PDA

View Full Version : Scent Control

bigdoglanyards
June 28th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I have seen several threads on the big boards about scent control lately, I was just wondering how everyone here felt about it. Do you practice strict scent control? Use sent blocker clothing? Sprays? Tell us your scent control ritual...

talon1961
June 28th, 2010, 08:58 PM
My base layers are wicking fibers w/silver fibers embedded. My outer layers are also made of wicking materials (Rocky APX) or Mossy Oak (Russell Now) w/scent stop. If I can stay dry, I can eliminate most of the body odor caused by bacteria. I shower with a variety of different scent free shower gels and use unscented antiperspirant/deodorant. I don't wear my hunting clothes to the woods, I change into them once I get out of my truck. I spray down with scent away or scent killer type sprays before and after putting on my outer layers. I spray down once I get into my stand for good measure. Even with this odor reducing regimen, I still hunt the wind as best as I can. Cover scents like pine/acorn/fresh earth also. I have some scent-lok, scent blocker carbon stuff, but don't rely on it. It may help reduce odors, but it causes me to sweat way too much, and that leads to lots of BO.

totalcomfort
June 28th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Scent shower,then spray down after leaving truck.Wash all clothes in scent soap.
Pray for a good wind!!

bigdoglanyards
July 4th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Well, I shower with scent free soap. Use sent free deoderent. Never put my hunting cloths on untill I get to the woods. Keep my cloths in a plastic tub and wash with scent free detergent. Spray down with scent zapper and use some sort of cover scent on my rubber boots (usually fresh earth). I tend to place my stands near cedar trees so I like to rub down every now and then with a cedar branch. My hunting clothing is a combonation of scent blocker and under armour.

I have no idea if any of this makes a difference or not but I want to give myself every advantage I can! I hunt the wind and have my stands set up in several locations to acomidate different wind directions.

I still belive that the biggest facter in not being detected is to have good backdrop and don't move! I would say that I have been busted more times because I moved than any other reason.

Just my .02

knighten
July 4th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I use HS scent kits,laundry detergent,fresh earth dryer sheets.Shower with scent soap,and deodorant.I have used primos spray the last couple years.I do alot of ground hunting and had deer walk by at 10yards,but had them bust me out at 30yards.I think the wind is the main thing.

bigdoglanyards
July 4th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I am thinking about trying all of the Dead Down Wind products this year.

Lefty18
July 4th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I usually hunt in a pair of jeans and a North Face jacket.

Put a couple in the freezer every year in the Ozarks.