PDA

View Full Version : ATV Mowers

Captain1221
June 20th, 2010, 03:09 PM
I'm looking into buying a pull behind ATV mower here in a few weeks. I'm wondering if I should go with a finish cut mower or a brush cutter? I'm really not interested in cutting any brush down, just long tall grass. Maybe some small saplings no bigger than an 1".

Would a finish cut mower be a better choice, or should I go with a brush cutter?

joesandi
June 21st, 2010, 06:50 AM
I have a Swisher 44" finish mower I use to cut my clover plots (original bought to cut grass with). I have had it for about 6 years. It works fine, but I think if I would do it over again I would go with the brush cutter. The finish mower has a hard time handling the tall stuff.

HUNTERMAGNUM
June 21st, 2010, 07:08 AM
I have the 44" finish mower by Swisher and it is for sale. I bought it to cut the tall weeds or grass and it did not preform like I thought it would as you can only adjust the height of cutting to 5" max. Get the trail mower and you will be happy.

bowhuntr311
June 21st, 2010, 10:39 AM
Get the brush cutter and just plan on keeping the blades real sharp. I have the swisher aswell and thing is junk. I bought it really cheap and had to put some parts/labor into it but the machine itself is cheap and cheaply built. If you REALLY practice selfcontrol and dont mow lots of brush and dont use and abuse it the thing should last you forever.

The only way I would get the finish mower is if your trails are REALLY smooth and you plan on mowing them when the grass is less than 12in high.

An uncle of mine has the Roughcountry mower with 1-48in blade. WORKS way better for mowing long grass than my swisher with the 2short blades.

dblj
June 21st, 2010, 04:01 PM
I also have the 44" swisher and I have had to weld it more and more just to handle plot use. The bolts and thin metal they use on them are:mad: cheap! The briggs and stratton engine is good but also have had recoil starter problems with it, lots of plastic parts on the recoil starter and the plastic cover has broke. Now that I have welded it atleast 15 times in different spots to strengthen spots its just OK....

DannyB
June 21st, 2010, 04:21 PM
I have the Swisher 44" finish cut. Have had it for almost 2 years and so far its been great. My trails are relatively smooth though and I picked up some 16" tires for it so I get a little higher cut if needed. I had to move the guards forward to the next notch to get the extra clearance for the tires. 15" tires usually measure 14", while 16" tires are 16". Not sure why its that way? Cuts my Clover, Clover/Chicory, and Alfalfa/Clover plots great.

goathollow
July 6th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I have the 44 inch 12.5 hp swisher trail cutter (bush hog) and it works great with briars, tall grass, even small saplings up to about 1.5 inches. I keep the blades sharp and it cuts almost like a finish mower.