Archery Talk Forum banner

The lessons I learned today

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  ShootingABN! 
#1 ·
I thought this might be an interesting topic.

I not been shooting much since Atlantic City. Now that I have dragged my bows out and started shooting regularly again, I am re-learning some rudementary lessons. It's kind of funny how you forget stuff.

such as:

1. Stay with the shot until it is over - It seems that after shoting indoor all winter my form gets a little lazy, and I am not completing the shot. This was causing wide flat groups. It only took me a whole day of that to figure it out. :)

2. Center up the peep, scope, and target BEFORE beginning the shot - Yesterday, I was shooting with Aaron, TJ, and MLotz, in the venturi chamber of death. I was getting an occaisional fast shot that resulted in a nine. I was actually shooting the shot before I was lined up. Kind of asleep at the wheel. It didn't take me very long to figure it out, I am still working on breaking the habit.

I will post more lessons learned as I learn them :)

#2 ·
"Shooting Mistakes"

GRIV,
We all hope to learn from "shooting mistakes".

I just hope my list is not so long as to preclude my addressing them all! ;)

#5 ·
Jim Pruitte,
The only answers to test questions in college that concerned me were the ones I missed.

You learn from mistakes properly analyzed!

#6 ·
I like the feel of a great shot, when everything comes together, I definately notice those. At the same time I can feel why a shot went specifically wrong...Its those marginal ones where two or more things went wrong, or it just wasn't exactly right that confound me.

-CG

#7 ·
concentrate on the positive

When I am shooting a tournament, I immediately ignore any bad shot and celebrate the good shot. The questions that I ask myself are, “what did I do right?”

When practicing, I analyze every feel, pressure and every mistake. If I have a recurring mistake, I try to narrow it down to what the culprit is. Once I find the culprit, then I have to figure out a good way to eliminate it without adding a bunch of distracting steps to my routine.

The point that I really learn something is when I catch the mistake. Once I recognize the feel that produces the bad shot, I can then avoid it.

#8 ·
I completely agree! I feel that a certain amount of the shot process stays with you and becomes implicit; however, there are a few things you always must remind yourself. I too, constantly remind myself to complete the shot process. Make sure to wait until you hear the the arrow hit the target is the rule of thumb I like to follow.

#11 ·
It’s griv’s “bump an ancient thread a day” thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.