PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of fire ants

bowhunterprime
March 27th, 2010, 12:57 AM
I know this is not at all archery related, but I felt it should be shared because fire ants are a real problem to a lot of people, especially us farmers. This is an article that was forwarded to some twelve dozen or so people before I got it lol.

For those not familiar with Walter Reeves, he is from the University of Georgia agriculture Department, specializing in home gardening. His television show, 'Gardening in Georgia', is on each Saturday.

I know fire ants are picky eaters and any type poison that is effective takes seven feeding steps before the queen receives it.
Plus, if the bait is stored in close proximity to any petroleum or fertilizer products they won't touch it. Contact poisons that are on the market just cause the colony to move away. A well developed colony can be as deep as 30 feet and spread out some 20 to 50 feet from the mound center... This was documented by studies done in the early 60's when they were first sited in South Alabama.

An environmentally friendly cure for fire ants has been announced by Walter Reeves on his Georgia Gardener radio program. Testimonials that it REALLY WORKS are coming in.

Simply pour two cups of CLUB SODA (carbonated water) directly in the center of a fire ant mound. The carbon dioxide in the water is heavier than air and displaces the oxygen which suffocates the queen and the other ants. The whole colony will be dead within about two days.

Besides eliminating the ants, club soda leaves no poisonous residue, does not contaminate the ground water, and does not indiscriminately Kill other insects. It is not harmful to your pets, soaks into the ground. Each mound must be treated individually and a one liter bottle of club soda will kill 2 to 3 mounds.

Spread the word

huntersdad04
March 27th, 2010, 01:15 AM
i hear corn meal works on ants too. they can't digest it i guess. Old farmer told me that one. never tried it and have no proof, but it's worth a shot

cricman
March 27th, 2010, 01:27 AM
I have been using crushed Alka Seltzer mixed with Kayro syrup for years. Since ants can't burp, they eat the gassy concoction and can't relieve the pressure. Ultimately, they burst open like popcorn. You can actually hear the ones near the surface sounding like Pop Rocks, as their exoskeleton breaks open to let the gas out.

Seriously, this club soda thing is an internet myth. Most of the commercial poisons work, but do require a lot of follow up, and proper application. An entomologist in South Texas has actually found a means to biologically control Fire Ants by introducing parasitic fly larvae:

"Entomologists are currently looking into eco-friendly biological control of fire ants, and University of Texas biologists have been experimenting with importing one of the fire ant’s natural predators. These parasitic creatures, a kind of phorid fly, are known as “ant-decapitating flies.” The fruit fly-size female lays her eggs inside the ant’s body, accessing it through the neck. As the larva grows, it feeds off the ant’s body fluids. At the right moment, it knows just how much of the ant’s brain to consume in order to hijack the ant’s nervous system."

There are also studies regarding parasitic ants, and ants that prey on fire ants, such as the Crazy Ant.

good luck,

cricman

sawtoothscream
March 27th, 2010, 01:34 AM
set fire to the ant hill?

open fire with a shotgun and bird shot

idk if it will work good but sounds fun

xlr8ngn
March 27th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I use Over 'n Out. The stuff works, and you can get it almost anywhere hardware is sold. It got rid of my fire ants when I applied it to my yard. It somehow got rid of my neighbor's ants too. It is not dirt cheap, but it works as advertised. You apply it once a year, and I don't have to worry about my kids getting bit.

Flyboy718
March 27th, 2010, 12:22 PM
For me Acephate is THE best control for fire ants. You put a table spoon of this stuff on an ant bed and they will all be dead in 2 days and you will never see an ant bed there again. You can get this stuff in a name brand form called Orthene by Ortho I believe. It smells like rotten eggs though.

dustoffer
March 27th, 2010, 12:30 PM
The Orthene works well, as does Amdro, although Amdro is more expensive and isn't as quick acting.

Link to the internet legend determination-
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/fireants.asp

GCOD
March 27th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I use grits