PDA

View Full Version : Ground blind hunters....

Sneaky Apasum
July 12th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Have you killed a mature whitetail from a ground blind?

Was it public or private? Highly pressured deer, or not? Tell me about it.

Sneaky Apasum
July 12th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Keep in mind this is for MATURE bucks. You may also vote for public and private if you've done both.

easeup
July 12th, 2010, 09:43 PM
it is tough to do.... I have killed one mature buck from the ameristep.
they seem to spook from it. I have better success from a tripod and I hunt in Childress if it matters ( there are not any trees up there). but I prefer the Ameristep when it is real cold out as I find it easier to stay warm and sit still. the tripod is exposed to the cold but the critters are not alarmed by it if my scent is right.

grizzl
July 12th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Have you killed a mature whitetail from a ground blind?

Was it public or private? Highly pressured deer, or not? Tell me about it.

In the mountains..many times..but my preffered blind is a blowdown/Fallen tree backdrop and a "camo panel 3ftX9ft" to my front. I elevate up a ft or two so the panel can hide up to 5ft so I shoot from my knees

I have a setup in H9 that you'll see 200 yards from the gate. There is a "thorn tree" that I cut a hole into (the type of tree that is open inside). 25 yard shot to an "island" of trees in an open field. Big buck was there 2 years ago...had him blow on me when he approached on my backside..1 of 3 trails leading to the "island". Just bad luck he took that trail.

But you are right..if you throw up a blind on hunting day..they'll spook. And if you leave it out for them to acclimate..it gets stolen.

So look for natural cover/backdrop and then "CAMO" the tent blind with some of the same "limbs/foliage" making it 3-D.

Its funny though..in heavy rain..they don't seem to fear it as much as a calm day...I've thown up a blind jus to hunt in the rain and have deer come it..but no shot on a BIG deer..80-100 class but no bigguns

Some places..there are NO trees..just scrub so ya have to use a blind

zap
July 12th, 2010, 10:02 PM
A mature deer can be taken from the ground.

Somewhat more to it than from a tree.

You really need to pick the right moment to make your move, then make it count. :)

Or us a ground blind, but somtimes they spook deer.

marty

BowhntrOma
July 12th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I've killed deer from my ground blind but not a mature buck. A mature doe yes. Unfortunately in my area if it has antlers someone will shoot it. The bucks just don't get old.

stickfight
July 12th, 2010, 10:15 PM
I've killed 4 or 5.

I hunt on my own property and leave blinds out year round. Heavy trees, hilly. There isn't a lot of pressure around here. You hear maybe a dozen hunters shoot on opening day of gun.

Sneaky Apasum
July 12th, 2010, 10:18 PM
it is tough to do.... I have killed one mature buck from the ameristep.
they seem to spook from it. I have better success from a tripod and I hunt in Childress if it matters ( there are not any trees up there). but I prefer the Ameristep when it is real cold out as I find it easier to stay warm and sit still. the tripod is exposed to the cold but the critters are not alarmed by it if my scent is right.

I'm familiar with Childress. Nothing but mesquite and cactus.

I've hunted San Angelo. It's real similar country. I was so frustrated with deer busting me on the ground, that I built a stand in the biggest mesquite around. My feet weren't a full six feet off the ground, but I did get a shot at a buck, finally.

Sneaky Apasum
July 12th, 2010, 10:22 PM
In the mountains..many times..but my preffered blind is a blowdown/Fallen tree backdrop and a "camo panel 3ftX9ft" to my front. I elevate up a ft or two so the panel can hide up to 5ft so I shoot from my knees

I have a setup in H9 that you'll see 200 yards from the gate. There is a "thorn tree" that I cut a hole into (the type of tree that is open inside). 25 yard shot to an "island" of trees in an open field. Big buck was there 2 years ago...had him blow on me when he approached on my backside..1 of 3 trails leading to the "island". Just bad luck he took that trail.

But you are right..if you throw up a blind on hunting day..they'll spook. And if you leave it out for them to acclimate..it gets stolen.

So look for natural cover/backdrop and then "CAMO" the tent blind with some of the same "limbs/foliage" making it 3-D.

Its funny though..in heavy rain..they don't seem to fear it as much as a calm day...I've thown up a blind jus to hunt in the rain and have deer come it..but no shot on a BIG deer..80-100 class but no bigguns

Some places..there are NO trees..just scrub so ya have to use a blind

I'm sure I'll see your blind in there eventually.

