PDA

View Full Version : three lakes wma

bama29
July 27th, 2010, 07:48 PM
i drew 3 lakes wma i have never hunted there before does anyone know anything about it looks like theres sections to it north of the lake and south where shoulod i go ? trhanks

FredGarvin
July 30th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I camp off williams rd/441 entrance and have setups all over Rd1 as well as Rd12 west of the turnpike. My suggestion is to head over to googlemaps/bingmaps and pick out some spots to check. Of course, I'd suggest the hard to get to areas --- there is simply less traffic. But don't think no one has every been there or will be there as it's public land. Also, don't overlook the areas up front as we took quite a few animals last season less than 2mi from the entrance --- most just drive right on by the game.

I tend to setup on cypress heads --- I might have several stands in and around a particular head depending upon sign/traffic evidence and will stick to that as long as I keep seeing sign and animals. Once general gun opens, everything changes so hunt hard during archery. It's going to be tough going in blind opening day -- you need a good season or two and a bunch of time to really figure things out for a particular WMA.

soflanut
July 30th, 2010, 10:19 PM
http://www.myfwc.com/docs/Brochures/10-11_Three_Lakes.pdf

I use to camp off 523 and Rd 5B, haven't been up there in a couple of years may try this year. There was always signs of animals. It can be busy during the weekends but quiet during the week.

Always saw a lot of deer and turkey on the Pairie Lake Unit, but you need a special permit to hunt there.

Good Luck. Report back how it was.

FredGarvin
July 31st, 2010, 12:16 AM
Also, when reviewing aerial imagery you want to be able to pick out the vegeation types. Here's a couple of images that might help you determine what you are looking at when you are scouting via the computers.

First: this is just a general view that shows the various vegetation types that you can use to match up to what you see in the aerials you are using to scout.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii135/jamesfreddyc/VegTypes.jpg

Next: here is an actual hog setup I have. This is a pretty typical setup for me, a stand on the edge but just inside the cypress head looking north into grass and palmetto where the hogs tend to forage. Also too is that deer/pigs will travel right thru the middle of this head at times too, or travel on along the east side (which is good because the winds generally come out of the east/northeast) and this is a fairly decent stand location.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii135/jamesfreddyc/3LakesHogSetup1-1.jpg

Centropomus spp
August 6th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Bings birds eye view is great to weed down the list of places to check out, especially for long distance hunts!

bama29
August 9th, 2010, 09:44 PM
fred you remind me of me i was out there this past weekend and google it like you did but and my gps marks on places i wanted to go look at thanks guys good luck :beer:

FredGarvin
August 9th, 2010, 10:45 PM
fred you remind me of me i was out there this past weekend and google it like you did but and my gps marks on places i wanted to go look at thanks guys good luck :beer:

I've put in my time at ThreeLakes over the past 5 or 6 years and to be honest, it is really just now starting to pay off. A 3hr drive and limited to weekends mostly, it can take quite a while to really build up a bit of knowledge about a particular area --- and even areas within the WMA itself can vary greatly!

The aerials are a great starting tool, and it helps to be able to pick out the vegetation in the big picture overall view when you are at the truck and going in for a scout. It really cuts down on the "whats over there", helping to filter out the wasted time you might put in if you didn't have the aerial image.

I try and break up my routine each year by trying something new (for me anyway). And quite often these new things end up in the bag of tricks. For example, west of the turnpike the vegetation is a bit different: a lot more cypress head islands with larger expanses of grass/prarie fields. DO NOT overlook the fields --- you would be quite surprised just how invisible an animal is that is bedded down in that grass (they blend in perfectly).

I never really thought about it because I just automatically had it in my mind the game is hidden in the thick stuff. But that's not always the case!

Centropomus spp
August 10th, 2010, 10:02 PM
DO NOT overlook the fields --- you would be quite surprised just how invisible an animal is that is bedded down in that grass (they blend in perfectly).

I never really thought about it because I just automatically had it in my mind the game is hidden in the thick stuff. But that's not always the case!

This is amazingly true.....and something I seem to have difficulty remembering:wink:!

FredGarvin
August 11th, 2010, 07:51 AM
This is amazingly true.....and something I seem to have difficulty remembering:wink:!

It's so easy getting caught up doing the same routine season after season. Especially when "some" success comes you way --- because you end up missing out on other opportunities! I've had to learn this stuff the hard way as I've hunted by myself for a few years. Now only recently have friends/family started to get involved and it's nice to be able to have a bit of knowledge built up to at least get them a decent opportunity at taking some game.

bama29
August 12th, 2010, 09:30 PM
i yse to run dogs at richloam wma and we always would jump deer out it the open beded down i want to get out there ,weekend after next it the evening with my climber and see what comes out in the evening, any one every try that glassing from a ways off?

Duckbill
August 12th, 2010, 09:41 PM
i yse to run dogs at richloam wma and we always would jump deer out it the open beded down i want to get out there ,weekend after next it the evening with my climber and see what comes out in the evening, any one every try that glassing from a ways off?

Hey Bama,
Who'd you run dogs with at Richloam?

FredGarvin
August 12th, 2010, 10:13 PM

Glassing and moving slow. But even still, very difficult to get close enough with a stalk on a deer out there in the open -- especially if there are more than one in a group. It can be done, but it's not always about a kill everytime. I might glass an open area, locate them and watch to see where they are entering/exiting at --- this almost always ends up being a good stand location. Or at minium shows you where a good travel route is.

bama29
August 13th, 2010, 09:37 PM
ronnie bridges and his brother kenny i know mike black

Duckbill
August 20th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I snagged a 3 Lakes ML hunt yesterday in phase 3. I'm anxious to get out there and do some scouting. I haven't hunted 3 Lakes in many moons.

evolution.727
September 24th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Fred are you going out on the 25th and 26th to hunt.I'll be out there on friday to scout and set up camp.I'm prob going to stay till wed.