 2010, 11:18 PM
I'm here, waiting for April 15

pabowhunter03
March 10th, 2010, 01:04 AM
What are you guys thinking about for team names

rcates
March 10th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Checking in. Season opens up April 1st for me. Can't wait

greatwhite
March 10th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Checkin in ....7 weeks or so here in PA

Dan7168
March 10th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I sent a PM to the remaining guys asking them to check in.
Any ideas on team name guys?

rcates
March 10th, 2010, 11:53 PM
I'm up for any name, could stay with Team 14 if you want. There aren't any original names anymore but some ideas are:

Beard busters
Beard braiders
Roost raiders
Fan fetchers
Spit & Drum

I'm sure there are better ones so idk

Ikantski
March 10th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Breast Collectors

rcates
March 11th, 2010, 12:53 AM
how about team trypto-fan, or trypto-fan junkies?

pabowhunter03
March 11th, 2010, 01:29 AM
Breast Collectors

BEARD COLLERCTORS!!!!!!!!!!! lol it doesnt really matter though

greatwhite
March 11th, 2010, 09:07 AM
LAST STRUT? Just a thought:darkbeer:

Dan7168
March 11th, 2010, 05:02 PM
i like Last Strut

pabowhunter03
March 11th, 2010, 11:13 PM
+1 last strut!!!!!

Ikantski
March 11th, 2010, 11:19 PM
works for me too

greatwhite
March 12th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Im in for LAST STRUT....

Harpoon Brother
March 12th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Checkin' in guys. I like last strut. Turkey thwack or Dirty Birds also.

vermin8r
March 13th, 2010, 09:54 PM
checking in. may 1 cant come soon enough.
last strut sounds good.

pabowhunter03
March 13th, 2010, 10:28 PM
so is it last strut for sure someone should post it if it is:wink:

car
March 13th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Checking in guys. What ever name is fine with me.

Dan7168
March 14th, 2010, 01:12 PM
So everyone agree on Last Strut? If so let's get it posted in the name thread
Seems We are all hunting Eastern Turkeys, Should be a challenge being the hardest bird to hunt:wink:

WyoGoat
March 15th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Hey guys, I'm happy to be on this team with you. Season here in WY starts on April 1st and then a trip to Iowa or Kansas after that. Looking forward to seeing all of the pics of your monster birds!

Harpoon Brother
March 15th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Either chasing thunder chickens the last 2 weeks of April or almost the entire month of may.

Can't wait :darkbeer:

pabowhunter03
March 15th, 2010, 11:55 PM
entire month of may here in between shootin in 3d tournys:wink:

garrickt
March 17th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Extra tags go on sale next week here in WI. One per day until they are gone.

pabowhunter03
March 17th, 2010, 10:30 PM
that would be nice we can only have one in the fall and one in the spring

Harpoon Brother
March 17th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Whats everybody shooting this year?

I go a new Z7 back in December....itchin' to go.

Stats in sig.

Gonna shoot Tekans or the new T3's......hopefully

pabowhunter03
March 18th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Nice rig i got a Maitland Retribution on order it should be in soon ill be using it.

Its Black riser camo limbs 50-60 pounds
Tru Glo Razor Micro
Trophy Taker Drop away
Bernies Control Freak Stab.
Vapor Speed 23 arrows

ill post pics on here when it comes in

Ikantski
March 19th, 2010, 01:13 AM
BOW MADNESS! Haven't settled on a broadhead yet but probably a rage 100 or some other large expandable.

pabowhunter03
March 19th, 2010, 02:26 AM
has anyone tried the turkey broadheads from fuse i was thinking about getting them

Dan7168
March 19th, 2010, 09:35 PM
I can't decide what I am going to shoot! haha
Either the bowmadness XS, monster , or the z7 I just picked up

rcates
March 24th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Ttt..:asleep:
Only 8 days until season opens here. April 1-13 is bow/youth only so I should get a few days of good hunting before regular season opens. Walked two of my spots for shed antlers last weekend and saw good groups of gobblers on both places. They're just starting to split up from their big groups. I'll put em to bed this weekend. Hopefully I tag out early this season, I plan on taking my fiance and my dad out as well.

Anyone else's season getting close?

Ikantski
March 24th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Still have just less than 4 weeks here, probably a good thing, more time to practice. I'm jealous you guys get a bow only pre-season.

Dan7168
March 25th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Still 5 weeks here! I am soo ready to get out there.

Ikantski
March 27th, 2010, 11:22 PM
targets acquired, did a little scouting this afternoon and found about a dozen in a group, toms and hens still together by the look of it.

pabowhunter03
March 28th, 2010, 04:55 PM
targets acquired, did a little scouting this afternoon and found about a dozen in a group, toms and hens still together by the look of it.

Nice, i cant wait for turkey season its about four weeks away

rcates
March 31st, 2010, 10:29 PM
Well I'll be out hunting this weekend guys. Wish me luck!

pabowhunter03
April 1st, 2010, 10:27 PM
Good Luck hope ya wack one or however many ya can out there:wink:

Ikantski
April 1st, 2010, 11:58 PM
good luck!

pabowhunter03
April 6th, 2010, 09:08 AM
So did any of you guys that went out see or get anything? Just really anxious to get the season going here.:shade:

rcates
April 6th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Friday morning the gobblers were fired up. Jakes came in first and strutted around the decoys while two big toms came in really slow. The bigger of the two skirted around the decoys and gave me a chance at 35 yards but I was filming the hunt and thought that he would come in as close as the jakes did. However, he lost interest quickly and never gave me another opportunity as he headed for a pasture pond where some other hens were headed. Called in a lot of jakes (two groups of at least 10 jakes/group) and they were fun to watch but it got annoying after long. Don't know what the deal was the rest of the weekend. They must have grouped back up on another property. Other people I talked to had the same problems last weekend. They were active friday but were nowhere to be found saturday and sunday. Guess we'll see how they are this weekend. Hopefully I can find that big one as after reviewing the video it looks like he has an 11 + inch beard!

pabowhunter03
April 6th, 2010, 09:16 PM
friday morning the gobblers were fired up. Jakes came in first and strutted around the decoys while two big toms came in really slow. The bigger of the two skirted around the decoys and gave me a chance at 35 yards but i was filming the hunt and thought that he would come in as close as the jakes did. However, he lost interest quickly and never gave me another opportunity as he headed for a pasture pond where some other hens were headed. Called in a lot of jakes (two groups of at least 10 jakes/group) and they were fun to watch but it got annoying after long. Don't know what the deal was the rest of the weekend. They must have grouped back up on another property. Other people i talked to had the same problems last weekend. They were active friday but were nowhere to be found saturday and sunday. Guess we'll see how they are this weekend. Hopefully i can find that big one as after reviewing the video it looks like he has an 11 + inch beard!

go pin that big en to a tree!!!!!!!!!!

rcates
April 6th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I'll try to get the dangler but I think he's a pretty smart bird. Last year turkey season went way too smooth so with my luck I'm guessin this year is going to challenge me......but I'm always up for a challenge. That's why I love bowhunting. If I can't get him this weekend I'm going to try and put my fiance on him for her first turkey.

garrickt
April 9th, 2010, 10:05 PM
My season starts next week. Gettin' excited!

pabowhunter03
April 10th, 2010, 12:37 AM
My season starts next week. Gettin' excited!

Have they been goblin much out your way i only heard one bird so far here in pa hope they open up more towards season

Dan7168
April 15th, 2010, 10:20 PM
2 weeks from Sat. here! And also the day my 10day vacation starts! Can't wait to get out there

pabowhunter03
April 15th, 2010, 11:19 PM
2 weeks from Sat. here! And also the day my 10day vacation starts! Can't wait to get out there

go get um!!

Oh hey just a friendly challange for my team mates the first two of us to get birds will get a free set of grips for there bow made out of the wood of there choice from my wood suppliers web page!!!!

Ikantski
April 16th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Apr 26th here, it's coming soon!

Harpoon Brother
April 16th, 2010, 03:35 PM
go get um!!