I've had a lot of hunts in ground blinds not go so well because of deer being spooky around them. I was thinking natural brush blinds would be a better way to go.

a1hoyt.ca
July 12th, 2010, 10:23 PM
I would like to buy one and try it but I am not going to try it because I usually hunt on public land.

bucks/bulls
July 12th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Yes,I've killed 5 outta my blind,but only been huntn outta a blind for deer for 5 yrs,all bucks taken from my own personal land,uaually shots where taken between 20-35 yds,only 1 @ about 13 yds.the deer on my piece of property that only I hunt,are not pressured at all,they have 300 acres to free roam,however as this is farm land we have several other plots of land that range from 200-800 acre parcels,and I allow several other guys to hunt,but still not much pressure,imo.we have several small food plots set up along the tree lines,and mineral blocks,and dump sweet feed out periodically to keep em fat and happy,lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cornfed
July 12th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Post 'em up! I'd love to see some pix of "mature" Bucks that were taken from ground blinds?

I personally do not do much serious deerhunting from the ground but the little I've done over the years, I've only had 2 trophy class Bucks close to the blinds but never got a shot off. :(

Sneaky Apasum
July 12th, 2010, 11:07 PM
They seem to be a great option for the private land guy that can leave it up.

Public land? Not so much....

bowmanhunter
July 13th, 2010, 12:36 AM
My cousin whacked a 187" buck last year out of my Rhino blind, and video it at the same time with his bow:wink:

Quailhunter
July 13th, 2010, 12:59 AM
I've killed one mature buck (5.5 yrs) on public land out of a ground blind. I have killed all but one of the remaining bucks that I have killed and all but two of the does out of a ground blind (all private land). I put out my blinds on private land about 5 weeks before the season and leave them out throughout the season. The private land blind was put out a week prior to killing the deer.

123 4/8 P&Y
July 13th, 2010, 01:35 AM
I've only killed 2 bucks that I would consider mature and they were both from trees. I've had a few others in close but I don't want to talk about those. :angry: :angry7: :frusty: :mad2: :fuming: I've only had opportunities to take slickheads and small bucks while in a blind. I like deerhunting from trees way better. Those blinds can be a lot warmer though.

TNstalker
July 13th, 2010, 03:30 AM
I use my ground blind to take my two sons hunting. The boys really enjoy hanging out in the blind but they are young and don't exactly stay very quiet so we've not managed to tag anything out of it yet. Just a matter of time though.

zap
July 13th, 2010, 05:45 AM
They seem to be a great option for the private land guy that can leave it up.

Public land? Not so much....

If you are rut hunting, there are buck cruising thru that are normally not there.
One day set is fine, since they probably have not been around that area much before.
I plan to use mine more this coming season, all one day sets.
We will see....

marty

ungawa
July 13th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Last year was my first year hunting out of a ground blind and found that the does will come out after the blind has been set up for about 3 days. I had one big buck stick his head out of the cedars and he saw the blind and took off right away. I was told by a fellow hunter that if you can put up a couple of post and hang some cheap camo material between the post approximately the size of your ground blind the deer will be use to something being there. When you set up you ground blind drop the camo material and place your ground blind in its place. This way you do not have an expensive ground blind setting out in the weather for months on end. I have yet to try it, but he said it works.

kansasheadhunt
July 13th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I utilize ground blinds while hunting here in Kansas primarily due to the lack of good trees to hang stands in. If you do find a tree around here, chances are it is a huge cottonwood that is either 6 foot in diameter or is very crooked. Ground blinds allow me to hunt in areas with no trees that I have seen mature buck frequent over the years. I have killed out of pop-up blinds and homemade blinds. I love to build my own out of lumber. I build mine 7 foot tall so I can shoot standing up since that is my preference. I sit on a barstool in my blind. This is the buck I took out of that ground blind last year.

grizzl
July 13th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I use the natural cover..blowdowns..hedges even open field grasses. Cut a in-dent ..clear the noisey leaves and have a turkey pad/seat. Hunt JUST like turkey. I string this in front of me..hang off branches..anyway to cover to my shoulders when I kneel..I use a full face net and just have my head above the fold..

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=669275

VERY Cheap but the most effective/successful ground blind hunt. I go the tent blinds for rain just to be out there in the rut. Ya can't stick em if ya ain't out there plus you get to scout see whats there AT THE LEAST..

Grizz1219
July 13th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Damn.. I clicked no and forgot my nine pointer... Took him with a rifle but I did kill one from a blind.. :(

bigoleboy
July 13th, 2010, 09:32 AM
I have killed many from a ground blind both gun and by bow. I feel ground blind hunting adds another dimension to bow hunting being eye to eye with the deer and watching them and then shooting when they turn. This only works in areas where there is a lot of blow down. NOt good in hardwood areas where there is no natural camo to blend in with I feel. :darkbeer: