PDA

View Full Version : Moving back to the West

huntelk
August 4th, 2010, 11:10 AM
After about 15 years away from the Mountain states I am finally moving back.

We are looking at residing in one of the following towns:

Casper
Glenrock
Newcastle
Torrington
Wheatland
Douglas
Gillette

They are listed in the order my wife put them after our visit a couple weeks ago. We have 2 young ones that are not in school yet. My wife will be a stay-at-home mom until they are in school at least.

She has been a Kansas City girl her whole life so this is going to be a big adjustment for her. We are looking for the best place to raise our kids. Her idea is a city with lots of activity (ie Casper/Cheyenne).

I grew up on a cattle ranch in the sticks, so my choice is "away" from the big city. I will be on the road a lot, so she needs to be where she feels safe, welcome and has something for her and the kids to do.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions are welcome, and you can PM me if you don't want your thoughts to be public.

We are both archery hunters first, but enjoy the black powder and rifle hunting too. She loves to fish lakes (had her own bass boat when we married) and fly fish. She has been around horses most of her life and has been in the animal health field her whole career.

I like the Wheatland area myself as I spent quite a bit of time fishing Glendo and Grayrocks years ago. Being only about an hour from Cheyenne is a plus for her to go "to town".

Where would you guys suggest?

huntnmuleys
August 6th, 2010, 10:56 PM
any of em sound good, for different reasons. i wouldnt personally live in gillette, things are pricey there and its kinda out of the way.

EMSBMR
August 6th, 2010, 11:11 PM
My wife and I currently live in Pittsburgh, PA but plan on moving to Cheyenne, WY after she is finished with her Masters Degree in Nursing. We plan on going there next summer to scout for housing. I can't wait!

EMSBMR
August 6th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Some friends don't think we'll ever make the move. Ever since we visited Yellowstone a few years back, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about that place.

elkchaser503
August 8th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Casper is WINDY, WINDY, WINDY... did i say it is WINDY there:D

Wyoming
August 8th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Ya it's wind here some times, But we have most of the amenities unlike most of Wyoming. I'm not a city person, but coming from the South Bend Indiana area Casper is not to bad. As far as work goes Casper probally has the best chances, or out of cheyenne you could commute to Fort Collins. Casper is centrally located, about 3 hours from everywhere lol. Which can come in handy for hunting if you hunt, there is not much for general elk around Casper (you need to go west for the better general elk areas) But we have muddy mountain tag and the laramie tag right here. If you draw one of those there are alot of huge bulls in both those areas. Glenrock would be good choice too if you dont mind the commute to casper for work and big shopping, alot smaller community pretty little town. We have considered move there our selves. It's only about 20 miles to casper

2wyoming
August 28th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Caspers a great town to live in.
I would choose Riverton. Dont know why I like that town so well, but somethings just stick with you