PDA

View Full Version : A ? for Climbers

Jigfish
July 31st, 2010, 03:24 PM
I am planning on buying a summit vipper next week. This is kind a changing my mind about getting a climbers but think it will be to my advantage to buy one. Not having a ladder showing. Able to get up as high as you want.

1. I have been told " It takes you forever to get set up. Hooking up to the tree, climbing, pulling the bow up and so on ".

So my question is, What is your routine from the time you get to the tree. to being setup, having your bow in your lap?

2. Do you put your bow in your lap or do you put a bow holders in the tree?

G20
July 31st, 2010, 03:29 PM
Initially it will take a little longer because you're not use to it. Once you have a routine it becomes easier. Just practice before using.

I use an EZ hang bow arm that screws into the tree. I climb and then pull it up and hang it. Sometimes i will rest it across the top of the rail.

It takes me a little longer in cold weather because i carry my bibs and parka in and put them on once i am in the stand.

zap
July 31st, 2010, 03:30 PM
Two things are or sure:

It will be faster and quieter if you practice aot before you hunt.

Its hard to take a leak with your bow in your lap, so you probably better count on a bowhanger.

marty

boringdad
July 31st, 2010, 03:35 PM
I don't have a summit, but it takes me about 15 min from when I get to the base of my tree. In that I mean get rope out of packand all. No I don't hold the bow. I use a holder on the tree. Use to use a holder on my stand, but after I shot my first deer the arrow was about to bounce off the rest with the bow in the holder. I was shaking pretty bad.

One eye
July 31st, 2010, 03:38 PM
I have never had a problem with climbing "taking too long". Just get used to whatever stand you buy and you will be fine.

Dan

GTO63
July 31st, 2010, 03:40 PM
The more you climb with your stand it becomes second nature and you get faster at setting up.
I also use an Ez hanger where your your bow is just arms reach away and you wont nervous about dropping your bow from 20 ft when resting it on the rail!

va limbhanger
July 31st, 2010, 03:57 PM
I just got a Summit Razor a week ago, and haven't yet been up a tree, but after putting it together, watching the video, and experience from my other climbers I would bet my average set up time in the dark will be less than 15 min. I have a couple Loggy's that I've used over the years and I average about 15 min. once I take the stand off my back until I'm up the tree with my bow on the holder.
Another great advantage with a climber that I like is "ease of movement". If I set up blindly in the a/m before light and find out that the deer pattern or pinch point is a little farther up or over the next ridge, then it's nothing really to come back down and change your location. I use a bow hanger to hang my bow instead of setting it in my lap. You could also look at the bow holder by Summit that attaches right to your tubing on your treestand. It looks pretty simple to use.

dcso3009
July 31st, 2010, 04:08 PM
It all depends on the climb. I have some that I am up in 5 minutes, others take 30 including a rest part way up. The tree has a lot to do with it. A good tree will make all the difference. If it leans, or has a lot of taper it takes longer. I have some that I have to stop and adjust the cables part way up. The top is easy to do, but the bottom is a challenge. Kneeling in the seat sling and working below is hard!

I hunt with a Summit Goliath. Just a bit bigger than the Viper, but I need the extra space. 1 minute to take off the back and on the tree. Climb time usually less than 3 minutes. Strap around the top section and sit 1 minute or less. Sure the hook to hang a pack or bow takes a few minutes, but I have about 20 small ones and leave them if I plan on coming back soon. If not they thread in easier in an old hole.

As said above, practice helps a lot. Also keep in mind you may be working muscles that you are not used to. My abs really hurt after the first few times up each year.

jrs
July 31st, 2010, 11:09 PM
First of all, get some type of bow hanger or holder. Your time on stand will be much more comfortable without a bow in your lap. I use Realtree EZ hangers and really like them.

Like others have said, you need to practice to get good at using a climber. Once you get the hang of it, you should easily be able to get to your tree, unpack, attach to the tree, climb up and pull your bow up in less than 15 minutes. I use a Summit Razor and have been completely happy with it.

cmorleyk
July 31st, 2010, 11:18 PM
Your getting a great climber that will make climbing safe as well...a heavy stand, but very solid. Ensure your tied in from the get-go and practice, practice and practice. Not just the up/down but set up as well, the tying off of the bow, the bow arm, back pack (if you have one), securing the top of the stand to the tree so it doesn't fall upon rising our of the seat, adjusting seat to proper height, acquanting yourself with proper distance between each piece of stand, tying them together in case the worst happens (happened to me), shooting from the platform, setting up in the dark, taking steps to mitigate noise (dreaded metallic ping), etc., etc. Also try (as is practical to do so) to acquaint yourself with the angle the stand must be started upon based upon taper of the tree. This is very important as you don't want the platform to break parallel prior to reaching desired height!!!Once your confident in your skills, you could be at 20' on a decent tree and ready to go w/o breaking a sweat in 15 min's. Good luck!

Beretta1984
July 31st, 2010, 11:33 PM
+1 on the team realtree bow hanger (other ones break easier i found). it only takes a few minutes to wrap the cables and start climbing

shec6135
July 31st, 2010, 11:41 PM
i use a bow hanger too when i'm up in my climber, it's called a stick, they seem to be all around me when i climb up into a tree!:wink::confused::zip:

I just got a Summit Razor a week ago, and haven't yet been up a tree, but after putting it together, watching the video, and experience from my other climbers I would bet my average set up time in the dark will be less than 15 min. I have a couple Loggy's that I've used over the years and I average about 15 min. once I take the stand off my back until I'm up the tree with my bow on the holder.
Another great advantage with a climber that I like is "ease of movement". If I set up blindly in the a/m before light and find out that the deer pattern or pinch point is a little farther up or over the next ridge, then it's nothing really to come back down and change your location. I use a bow hanger to hang my bow instead of setting it in my lap. You could also look at the bow holder by Summit that attaches right to your tubing on your treestand. It looks pretty simple to use.

shec6135
July 31st, 2010, 11:47 PM
Your getting a great climber that will make climbing safe as well...a heavy stand, but very solid. Ensure your tied in from the get-go and practice, practice and practice. Not just the up/down but set up as well, the tying off of the bow, the bow arm, back pack (if you have one), securing the top of the stand to the tree so it doesn't fall upon rising our of the seat, adjusting seat to proper height, acquanting yourself with proper distance between each piece of stand, tying them together in case the worst happens (happened to me), shooting from the platform, setting up in the dark, taking steps to mitigate noise (dreaded metallic ping), etc., etc. Also try (as is practical to do so) to acquaint yourself with the angle the stand must be started upon based upon taper of the tree. This is very important as you don't want the platform to break parallel prior to reaching desired height!!!Once your confident in your skills, you could be at 20' on a decent tree and ready to go w/o breaking a sweat in 15 min's. Good luck!

on a more serious note i own some sort of the viper too and i would highly recomend getting that spray in a can to put on some of the metal parts that will give you away countless times. i was going to buy a can of this rhino linning sound dampening stuff from a hunting store and the guy working behind the desk said to go down to the auto store and get the same stuff for 1/3 the price, figured i'd pass on the word:darkbeer:

FORCE43
August 1st, 2010, 12:27 AM
Don't forget to hook your pull rope to your bow it really sucks when you go to pull your bow up only to find out you have to climb back down. It is something you will only forget to do once though !