PDA

View Full Version : New to Archery

DaveR129
July 16th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Hi all,

Sorry for any ignorance here, but I'm moving to Maine from Boston, and am interested in getting into archery purely in a target shooting setting with a longbow or recurve. I'm wondering if I need to get any permit or license for this. I have no interest in hunting. Thanks all for your help, and any advice in getting into the sport is much appreciated.

-Dave

rockdeer
July 16th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Hi all,

Sorry for any ignorance here, but I'm moving to Maine from Boston, and am interested in getting into archery purely in a target shooting setting with a longbow or recurve. I'm wondering if I need to get any permit or license for this. I have no interest in hunting. Thanks all for your help, and any advice in getting into the sport is much appreciated.

-Dave

Hello Dave, and welcome to the sport of Archery. To answer your question, No you don't need any type of permit to persue any kind of Archery unless you're going to go out hunting. It dosen't matter if you're going to shoot indoor tatget or 3-d outside. If you don't mind my asking, what town are you moving too? I might be able to direct you to a good pro shop. Good luck! Oh, by the way, There's no ignorance when you're to the sport and the state.

DaveR129
July 16th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Hello Dave, and welcome to the sport of Archery. To answer your question, No you don't need any type of permit to persue any kind of Archery unless you're going to go out hunting. It dosen't matter if you're going to shoot indoor tatget or 3-d outside. If you don't mind my asking, what town are you moving too? I might be able to direct you to a good pro shop. Good luck! Oh, by the way, There's no ignorance when you're to the sport and the state.

Thank you so much for your help. We're actually not sure which town we're moving to at this point. It will be one of either Farmington, Waterville, Livermore, or Winthrop. With myself working in the Dixfield area and my fiance working in Augusta.

rockdeer
July 21st, 2010, 04:53 PM
I don't know about Dixfield but in Gardner which is right next to Agusta, you will find the Sportsman BARR. Stop by there and see Steve. I'm sure that he can get you started on the right track. You can tell him that Tim Rockwell sent you. Good Luck.

DaveR129
July 21st, 2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks alot Tim. We're actually going to be living in Waterville, so Gardiner is a much more convenient drive. Thanks again for the help.

Any advice or suggestion on bow style or company? I have been leaning toward a recurve.

MEstickshooter
July 22nd, 2010, 09:36 PM
Hi Dave.. if you are going to be living in Waterville there is a pretty good club with a outdoor range in Skowhegan, the Somerset Bowhunter club, with a 3-d shoot scheduled on 29 August, if your available.

DaveR129
July 22nd, 2010, 10:18 PM
Hi Dave.. if you are going to be living in Waterville there is a pretty good club with a outdoor range in Skowhegan, the Somerset Bowhunter club, with a 3-d shoot scheduled on 29 August, if your available.

That would be great to see. It'll be a busy time, but I'll see if I can make it. Do they have a per visit fee or an annual membership?

MEstickshooter
July 23rd, 2010, 08:18 AM
Dave.. The annual fee for a individual is $20, off hand I don't know what the family rate is but a lot of members drop by in the evening to use the range and shoot some 3-d targets.

rockdeer
July 27th, 2010, 03:04 PM

Somerset puts on a real nice shoot Dave.

DaveR129
July 28th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Great. Thanks a lot for the info guys.