PDA

View Full Version : 92 yr old poacher!

Skeptic
March 19th, 2010, 01:58 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100319/sc_afp/indonesiaenvironmentwildlifean imaltiger;_ylt=AsdwKFtWN5IXhBT lufrpywRv24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTN0dGx icmIxBGFzc2V0A2FmcC8yMDEwMDMxO S9pbmRvbmVzaWFlbnZpcm9ubWVudHd pbGRsaWZlYW5pbWFsdGlnZXIEY2NvZ GUDbW9zdHBvcHVsYXIEY3BvcwM0BHB vcwM0BHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3Rvcmllc wRzbGsDbGlmZXRpbWV0aWdl

JAKARTA (AFP) Ė Indonesian conservationists said on Friday they had caught red-handed a 92-year-old man who had admitted to killing dozens of critically endangered Sumatran tigers over a lifetime of hunting.

"We caught him Thursday while he was sailing a traditional wooden boat in a river in Kuala Cinaku with evidence of skin, skull and 8.3 kilos of bones from a tiger," Iwin Kasiwan, from the natural conservation agency in Riau province, Sumatra, told AFP.

The man, named Wiryo, told conservationists that he started hunting tigers for a living when he was 17 on Java island. He moved to Sumatra in 1960 as the population of Javan tiger decreased.

"According to him, he has killed more than 50 Sumatran tigers in Riau province alone," Kasiwan said, adding it could see the 92-year-old jailed for up to five years.

Wiryo explained that he managed to sell the tiger parts in Singapore.

There are fewer than 400 Sumatran tigers left in the wild and their increasing contact with people is a result of habitat loss due to poaching and deforestation, according to conservationists.

Bobmuley
March 19th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Sounds like my grandad. :zip:

Cornfed
March 19th, 2010, 02:12 PM
With only a small handful of the creatures left on Earth it's truly sad to see it happening but I imagine the pay-out that the old man was getting was probably was probably more than the entire income of a small village over there! You've got to hate the Poacher but you have to hate the Blackmarkets that fuel such crimes even more. :(

WesternMAHunter
March 19th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Amen Cornfed...

obsessedLSS
March 19th, 2010, 02:33 PM
With only a small handful of the creatures left on Earth it's truly sad to see it happening but I imagine the pay-out that the old man was getting was probably was probably more than the entire income of a small village over there! You've got to hate the Poacher but you have to hate the Blackmarkets that fuel such crimes even more. :(

AMEN!

just look at what the blackmaret has done for sharks and those numbers. :pukey:

William_Dittman
March 19th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I like how they say he is going to be put in jail for 5 yrs. C'mon the dude is 92 I dont think he really cares anymore

Jarocal
March 19th, 2010, 02:56 PM

The bad part is he may not have been getting that much. A lot of times the poacher does not really get much more than a meager payout with the people later in the chain reaping all of the profits. Nat Geo did a documentary where they managed to interview some graverobbers on the condition of anonymity. The amounts the actual robbers were getting paid worked out to like $25 when the dealer was getting like $5k for the artifact. The host said he was tempted to tell the robber the amount the guy he was selling it to was getting but he did not want to give the grave robber further incentive to keep robbing graves knowing the price the items could bring.

Tax Lawyer
March 19th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Sounds like my grandad. :zip:

Sounds like mine too......and EXACTLY like my wife's grandfather. :teeth:

ebonarcher
March 19th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Isn't capitalism wonderful ?

Uncle Bucky
March 19th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Isn't capitalism wonderful ?

That isn't capitalism, thats criminalism

Captalism in its pure form has no room for breaking of laws

This is GREED, plain and simple.

nova bowhunter
March 19th, 2010, 03:48 PM
CAN you blame him? if it comes down to eating or not eating what do you think he is going to do? starve and save a tiger($) or kill a tiger and eat?

i highly doubt Indonesia has social security or government handouts for its citizens.

Bobmuley
March 19th, 2010, 04:03 PM

This is GREED, plain and simple....or survival.

HCH
March 19th, 2010, 05:29 PM
...or survival.:D yep

oct71
March 19th, 2010, 06:00 PM
That old boy grew up in a different time with different views and I'd like to know what weapon he killed his first tiger with. I'd say sharp stick.:mg:

He fed his family all those years and my hats off to him. Everyone can call him a poacher, but I will not.

WUD DUK
March 19th, 2010, 06:13 PM
That old boy grew up in a different time with different views and I'd like to know what weapon he killed his first tiger with. I'd say sharp stick.:mg:

He fed his family all those years and my hats off to him. Everyone can call him a poacher, but I will not.

+1:thumbs_up

dac
March 19th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I like how they say he is going to be put in jail for 5 yrs. C'mon the dude is 92 I dont think he really cares anymore

I think that is whats called a life sentence when your 92.:eek:

Jshep40
March 19th, 2010, 06:59 PM

+1, probably the only way to make a living the man had ever known. 92 year old tiger killer, not a bad man in my book.

ghak99
March 19th, 2010, 07:00 PM
If I'm 92 and still able to get in a boat, float a river, and kill a tiger all on my own.......well.......:zip:

....and a "conservation officer" named Iwin?....how fitting.:tongue:

:darkbeer:

G20
March 19th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Dang,92 and still killing tigers alone. Absent the poaching part thats pretty awesome.

kawabunga
March 19th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Dang,92 and still killing tigers alone. Absent the poaching part thats pretty awesome.

Yeah, i'd like to see what this guy looks like, still hunting at 92, wow.

Stanley
March 19th, 2010, 08:02 PM
We have it so good in this country we have no idea what itís like to live in a third world country. Endangered Sumatran tigers are a magnificent animal and itís sad some were killed for whatever reason. Living in this country we have neither the knowledge nor understanding to pass any judgment. We can merely spew unwarranted criticism as why a 92 year old man would kill these animals. Iím not saying itís right, Iím saying it may not be wrong.

I like Meat
March 19th, 2010, 09:15 PM
The 92 yr old would be jailed for 5 yrs ..... heck, I'd give him life .... :confused:

Ib4Hoyt
March 19th, 2010, 09:15 PM
high five gram pa:high5:

Lonestar63
March 19th, 2010, 09:25 PM
...or survival.

Yep.

Easy to sit behind a keyboard and pass judgement.

Hell, he's 92 years old and kills tigers!

He's got bigger rocks than your average AT killer.......:nod:

crazy wolf
March 19th, 2010, 09:34 PM
They say many times in a young mans life , RESPECT your Elders. Sooooo , ...

Crazy Wolf.