Oh hey just a friendly challange for my team mates the first two of us to get birds will get a free set of grips for there bow made out of the wood of there choice from my wood suppliers web page!!!!

Sweet!!! Ready to rock monday....

Dan7168
April 16th, 2010, 05:11 PM
go get um!!

That is an awesome gesture! As much as I want you guys to succeed I hope you don't before I get a chance to get out there! :wink: So I can get me one of those grips!

car
April 16th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Monday is the start of my season. I'll keep all of you posted.

pabowhunter03
April 16th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Good luck all and pm me when you get one we will figure out what kind of wood ya want:wink:

pabowhunter03
April 19th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Youth Turkey season is saturday ill be taking my one buddy out hopefully he can wack one were going to try and get it on camera.

Dan7168
April 20th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Youth Turkey season is saturday ill be taking my one buddy out hopefully he can wack one were going to try and get it on camera.
Same here wish I had someone to take out! Good luck to you and your buddy

Harpoon Brother
April 20th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Got out yesterday and called a nice bird away from the flock, but the joker hung up at 60 then skirted to my right but stayed in the brush at 40 yds......Settin' the blind up and bringing out the stuffer......punk turkeys :darkbeer:

vermin8r
April 20th, 2010, 10:39 PM
youth season is this saturday in new york.gonna take my 14 year old daughter out to hopefully get her third bird and keep her streak going. been seeing several longbeards on my hunting ground. i usually name the birds on my farm and try to kill a particular one or two.named three so far, "hook","the rope" and "wimpy". any of you guys do any thing crazy like that? it is a sickness ,my wife says,im addicted,hooked for life!!!!!:thumbs_up

pabowhunter03
April 21st, 2010, 10:28 PM
Same here wish I had someone to take out! Good luck to you and your buddy

Thanks i went out scouting this morning and heard four birds gobblin right when i got out of the car hopefully i can get him in on one

Harpoon Brother
April 25th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Not much. Will post story later. gotta get to church.

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae246/goodwi48/turkey.jpg

Dan7168
April 25th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Awesome congrats on the bird!

Harpoon Brother
April 25th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Well my mom and a heart attack Friday afternoon and I was at the hospital until yesterday morning so I didn't hunt yesterday. Felt good to get out there this am, and they were gobbling there fool heads off. Started talkin' bout 6:20 hit the ground, but with all the rain we've gotten the swamp was high and flooded areas, of course they flew down on the other side and wouldn't cross. They shut up at 7am and I thought it was over then. Called sparingly and at about 7:20 three jakes and a few hens popped out to my north into the field. I had my stuffed strutter and a hen out. The jakes came out first the the hens, them hens marched straight over to the dekes, and the boys followed.

The dominate bird came up beside the strutter at about 12-13 yards. He was facing towards me and I drew, Put his head down and puffed up a little, 1/4 strut sorta, I set the pin right on his head, because missing would've still caught him frontal chest or back. Hit him in the neck right under his head and he dropped like a ton of bricks. Game over. Arrow took out some tail feathers and went about 50 yds farther< my dad found it walking out.

Not my biggest bird by far, even with the bow. I was hunting some long beards on this property. But this will be one of the most memorable. It felt so good to realease that arrow, and I was just so happy to even have birds come in. I knew my mom would be happy and she doesn't care about how big a bird or even a deer ever is, just likes to see us succeed. Gotta thank God for this one. God Bless!

14. 1 LBS..........5.5 in. beard.............1/4 in. spurs.

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae246/goodwi48/DSCN1332.jpg

Tekan Entrance

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae246/goodwi48/DSCN1336.jpg

Exit

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae246/goodwi48/DSCN1337.jpg

vermin8r
April 25th, 2010, 07:53 PM
congrats on a nice bird. good job!! good luck with your mom,hope she is doing well and feeling better soon. well i took my 14 year old out on saturday and she smoked a great bird. 22 pounds 3 oz. double beard ,9 and 5 inchers with a pair of 1 inch spurs.the bird scored over 70 nwtf, she is now 3 for 3 maybe i should have saved that big boy for me or at least signed her up for the contest.oh well she won a local contest here in upstate new york. now it is my turn next saturday.good luck to all you guys.go stick a big one. i will try to post pics of my daughters bird on the forum.

Harpoon Brother
April 25th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Thanks, My mom is home and doing well. Tests showed no damage to her heart. She caught it early, got aspirin in her system and the paramedics and doctors took great care of her. Hopefully this gets her to finally quit smoking. Wake up call for the whole family to start eating better.

Forgot to say, my contact poped out of my right eye before the sun came up this am. Lost it. Moved my left contact to my right. different prescription of course. Rough morning with 1 eye. Gotta start packin glasses in the vest :darkbeer:

vermin8r
April 25th, 2010, 09:56 PM
here is the big boy my 14 year old daughter Alyssa harvested on opening day of youth weekend in New York. 22 pounds double beard 9" and 5" with 1" spurs:)

Dan7168
April 26th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Congrats to your daughter

Harpoon Brother
April 26th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Thats a big ole bird!

Very nice picture too! Those colors are awesome!

pabowhunter03
April 26th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Well my mom and a heart attack Friday afternoon and I was at the hospital until yesterday morning so I didn't hunt yesterday. Felt good to get out there this am, and they were gobbling there fool heads off. Started talkin' bout 6:20 hit the ground, but with all the rain we've gotten the swamp was high and flooded areas, of course they flew down on the other side and wouldn't cross. They shut up at 7am and I thought it was over then. Called sparingly and at about 7:20 three jakes and a few hens popped out to my north into the field. I had my stuffed strutter and a hen out. The jakes came out first the the hens, them hens marched straight over to the dekes, and the boys followed.

The dominate bird came up beside the strutter at about 12-13 yards. He was facing towards me and I drew, Put his head down and puffed up a little, 1/4 strut sorta, I set the pin right on his head, because missing would've still caught him frontal chest or back. Hit him in the neck right under his head and he dropped like a ton of bricks. Game over. Arrow took out some tail feathers and went about 50 yds farther< my dad found it walking out.

Not my biggest bird by far, even with the bow. I was hunting some long beards on this property. But this will be one of the most memorable. It felt so good to realease that arrow, and I was just so happy to even have birds come in. I knew my mom would be happy and she doesn't care about how big a bird or even a deer ever is, just likes to see us succeed. Gotta thank God for this one. God Bless!

14. 1 LBS..........5.5 in. beard.............1/4 in. spurs.

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae246/goodwi48/DSCN1332.jpg

Tekan Entrance

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae246/goodwi48/DSCN1336.jpg

Exit

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae246/goodwi48/DSCN1337.jpg

Congrats on the bird bud hope your mom is feeling better. Hey since your the first one to get a bird you get a set of grips so email me at maitlandparep@yahoo.com and we can figure out what kind of wood you want and for what bow. Oh and for some reason and i dont know why but i feel like your my twin brother or something lol. Just kinda look alike

Ikantski
April 27th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Glad your mom is feeling better and any turkey with a bow is an amazing trophy.

I got out for the first time this morning, cold and windy. Sat for about 2 hours in a great place but nothing gobbling. Walked to the edge of the pasture and saw 3 big toms with a hen about 300 yards away, downhill and downwind. I tried every call I had but the wind was too strong. I could see them gobbling but couldn't hear them at all. They were on a neighbor's property but looked like they might follow a creek onto the property I was hunting. Moved down there for an hour but alas my master plan failed and they turned off the creek. Thanks to a great neighbor, I don't have to drive anywhere to hunt though so I should get lucky one of these mornings.

Dan7168
May 1st, 2010, 11:10 AM
Got some More Points This Morning... Will Post Story and more pictures Later
And Sorry about the pictures we forgot the camera and only had our cell phones
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/3502/0424000843.jpg

Harpoon Brother
May 1st, 2010, 12:26 PM
Good Bird!!! Can't wait for the story!

Dan7168
May 1st, 2010, 05:03 PM
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/3502/0424000843.jpg
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/1738/0424000844.jpg
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/8407/0424000844a.jpg

Got out a little later than I wanted to this morning. Birds were already on the ground when I got there. They were hammering though, Got out of the truck and heard a woodpecker pecking at a tree as soon as he stopped gobbler was gobbling probably 300yds from where we parked. So jumped out getting stuff around and this kept going on. Went in a different direction as to not scare him and hopefully call him to us. Got into the woods probably 150yds and sat down and started calling. Immediatly had 2 gobblers gobbling below us probably 5-600yds away, but nothing from the initial gobbler. Kept calling and these birds would gobble after every call and were getting closer. I was hiding in a thick patch of small trees. All of a sudden I hear something coming from behind me and sounded like a deer. I could not move as it was close. I could just move my head enough to see what it was and I believe it was the first bird I heard, he snuck in behind me without making a sound. I saw him fanned out and could see his head as he was on the other side of a bunch of brush, he was looking all over for a hen but the other 2 birds were still coming gobbling the whole way. Bird did not see what he wanted so he turned and left just like he showed up and presented no shot. As he is leaving I see the first bird from below peak up over the small hill below me. He is about 30yds away with the other one about 5 yds behind him. The front bird was the biggest, as he steps behind a tree I draw the Monster he comes out from behind the tree all fanned out about 20yds away now, I settle the pin on his wing joint and let the 2 blade Rage fly. Arrow slams him, he does a bunch of flipping and jumping before taking his final dirt nap. I have killed quite a few turkeys but this is my biggest and first with a bow. He has a 10 1/4" beard 1" spurs and weight 23.72lbs.! I love this bow hunting for turkey! Hopefully get another before the season is over

car
May 2nd, 2010, 10:16 AM
So far all I've seen here in Ohio is jakes. I've called so many jakes in its not funny. I have had several friends hunting here say that they haven't seen any jakes. Go figure

Dan7168
May 2nd, 2010, 07:11 PM
Let's go guys! We are in the Top 10! Let's get out there and win this thing

Ikantski
May 4th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I am having a heck of a time this year. I've been out 5 mornings and had 3-7 gobblers gobbling every time. I usually sit on a field edge with a hen and jake decoy and get into some good cover on the side.

The closest I've been so far is a tom coming right at the dekes after flydown, got to about 60 yards and decided something wasn't right. I tried calling him back but I think I was too loud cause then he really took off.

I've got until the end of May but if you guys have any tricks, I would love to hear them!

Dan7168
May 4th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Went out yesterday and had a gobbler hammering away for atleast an hour from the time I stepped out of the truck. He just would not close the distance then he just shut up. It was the most gobbling I had ever heard out of a turkey. Sometimes he would gobble 3-4 times before I could even get another call in. Almost thinking there was a second bird really close to him but am unsure. Went out today and never even heard a bird.

vermin8r
May 10th, 2010, 06:55 PM
well i finally broke in my new elite gt500.bird came in to 12 yards to a cedar spur decoy,he couldnt resist. he weighed 20 # 6 oz, 9 and 1/2 inch beard with 1 and 1/8 spurs ,shot him up the ole pie hole,texas heart shot.

Dan7168
May 10th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Awesome Bird... Congrats! How do you like the Elite? I am really thinking about getting one
please post your bird in this thread:
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1165804&page=2
when you get the chance so we can get out score updated and get credit for it

vermin8r
May 11th, 2010, 10:09 PM
thanks. i love the elite,fast pretty quiet,super accurate. had a few minor issues at first but proper set up and tune and i was good to go.i plan on buying a lefty xlr elite soon

Ikantski
May 11th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Awesome turkey and nice shot! Picked up a strutting tom decoy so now the pressure is on to get a real tail and wings for him!

Dan7168
May 12th, 2010, 05:51 PM
thanks. i love the elite,fast pretty quiet,super accurate. had a few minor issues at first but proper set up and tune and i was good to go.i plan on buying a lefty xlr elite soon

Good to hear, hear alot of good about Elite. I just bought a Z28 on here can't wait for it to get here